AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the title says it all: I'm in the market for a 1080p projector and screen for $700. the plan was to get the Silver Ticket 100" screen suggested by wirecutters.com for $200. That leaves me with $500 for a projector. The projector will be hooked up to gaming htpc for movies/gaming and the 3 current gen consoles.

I've done some research and it seems like most suggest $600+ projectors such as the popular 8345. is it doable for 500 or do I need to switch out the screen. I'm open to any screen suggestions, but I don't have the option of painting as I am a renter. The only thing I am unmovable on is the resolution.

Potential details needed: will be set up in a finished basement from behind the couch so I don't need short throw.

Thanks for any help!

P.s: its a pretty firm budget bc I need to update my outdated receiver this summer and I'm married(need I say more)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get the BenQ w1070 and project on a wall if you absolutely can't get the screen yet. Don't settle for an inferior projector just because of an arbitrary budget limit. You are very close to having something that could be great.
Are there any screens that are worth say $100? I am by no means a videophile so I may not even be able to tell the difference between a cheaper screen and the silverscreen I mentioned previously

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Are there any screens that are worth say $100? I am by no means a videophile so I may not even be able to tell the difference between a cheaper screen and the silverscreen I mentioned previously
If you wanted a manual pull down 100 inch screen, I would recommend Focupix. $100 free shipping. For a fixed one, you'll have to get lucky unless you make one yourself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you've been to Visual Apex you may have seen the refurb Epson 8345s for $549. This would seem to be very close to your price point and you'd be getting a projector from a reputable company.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Can you use a saw, screwdriver, and staplegun ? If so, buy some 1x4 wood, and metal "L" brackets and make yourself a frame that is 49"x87" and buy this screen material

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-FlexiWh...TF8&qid=1427677650&sr=8-4&keywords=flexiwhite

Then stretch it over the frame and staple along the outside edge. You are done for under $75. Make a second, larger frame and wrap it with black velvet when you have another $25 to spend. The end result will give every bit as good an image as the SilverTicket.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
At some level, these 'bottom of the barrel' requests start to get silly.

If you can't afford a decent 1080p projector and a decent screen, then either increase your budget, look for sales, or don't buy something.

The screen is certainly an area where you can find some alternatives. You can get a junk roll up screen for $100, but why waste money on a screen which may not look good from the start due to waves, and certainly won't look good in a year or two? Just make your own screen or just use your wall until you can afford a decent entry level screen.

Then get one of the many fine sub $700 options for 1080p front projection, most notably the venerable W1070 from BenQ which looks very good and will have no problem filling a screen from 92" to over 130" in your setup, when you are ready for that decent screen.

Prices are what prices are. You can get less if you want. You can get a decent non-3D, and well dated model, or you can get a model which has been leading the competition for a few years and will keep you happy for a number of years to come. I think one thing that really stands out is that Epson has had some real lamp issues over the years, while the W1070 has been delivering up to and beyond the 4,000 rated lifespan of their lamps, which can save a fair bit of money over the life of the projector.

I like Epson, but on a complete budget review, I would get a model with proven reliability.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
At some level, these 'bottom of the barrel' requests start to get silly.

If you can't afford a decent 1080p projector and a decent screen, then either increase your budget, look for sales, or don't buy something.

The screen is certainly an area where you can find some alternatives. You can get a junk roll up screen for $100, but why waste money on a screen which may not look good from the start due to waves, and certainly won't look good in a year or two? Just make your own screen or just use your wall until you can afford a decent entry level screen.

Then get one of the many fine sub $700 options for 1080p front projection, most notably the venerable W1070 from BenQ which looks very good and will have no problem filling a screen from 92" to over 130" in your setup, when you are ready for that decent screen.

Prices are what prices are. You can get less if you want. You can get a decent non-3D, and well dated model, or you can get a model which has been leading the competition for a few years and will keep you happy for a number of years to come. I think one thing that really stands out is that Epson has had some real lamp issues over the years, while the W1070 has been delivering up to and beyond the 4,000 rated lifespan of their lamps, which can save a fair bit of money over the life of the projector.

I like Epson, but on a complete budget review, I would get a model with proven reliability.
But the Focupix, in particular, isn't a junk roll up screen.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
But the Focupix, in particular, isn't a junk roll up screen.
Focupix, Silver Ticket, and the Elite SableFrame are all decent entry level models, when paired with a decent entry level 1080p model will typically put things over budget.

Which means, the budget needs to increase, or expectations altered. Not by a whole lot really, but by a bit. Considering the quality which can be had within about $100 to $200 more, then just reevaluating the budget makes sense.

Realistically, I'm not even sure the 100" screen size, which goes along with a $200 screen is the right size, and audio/switching still hasn't been addressed here.

I typically view about $1,200 or so to be a starting level budget with a 1080p projector, surround receiver with 5.1 surround sound, ceiling mount, screen (120" or so), and all the necessary cabling. That's looking at very entry level product, bought from the store for everything.

$650 - Projector (W1070)
$250 - Screen (Silver Ticket)
$250 - Refurb. Entry Level Surround Sound System (Accessories4Less)
$25 - Cheap projector mount (Amazon)
$25 - HDMI cables as needed (Amazon)
Total: $1,200

Searching for sales, eBay, etc. you may get some stuff for less. Maybe a used W1070 out there. Always can build a screen myself if my budget is really tight and fixed. There are some ways to save money, but those prices pretty much are, what they are.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
BenQ W1070 can be purchased new for ~$650. Buy it, project it on a light-colored wall and watch a few movies with your wife. Tell her it will be even more spectacular once you've saved up a few more bucks for a screen. She may tell you to go ahead and break open the piggy bank. :) Projecting at different sizes on a wall will also tell you what size screen you really want.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Just get what you can afford. Both the Benq W1070 and Epson HC2000 are great entry level projectors. Add a 120 inch Visual Apex Screen and you are right at your budget.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Just get what you can afford.
I'm not going to argue this, because on a budget, that's a life long rule. But, I would say that if he has a quality standard and usage he is shooting for, then educating himself on the options is certainly of some importance here. It's easy to spend less, then get poor quality overall, and be very disappointed, and out of money.

Both the Benq W1070 and Epson HC2000 are great entry level projectors.
Yes they are, but they are also significantly different models. So, since the Epson 2000 is not a strong gaming projector, and the OP indicated that this will be hooked up to three different gaming consoles plus a HTPC, it seems that gaming is a critical feature, and an area where the W1070 outperforms the 2000 significantly. So, while the 2000 has a solid entry level image, it doesn't stack up to the W1070 for gaming, which I imagine would leave most gamers kinda bummed if they weren't aware of this issue.

On the other hand, there are many good things about the 2000, especially the $100 replacement lamps.

Add a 120 inch Visual Apex Screen and you are right at your budget.
Once again, without pointing out that cheap roll-up screens end up getting waves in the material over time, and this time can be from right out of the box, to just a year or two down the road, which creates obvious image quality problems, I find it poor to just tell someone to get a screen.

Fixed frame screens look the best AND last the longest. You can expect 10+ years of the same quality from most fixed frame screens. That will outlast most projectors.
A non-tensioned screen including electric or manual will last the shortest period of time. Often coming out of the box with waves in the material, other times taking a few months to a few years to develop waves. I have never seen a non-tensioned screen that did not develop waves.

DIY screens are a great option as well. You can make them for $100 or so and get results which can match the cheap fixed frame screens out there.

Tab-tensioned electric screens are not as good as fixed framed screens, but far superior to non-tensioned screens. You pay a premium for them, and those are well outside of the current budget.

Now the OP knows what the differences are, and he is free to go ahead and 'get what he can afford' with a bit more knowledge of why he might want certain products.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Forget the screen. Get the BenQ W1070 projector. It has an outstanding image right out of the box. Then go to your nearest fabric store such as Joanne fabrics and buy enough blackout cloth to cover a wall and pick up some thumb tacks to hold it in place. You can patch the holes from the thumbtacks with toothpaste when you move. Done!

Reactions: BDUB619

·
Registered
814 Posts
BenQ 1070 for $650. Or if you are susceptible to RBE then go with the Epson 2000 LCD projector for $599.(I had the Epson and loved it!)

