I just saw these titles listed:

The Mummy

The Fast And The Furious

Cape Fear

Snow Falling On Cedars

Meet Joe Black

Evolution

The Time Machine

Unfortunately, these follow the Universal Studios $39.99 pricing scheme. At least is is better than the original $45-50 that some titles tried to market at.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I like the $34.95 pricing scheme better. That's probably what HD-DVD will list for. D-theater's time has passed. If I buy 4 tapes this year, that'll be a miracle. There are just so few compelling choices at current retail (Tower) prices. My dvd purchases will exceed 1200 in 2003 alone.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ollie, I agree with the pricing, but I am able to get most titles for $24.03 over the internet, so they aren't too steep. Shipping is a couple of bucks, but no tax, so I cannot justify getting the DVD when it is available on D-Theater. Unfortunately, several titles are ones that I already own on DVD and don't want to buy twice. Maybe if they could get New Line to release Lord of the Rings, I would buy it again. I already bought that twice on DVD and would love to get it on D-Theater in an extended edition.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
None of these movies interest me. The lack of blockbusters in this format after over a year on the market is a major impediment to this format.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
It's time may be slipping away but it will not have passed until we start to see prerecorded HDDVD titles that can match or exceed it's quality.
I agree with you Art but if they continue to put out such limited titles at the slow pace they are doing it almost makes me not buy any of them and wait for HD-DVD. I have bought 6 D-Theater titles so far and will buy The Fast and the Furious but I just wish HD-DVD would hurry up and get here so we can have lots of titles from all the studios.

Mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
It's time may be slipping away but it will not have passed until we start to see prerecorded HDDVD titles that can match or exceed it's quality.

Art
Art,

In your HT pics, I could not find your JVC DVHS in the "wooden equipment rack" with your other components???? Special place??

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Quote:
but I just wish HD-DVD would hurry up and get here so we can have lots of titles from all the studios.
Don't be fooled my friend. When DVD was released with all of its 27 or so titles I felt the same way. It took almost 18 months to start finally getting quality titles (IMO) that were really worth buying. Not only that, but several studios didn't support DVD for quite a while.

Day-and-date with VHS also took quite a while to happen. The DVD version was sometimes released up to a year later (Titanic for example). Hell Star Wars, Indy and other major titles still aren't released yet and here it is 6 years later....

Bottom line, don't expect the studios to jump on the band wagon right away and when they do, the release pattern will be exactly like D-Theater.

I'm not holding my breath for HD-DVD although I'll embrace it once it gets here.

I like about 75% of the titles released on D-Theater so far but again that's my opinion.

Quote:
The lack of blockbusters...
I'm not sure what you'd call a blockbuster, but by most accounts it's a high grossing movie and as an FYI - The Fast and The Furious made over $144M, The Mummy made over $350M, Cape Fear made over $80M.

There are numerous titles that are released or planned that have won and/or been nominated for Oscars, BAFTA, Golden Globes, Image Awards and many, many other award categories.

Gentlemen, if you don't like the titles, don't buy em'.

Troy

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
dup....

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
"Bottom line, don't expect the studios to jump on the band wagon right away and when they do, the release pattern will be exactly like D-Theater. "

This is speculation, and I completely disagree with it, your analysis, and your conclusion. I believe the HD-DVD roll out will be very aggressive with all the majors releasing many titles at launch, with a flood to follow, day and date with VHS and SD DVD.

TM

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hope you are correct:

--------------- However:

--------------1. It didn't happen with prerecorded VHS Tapes

-------------2. It didn't happen with prerecorded Beta Tapes

--------------3. It didn't happen with RCA SelectaVision Videodiscs

-------------4. It didn't happen with laserdiscs

--------------5. It didn't happen with DVDs

Maybe, this time.............. :confused:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blizzard
Maybe, this time.............. :confused:
The difference is that now there is a LOT of money being made in pre-recorded video. If there is anything that will tide the flow of HD-DVD titles it will be studio's uncertainty about the number of HD viewers out there (and maybe their fear of theft).

-phil

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"I believe the HD-DVD roll out will be very aggressive with all the majors releasing many titles at launch, with a flood to follow, day and date with VHS and SD DVD."

I will be very suprised if we see pre-recorded HD-DVD material any time soon. How many does that format appeal to among Joe Sixpack's. Studios will not risk releasing HD-material on HD-DVD before they get a big return - that will not be any time soon.

Per Johnny

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes
My dvd purchases will exceed 1200 in 2003 alone.
At an average price of $15.00 per DVD, that is $18,000.00.

I just have to know: A. Do you watch all of these?

B. Once viewed does a disc ever again see the light

of day (laser light:D )?

C. Have you heard of NETFLIX?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
I will be very suprised if we see pre-recorded HD-DVD material any time soon.
So will I, because they are still well into milking the dvd cash cow let alone moving onto HD-Dvd. I think we have far too many AVS members who think the world revolves around HT. The fact is that Joe average could not care one bit about upgrading for the sake of having the latest greatest HT format.

The hardware manufacturers might want more formats like HD-Dvd, because as we know sales of hardware do slow down, but the reality is that software guys do not just sell one or two disks to an owner of a dvd player. So for them a format is worth more as a long term answer to keeping them employed.

Pre-recorded HD-Dvd is a long way off yet (two years or so I imagine), but recordable HD-Dvd is obviously very real in Japan. I think blue laser record-able dvd is going to be a storage god send for the PC industry that far outweighs the consumer need for pre-recorded HD-Dvd.

DavidW

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone associated with D-Theater has always maintained that it is a niche product. Something to provide consumer with HDTV while HD-DVD is being developed. I don't think anyone here would claim that it will reach beyond the tech enthusiast. I appreciate a way to watch HD (not withstanding the crappy VCR). HD-DVD is far from hitting the streets. Electronic firms are still trying to come to a consensus about the technology medium. They still have to work on copy protection robust enough for Hollywood. That doesn't even begin to touch rights and licensing fees. Plus they may not be willing to eat into the sales of regular DVD.

The Mummy should be fun.

·
Registered
24,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blizzard
Art,

In your HT pics, I could not find your JVC DVHS in the "wooden equipment rack" with your other components???? Special place??

Tom,

Since the 30Ks are so fragile I have gone to keeping it in a room with positive pressure air flow. This insures the "clean room" that the device likes best. This room is also maintained at 55 degrees F since the overheating during DTheater play appears to be one of the primary reasons for the macroblocking malfunction we often saw before.

Since one of the theories regarding malfunction was RF interference, this room also has a Richard Gray RF blocking unit for it's unique and dedicated power supply.

Just kidding:D Some of my pictures predate the purchase of the JVC.

Art

·
Registered
471 Posts
LOL, LOL !!! Thanks for the "tag line". You actually "had me going there." :eek:

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
While many of the D-Theater titles aren't the 'crown jewels' many are titles that are not memorable titles. In my opinion, only Fox has oppened their coffers with some really big titles (Independence Day, Die Hard) while Universal seems to avoid putting out any AAA+ titles (Jaws).

Backdraft, U-571, Fast and the Furious are A+ (maybe even AA+) titles, they certainly aren't the AAA+ titles one should expect.

Even Hi-Vision LD had bigger titles available: E.T., Jurassic Park, Top Gun, Lawerence of Arabia, Close Encounters, Back to the Future.

Oh well.....yes, D-Theater is a niche product..but a little "too niche" than it should be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.