Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to be running speaker cable for HT and the fronts will be 70 foot runs. Can anyone suggest what to use that would provide good shielding with 12AWG?

I am powering the speakers with 2 apt holmans (125 watt) and a Aragon 4004.

Thank you for help!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I think shielded speaker cable will have too much capacitance at that length. Why not one of those star quad cables or some kind of somewhat twisted cable? Why not any good inwall cable?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have received suggestions to stick with CL2 or CL3 12AWG and have found inwall wire that meets that. What is star quad? I'm not familar with it.

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bedo, I believe that 'star quad' simply means 4-conductor cable, and they're suggesting using two diagonally-opposed conductors as one conductor, and the other two as the other conductor, by just twisting the ends together to make one larger conductor from each pair.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am seeing Canare 4S11 star quad wire at markertek. Is anyone familar with it and have opinions on its sound quality? It looks to be 14 AWG and not OFC.

I would like 12 AWG with OFC at *around* a $1 a foot (give or take). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Twisted pairs and star quad style cables supposedly cut down on electromagnetic interference. I kind of thought you were interested in something like that since you asked about shielded cables.

Sorry, now that I think of it, I don't think canare has an inwall cl2 or cl3 but I could be wrong. I think Liberty has it, though. Surely others.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
There's no need to shield speaker wiring, unless you're running it parallel to line level wiring and want an extra measure of noise shielding for that. As for the wire to use, any good quality 12AWG or 2 pair/14AWG will work fine. Obviously, twist the pairs together in the 14/2 wire to get a 12 AWG equivalent...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I do not have a real need to shield, my thought was the more integrity taken to insure a good signal would equate into a higher quality signal at the speaker. I understand your point now that those steps do not make a sonic difference one way or the other.

Sheesh, I'm just looking for the best sounding cable that is code, can be pulled, and you know, the money thing. ;) Just knowing that once this run is in, it stays, makes me look for the holy grail of cable. Because you guys have all been down this road is why you help! This is the second home I'll be doing my remote component setup with long speaker cable runs. The first time around we had no kids and now I've got a 9 and 11 yr. old asking when I'm going to put up or shut up!! Out of sight, out of mind and trying to make the choices that I want to be happy I made after I make them all over again. :rolleyes:

bedo

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys!

I posted a related question over at cableasylum as well and Jon Risch has provided a bevy of information! Check it out under "Canare 4S11 speaker cable sound quality" .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.