Then get a Carls DIY screen material (Amazon, $60) and hang your own screen. Tack it to the wall, then frame it nicely. You'll have a sweet little set up for less than $800. GL

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm not going to argue this, because on a budget, that's a life long rule. But, I would say that if he has a quality standard and usage he is shooting for, then educating himself on the options is certainly of some importance here. It's easy to spend less, then get poor quality overall, and be very disappointed, and out of money.

Yes they are, but they are also significantly different models. So, since the Epson 2000 is not a strong gaming projector, and the OP indicated that this will be hooked up to three different gaming consoles plus a HTPC, it seems that gaming is a critical feature, and an area where the W1070 outperforms the 2000 significantly. So, while the 2000 has a solid entry level image, it doesn't stack up to the W1070 for gaming, which I imagine would leave most gamers kinda bummed if they weren't aware of this issue.

On the other hand, there are many good things about the 2000, especially the $100 replacement lamps.

Once again, without pointing out that cheap roll-up screens end up getting waves in the material over time, and this time can be from right out of the box, to just a year or two down the road, which creates obvious image quality problems, I find it poor to just tell someone to get a screen.

Fixed frame screens look the best AND last the longest. You can expect 10+ years of the same quality from most fixed frame screens. That will outlast most projectors.
A non-tensioned screen including electric or manual will last the shortest period of time. Often coming out of the box with waves in the material, other times taking a few months to a few years to develop waves. I have never seen a non-tensioned screen that did not develop waves.

DIY screens are a great option as well. You can make them for $100 or so and get results which can match the cheap fixed frame screens out there.

Tab-tensioned electric screens are not as good as fixed framed screens, but far superior to non-tensioned screens. You pay a premium for them, and those are well outside of the current budget.

Now the OP knows what the differences are, and he is free to go ahead and 'get what he can afford' with a bit more knowledge of why he might want certain products.[/QUOTE)

I was talking about the indoor/outdoor screen. I have a buddy who has the 144 inch screen and for the price it is an outstanding value.

Also, I don't think having a $700 budget is a bad thing and that you can have a great home media room at that price, but we will never agree on what people should spend or buy. You do it for a living and I don't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I will step up and buy a better projector. It seems like everyone is recommending the W1070 which I'm now willing to spend and figure out the screen later. I did find a refurbished Epson 8345 for $550(thanks steve f for the recomendation). Is that a worthy projector as well? It seems to be popular on this forum. From what I read, w1070 will have slightly better picture(at the cost of potential RBE) and the 8345 is easier to setup and configure properly due to its horizontal and vertical view changes plus its LCD so there is no chance of RBE.

I'm willing to spend the extra money if it's worth it, but with the 8345 I can get a better screen now rather than later.

P.S. I do have a good reciever: Denon AVR 589. It's just starting to get dated with no HDMI audio and only 5.1. That's why I wanted to upgrade, but I may just buy a HDMI switch with Toslink out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I will step up and buy a better projector. It seems like everyone is recommending the W1070 which I'm now willing to spend and figure out the screen later. I did find a refurbished Epson 8345 for $550(thanks steve f for the recomendation). Is that a worthy projector as well? It seems to be popular on this forum. From what I read, w1070 will have slightly better picture(at the cost of potential RBE) and the 8345 is easier to setup and configure properly due to its horizontal and vertical view changes plus its LCD so there is no chance of RBE.

I'm willing to spend the extra money if it's worth it, but with the 8345 I can get a better screen now rather than later.

P.S. I do have a good reciever: Denon AVR 589. It's just starting to get dated with no HDMI audio and only 5.1. That's why I wanted to upgrade, but I may just buy a HDMI switch with Toslink out.
I don't think you could go wrong w/ the 1070 or 8345. If you buy the 1070, buy a refurb off amazon. Same warranty as new and it'd help your budget some. So... that makes it $549 for the 8345 and $599 for the 1070. What are you using the projector for? TV? Movies? Games? What % for each? If you're interested in 3D at all... That's only offered in the 1070, as the 8345 doesn't have 3D. How bright is the room that you're going to be watching in? Completely black, a little bit of light, bright? Do you know where you're mounting/putting the projector? Projector Central will assist w/ the throw distance for the screen size you want (Links are above in the first sentence). Epson has much better placement ability w/ vertical and horizontal lens shift.

Personally, I'd hold off on updating the receiver.. Only 5.1? 5.1 is great. I vote for buying the HDMI switch w/ Toslink out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.