AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my 60" Sharp Aquos (632U). Looking at replacing it with either a 70" Aquos (640 or 650U models) or a 65" Samsung plasma (entry level - I don't need smart tv and don't want 3d).

I sit 9.5 ft away from the screen, there is one big window close to the TV but I have blinds.. I was told that the biggest improvement I could make for picture quality was to switch from an LED to a plasma.

Budget is under 2,500. I'm in Canada..

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the 65ST60 the same as what you're referring to? I think it's 2,700 in Canada, so I would consider it.

Great set I assume?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked it up, looks like S is lower end than ST (no 3d and no smart tv) which is what I what.

But it's a great panel I assume, would I be amazed with this 65" panny plasma coming from the 60 sharp Aquos 632U??

·
Registered
20,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23203416

I looked it up, looks like S is lower end than ST (no 3d and no smart tv) which is what I what.

But it's a great panel I assume, would I be amazed with this 65" panny plasma coming from the 60 sharp Aquos 632U??

Amazed? only you could determine that

The ST60 is a better panel overall than the S60, but the S60 doesnt ahve the "extras" either.......Im not saying the S60 is a bad TV, its not, the ST60 however is just better

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23203416

It will make the sharp look like a blurry piece of junk. Your blacks on your S60 will be black instead of grey

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very interested then. I will look those 2 up this week and do some research and see what the price difference is between the two models. I need 65".. Anything smaller wont work for me since I had my eyes on the 70..

Thx very much.

You guys don't like Samsung plasmas? I have a 43" in the bedroom (never calibrated it or anything, just took it out of torch mode, and it's a low end model - PN43D450A2DXZC) is what sticker on TV says..) and I love the look of it..

·
Registered
20,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23203495

I'm very interested then. I will look those 2 up this week and do some research and see what the price difference is between the two models. I need 65".. Anything smaller wont work for me since I had my eyes on the 70..

Thx very much.

You guys don't like Samsung plasmas? I have a 43" in the bedroom (never calibrated it or anything, just took it out of torch mode, and it's a low end model - PN43D450A2DXZC) is what sticker on TV says..) and I love the look of it..

Its not that I dont like Samsung, but this year they dont have a model to compete with the lower tier Panasonics...The only one I would consider is the F8500 and that is out of your price range.......

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't like Samsung plasmas (or LCDs), but only because I have repaired far too many. Comparing my 2008 Panasonic plasma to my brother's 2012 ES8500 Samsung LED-LCD... the Panasonic just blows it away. The LED just doesn't have that look to it that you want from a TV. It's far too artificial. And it has started to go faulty; occasionally it locks up with a solid white screen...!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So.. In Canada the 65S60 is 2000 and the 65ST60 is 2700. Now I really like the bezel on the ST compared to the S, but obviously that doesn't justify 700 more. Like I said I don't care for 3D or smart tv stuff.. But I do see in the product sheets that the panel features seems considerably better on the ST. Would that justify 700 more, is the picture that much better than the S?

Would I be satisfied with the S?? Remember I was about to get a 70" sharp Aquos LED 640U and would have been happy with that since it would have been my 4th Aquos .. But I'm going plasma now.

Thx! I wanna buy this week, hopefully tomorrow and 2000 sounds better than 2700 but my ears are open..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23204491

well if u didn't have blinds on your window the ST would be a must because it has the anti reflection filter. But yea you can get away with the S and save 700 bucks

Thx appreciate it!

I can probably get the S for 1800 tomorrow, if not I found 1900 so that's decent considering my 2500 budget.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:

I am desperately trying to make my way back to plasma from my Sharp 70LE847U. The wife says I need to sell the Sharp first which is extremely tough to do, not many people locally want to spend 2 grand on a TV, and im selling it a huge loss

The Sharp is a great TV, for the most part the image quality is great but I just can't get past certain aspects of LCD after being spoiled with my Sammy PN50C8000 from 2010. I am almost at the point I want to give my parents the 70" and just take back my 50" Sammy. (Gave them my plasma as a present)

Where it really kills me is dark scenes, I can get past the black level not being as great, but when theres a really dark scenes and theres movement its almost like the picture gohots or blurs, if subtle details are moving theres massive motion blur..

It makes watching really dark movies such as the godfather EYE straining because it drives me insane.. I had a headache last night watching Zero Dark Thrity..

but if we are just comparing picture quality to picture quality.. plasma is still the king.. I have not seen a single LCD based TV that looks better than ever the lowe end

·
Registered
20,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23205828

I am desperately trying to make my way back to plasma from my Sharp 70LE847U. The wife says I need to sell the Sharp first which is extremely tough to do, not many people locally want to spend 2 grand on a TV, and im selling it a huge loss

The Sharp is a great TV, for the most part the image quality is great but I just can't get past certain aspects of LCD after being spoiled with my Sammy PN50C8000 from 2010. I am almost at the point I want to give my parents the 70" and just take back my 50" Sammy. (Gave them my plasma as a present)

Where it really kills me is dark scenes, I can get past the black level not being as great, but when theres a really dark scenes and theres movement its almost like the picture gohots or blurs, if subtle details are moving theres massive motion blur..

It makes watching really dark movies such as the godfather EYE straining because it drives me insane.. I had a headache last night watching Zero Dark Thrity..

but if we are just comparing picture quality to picture quality.. plasma is still the king.. I have not seen a single LCD based TV that looks better than ever the lowe end

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23205840

Sharp Elite and Sony 950 are two that have black levels that could rival almsot any plasma
.......Of course there is a price premium for that, but they are out there..

The black levels of the sharp elite are fantastic..

Still doesn't fix the slight bluring and image ghosting in dark scenes.. its a problem with the technology. Ive watched content on the elite and in regards to the thing that really drives me bonkers (bluring, jello like effect during movement in really dark scenes) the elite suffers from it like any other LCD ive seen.

It tweaks my eyes out so bad. I never really noticed it before i went to plasma, but after staring at a plasma for 4 years.. I notice it on every single LCD TV including the elite.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx for the input! I ordered a 65S60 this morning, coming in in a few weeks..

Given that I was very seriously considering the 70" Aquos 640U or 650U (since my last three TVs were Aquos), I now think that I'll be very satisfied with the 65" S60. Really looking forward to hooking it up, I don't think I'll be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1468251/70-sharp-aquos-or-65-samsung-plasma#post_23205882

For me it would boil down to the brighter and 70" vs the better PQ 65". LED = possibly unacceptable Off axis viewing and the plasma = possible buzzing and IR. Picks your poison.

You kinda lost me, LED viewing angle fine.. But buzzing and IR on the plasma?? You mean it will interfere with the commands from my Harmony One remote??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts