AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 13 yer old motorized screen that is installed flush in the ceiling stopped working after a power outage. We suspect it may be a problem with the trigger but is more likely a fried motor. The authorized Da Lite dealer I had out to repair said the repair would cost around $500-$700 for a new motor and $1000 for labor. The equivalent new screen would cost $2950 plus labor to install. Da Lite does not make that size screen anymore so I may have to have a carpenter out to create a new box to install in the ceiling. The service guy unquestionably wants us to buy a cheaper smaller screen and just install it on one wall of the box that was used for the old screen. I think I need a new service guy. I love how when you walk in the room you cannot tell that there is a projector or screen. Is it worth finding a new service person to replace the motor? or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new motorized screen and hire a carpenter to make it fit in the ceiling.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this project.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well, I would want to know the root cause of the failure, you did not sound sure. Is there power to the screen motor, is there a breaker or internal fuse within the screen case? A motor does not burn out due to a power failure, unless it was a lighting strike? $1000 labor seem a bit high.. rent 2 guys for an hour or 2 to remove the screen from the ceiling ($100?) replace motor .. how many hours does that take???? put screen back up.. $100. I guess everyone has to make a living...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...I think I need a new service guy. He even charged me $99 just to look at it. He said he didn’t have the proper tools to determine whether there was power going to the motor. When the screen was installed, the switch was not installed so the screen runs off of a trigger from the projector. The service guy called Da lite service and they walked him through the two possible motors the screen could have. I think I’ll have someone else take the screen out of the ceiling and try to find someone else do a diagnostic to determine the problem. Now I just have to find someone else.... thanks for the advise. Any recommendations for the Northern Virginia area. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Hmmm...I think I need a new service guy. He even charged me $99 just to look at it. He said he didn’t have the proper tools to determine whether there was power going to the motor. When the screen was installed, the switch was not installed so the screen runs off of a trigger from the projector. The service guy called Da lite service and they walked him through the two possible motors the screen could have. I think I’ll have someone else take the screen out of the ceiling and try to find someone else do a diagnostic to determine the problem. Now I just have to find someone else.... thanks for the advise. Any recommendations for the Northern Virginia area. Thanks!
Sorry I'm a DIY guy, used to be an Auto Mechanic, currently in IT, lots of hobbies.. Just don't have luck paying people to do things.. So my advice is just how I would handle it. Identify root cause of the issue and price out a repair vs new. I have a hard time with pricing, people ask me to do things and I don't charge them.. I do know local auto repair shops are now charging over well over $100 hour (was $40 in my day) so maybe it is $1000 job. However, I agree you may want a different guy if he does not have a volt meter to check a 12v trigger voltage. Also if you know which end of the screen has motor, you may want just turn on the projector and give that motor a tap with a small hammer or piece of wood. In the repair world the technical name of the test is the Tap Test! :) I assume the breaker that feeds the screen has been manually cycled (flipped off and on)?
Good luck

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Just offering my well over three decades of experience building screen systems. First, check the power supply output going from either your projector's trigger, or if your trigger is using an outboard wall wart transformer plugged into a switched AC outlet. If either is not putting out low votage, or if you have a bad cable between the two, then the screen trigger will not engage. If those are good, the next suspect would be the relay located in the screen trigger. Mechanical relays are known to stick and fail. Over the years we have had to replaced many of them. And last, the possibility of the screen's intube motor failing is possible, but highly unlikely. If so, the motor replacement cost for your size screen should be four to five hundred including the seller's markup. I can't see the repair labor being more than three hours, and that's with a very slowmo moving tech. Anyway, wishing good luck and a remedy for your fix.

Regards,
Don

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
One other thing you can check; See if within the projector menu there isn't a setting to turn OFF the trigger? It would seem there should be, there may be times you don't want the screen to active when the projector is turned on or off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts