AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am waiting 30 days then pulling the trigger. Both sets seem very comparable (unless mistsu throws a wrentch with the 73) if you were buying based on spec what would you get?????//

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) point taken. I guess I meant in actually ordering one which I can do with Onecall on the 72 inch Tosh

·
Registered
785 Posts
You gotta lotta ballz that I don't to preorder either of these sets site unseen, given they are $5000+. To steep for me w/o taking it for a test drive at a store...

Last I heard both were due in Sept, but word has been scarce the last few months, which makes you wonder if they are still on track.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
With JVC's history of poor BL and CR I would go lean havily towards Toshiba.

I bought my Samsung 6188 sight unseen and love it. If you do the same

I would recommend make sure you get a 30 day zero cost return policy...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have ordered my 70" JVC sight unseen. Their DiLa projection sets are the standard in non-crt front projectors, and even Faroudja has seen fit to use them, and I have installed various, so I am more inclined to go with JVC, even though the engine in the RPTV may be a bit different, they both still use the 3 chip DiLa arrangement at 1080p. Anyway, I am tired of vacillatting back & forth, and our co. does other biz with Samsung, and we are not happy campers now

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was this the 1080P model you ordered? If so where did you already pre-order this unit????????

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Quote:
With JVC's history of poor BL and CR
The key word there is "history" as in the past. The last 3 sets that I demo'ed (two were '05 models) CA and purity was NOT a issue.

(that's not to say a set can't turn up with it)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce

I bought my Samsung 6188 sight unseen and love it. If you do the same

I would recommend make sure you get a 30 day zero cost return policy...

Go back to your Samsung groupie threads --- you're just getiing laughed at here trying to bash sets that are miles ahead of Samsung in PQ and reliability. It's almost delusional to think that artifact and noise-filled, not to mention unreliable and buggy 1st generation of recently-released Samsung 1080P sets could be mentioned in the same breath with the soon-to-be-released JVC 1080P D-ILA's. Or any of the other coming 1080P Microdisplays for that matter. You got stuck with the ugly duckling of this year's 1080P's. don't annoy the people patiently waiting for the GOOD stuff:)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd
I have ordered my 70" JVC sight unseen. Their DiLa projection sets are the standard in non-crt front projectors, and even Faroudja has seen fit to use them, and I have installed various, so I am more inclined to go with JVC, even though the engine in the RPTV may be a bit different, they both still use the 3 chip DiLa arrangement at 1080p. Anyway, I am tired of vacillatting back & forth, and our co. does other biz with Samsung, and we are not happy campers now
Not surprising. Many similar complaints from others. Samsung quality control seems to be getting WORSE, even though that does seem hard to imagine.

If the production D-ILA 1080P's are anything like the CES Demos, you will LOVE this set!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook
Well I am waiting 30 days then pulling the trigger. Both sets seem very comparable (unless mistsu throws a wrentch with the 73) if you were buying based on spec what would you get?????//
The JVC was the star of the show at the CES and the coming Toshibas are said to be the best of this year's DLP crop, so you can hardly go wrong. Still, i would advise eyeballing any prospective purchase. Sight- Unseen decisions on anything this expensive are not totally rational, imo.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gazelle, while I appreciate your tenacity towards JVC and Tosh products arent you jumping the gun a bit having not seen an actual production set? I mean we all know CES tv's are getting optimal signals and have been calibrated to the best display possible. In real world situations that simply may not play itself out in the case of JVC and Tosh. While I agree I have not been blown away by Samsung, I cannot say in the pre 1080p race there was a clear winner in my mind. You cannot forget the most important facet of any discussion like this is that all of this is subjective. You can see the JVC/Tosh world through rose colored glasses while others may see rainbows :) so lets save the slamming words for real world comparisons when they are all out in the wild ok ?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Gazelle, while I appreciate your tenacity towards JVC and Tosh products arent you jumping the gun a bit having not seen an actual production set? I mean we all know CES tv's are getting optimal signals and have been calibrated to the best display possible. In real world situations that simply may not play itself out in the case of JVC and Tosh. While I agree I have not been blown away by Samsung, I cannot say in the pre 1080p race there was a clear winner in my mind. You cannot forget the most important facet of any discussion like this is that all of this is subjective. You can see the JVC/Tosh world through rose colored glasses while others may see rainbows :) so lets save the slamming words for real world comparisons when they are all out in the wild ok ?
I agree -that's why i said you would have to be crazy to buy ANYTHING sight unseen. The only production model 1080P's that i've seen so far are the Samsungs( disappointing). and the Mitsubishis( pretty decent). However you didn't mention Mitsubishi or Samsung or Sony. Had you i would have advised considering the Mitsubishis and STRONGLY considering the Sony 1080P SXRD's, and advised against the Samsungs. You asked for opinions on 1080P JVC's & Toshiba's. The ONLY VALID opinion one could give on the JVC 1080P D-ILA's is the unanimous one formed by all at the CES - It was a terrific set, better than anything there except for the Qualia - and not too far off of that! As for the Toshiba 1080P's, no one has seen one yet and the only opinion i have is the one that is prevalent among neutral industry people: if you want a 1080P DLP this year, Toshiba is the way to go. Again, only your opinion really counts, i'll repeat: SEE these sets for yourself before deciding...

As far as "slamming", you asked for an opinion on two sets and i said both are very good choices. what in the world are you talking about???

Did you mean the prior poster who was slamming your JVC choice???

I think he's wrong, but he's certainly entitled to slam JVC, it's one of the two brands you are asking for an opinion on....

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
Go back to your Samsung groupie threads --- you're just getiing laughed at here trying to bash sets that are miles ahead of Samsung in PQ and reliability. It's almost delusional to think that artifact and noise-filled, not to mention unreliable and buggy 1st generation of recently-released Samsung 1080P sets could be mentioned in the same breath with the soon-to-be-released JVC 1080P D-ILA's. Or any of the other coming 1080P Microdisplays for that matter. You got stuck with the ugly duckling of this year's 1080P's. don't annoy the people patiently waiting for the GOOD stuff:)
Gazelle,

If the Toshiba 1080p DLP is anything like the Samsung 1080p DLP he will

be very happy :) The PQ is AMAZING. Its like looking through a window!

How much is JVC paying you to post this nonsense :)

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Very well said...

·
Registered
216 Posts

Leonard Gee said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce

QUOTE]

Newbie here. What is BL? CR?

Thanks in advance.
BL = Black Levels

CR = Contrast Ratio

I do not have a lot of experience looking at the Toshiba sets, but I think most would agree that JVC, despite having bright sets, are lacking in the Black Level and Contrast Ratio game right now, and that DLPs are stronger in this category. Yes, JVC is supposed to have some great sets coming out, but if the past is any indication of the future, DLPs will continue to lead in this area for the time being.

I am sure that Gazelle has an opinion on this. I am speaking from personal experience and what I have read from the forums, not from my ass.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Suzook,

I have a wholesale distributor (for custom installation professionals) that we have placed a blanket order for several of the 70" models. If I have purchased new model cars sight unseen, I don't think this will be a biggee for me, anyway I do the majority of my viewing on a large plasma, this is for the f/r.

·
Registered
836 Posts
How does the older 70" JVC compare with the new 1080P set soon to be released. The prices on the 720P sets are very attractive. I thought the blacks on these sets looked similiar to the Sony LCD sets and the colors looked very saturated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.