AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi as title says, I have $7000 budget to build my HT.

This $7000 should cover Receiver, Speakers and Subs, TV.

I was looking into Dali speakers but I have not heard much about them so I am looking for alternatives. have anyone heard of Dali(Denmark), Moon (Canada), Primare(Sweden), Marantz and Master Sound(Italy)?

After looking into AVS forum it seems I have heard more about Triad, Aerial, ACI, Martin Logan, Focal, DefTech.

I understand that Bose is not that great compared to these but for audiophiles would you consider Bose low-end?

My family and I will be using our speakers mostly for: Movies, Jazz, Gaming

Which is a better option for me at this price range? ML or Focal?

My room layout: 4 X 5.5M with 5.5M sides both with glass doors

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandastew /forum/post/20851371

I was looking into Dali speakers but I have not heard much about them so I am looking for alternatives. have anyone heard of Dali(Denmark), Moon (Canada), Primare(Sweden), Marantz and Master Sound(Italy)?

After looking into AVS forum it seems I have heard more about Triad, Aerial, ACI, Martin Logan, Focal, DefTech.

I understand that Bose is not that great compared to these but for audiophiles would you consider Bose low-end?

Don't let anyone here pick your speakers (just don't buy Bose). Go out and listen and see what you prefer. Have the wife come along to see what you hear together and compare.

Spend the most amount of your money on the speakers not the receiver. Buy your sub online as you will get a better product for your dollar.

IWhat size TV are you looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the TV size I am looking for is probably in 50s with it probably be 55

The thing about going out to listen is that I am currently building my HT back home in Surabaya, Indonesia where the selections aren't as great as what would be available online back in US. My actual budget is a little more than $7000 but with premium pricing here $7000 provide a safe bumper to get within my budget. A little research of what is available here are: Dali, Martin Logan, Focal, Moon (Canada), Primare, Marantz, Master Sound.

example of premium pricing: 1,849+10% tax U.S. dollars for $1600 Marantz SR7005 (on Amazon)

Room:

4meter X 5.5meter X 2.8 meter high

longer side of my rectangular room is going to be full glass door on both side

flooring will be wood (although not sure what timber provide best AT)

50% movies and TV

30-40% Gaming

10-20% music (Jazz and Lounge)

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandastew /forum/post/20851371

Dali is a good speaker brand but if you like Danish speakers, you should seriously consider Dynaudio, not only it is more famous than the Dali but Dynaudio is also one of the best speaker companies in the world, producing many speakers that became legends which outperform competing speakers twice their price. For your budget you may check out the Excite and the new Focus line- they are balanced, detailed, neutral and natural sounding, giving you a good soundstage and imaging for movies, music and gaming without any weakness at their prices.

DefTech Mythos ST/STS speakers are good mainly for movie watching and gaming only and they are not well suited for music listening, as they are lacking some details and lean toward the bright side - not good for jazz. The horizontal dispersion for the Mythos 9 or 10 center speakers are rather narrow and irregular too, not great for multiple audiences and your family.

Never buy Bose! They do not produce audiophile grade speakers. As regard Focal, unless you can triple your budget and are buying their top of the line speakers, they are not particular attractive for their asking prices and there are lots of other alternatives.

For the amp, Moon is considered the best match for Dynaudio and brings out the best from the Dynes. Primare is only mediocre for your budget. Marantz and Moon should be in your top list for considering and audition.

Haven't heard Master Sound. Which country are you from? I am asking because your candidates are not that common for the American

And I also suggest you bring 10-20 different CDs for audition, and the CDs should consist of different music genres with different instruments like violin, piano, etc, as they will reveal lots of faults in many speakers which usually only excel at vocals, unlike the Dynaudio speakers which are good for all genres of music. While you only like Jazz now, your music taste will likely broaden over time after you get a good speaker pair - that's the path of all audiophiles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Tigerstripe I mentioned Dali because a local dealer around my area (Surabaya, Indonesia) carries them. I first went into avsforum because I have never heard Dali before (really never heard anything other than mass produced brands such as Bose although I knew that Bose is not good speakers for the money and the premium paid for Bose goes to their marketing).

After searching Dynaudio I found a dealer at Jakarta, Indonesia's capital city and pretty much all other Hi-Fi brand are located in that city. Therefore what I am really looking for is international brand that is obtainable in my country Indonesia that MSRP priced totaling up to ~$3000-$4000. I will look into Dynaudio but what about Martin Logan and B&W? should I consider them aswell? I can't look into Magnepan or ACI or any other US only internet brands no matter how good they are simply because I have no way of testing them out here in Indonesia.

Since I am quite new to hi-fi speakers, should I still consider Marantz line? SR 6005 or SR 7005? What about Pioneer Elite SC-35/37 or Onkyo 809?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have Dali speakers and love them. My first pair were the Ikon 7's line. There sounded good and lead me to buy the Helicon line. Audiogon has Dali's listed for one heck of a deal. They are very good sounding, but you will need a sub.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandastew /forum/post/20852013

Thank you Tigerstripe I mentioned Dali because a local dealer around my area (Surabaya, Indonesia) carries them. I first went into avsforum because I have never heard Dali before (really never heard anything other than mass produced brands such as Bose although I knew that Bose is not good speakers for the money and the premium paid for Bose goes to their marketing).

After searching Dynaudio I found a dealer at Jakarta, Indonesia's capital city and pretty much all other Hi-Fi brand are located in that city. Therefore what I am really looking for is international brand that is obtainable in my country Indonesia that MSRP priced totaling up to ~$3000-$4000. I will look into Dynaudio but what about Martin Logan and B&W? should I consider them aswell? I can't look into Magnepan or ACI or any other US only internet brands no matter how good they are simply because I have no way of testing them out here in Indonesia.

Since I am quite new to hi-fi speakers, should I still consider Marantz line? SR 6005 or SR 7005? What about Pioneer Elite SC-35/37 or Onkyo 809?

I would certainly consider Martin Logan and B&W as you should keep your options open.

I like the room correction in Onkyo and Marantz but there are others prefer MCACC from Pioneer. Look at both threads here on AVS and see what you learn and what would be best for you as neither are perfect.

In an attempt of full disclosure (as many who opine won't), tigerstripe owns Dynaudio so HIS preferences and recommendations will be biased. Not saying he is wrong or right but to discredit other companies because of personal preference should be avoided.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandastew /forum/post/20852013

Marantz/Pioneer/Onkyo all have their fans and for HT setup they are all great brands. Onkyo leans on the bright side, while Pioneer and Marantz are more neutral so it depends on your preference. Their room correction tools are different as well .

I heard Martin Logan is good but I didn't have too much experience on them to further comment. For B&W if you ask my opinion, I would say a big "NO" - I have auditioned many models in the best showrooms powered by different beefy amplifiers - all have their major faults and are laid back and lack of details in general. For the diamond series, the highs and mids are inconsistently sounding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/20852846

In an attempt of full disclosure (as many who opine won't), tigerstripe owns Dynaudio so HIS preferences and recommendations will be biased. Not saying he is wrong or right but to discredit other companies because of personal preference should be avoided.

Firstly most people know I own Dynaudio as I always mention it in many different posts. And certainly I and my wife prefer Dynaudio after spending over a year auditioning tons of different speakers in depth, but just because we own Dynaudio doesn't mean our opinions are biased - those are our own findings and you may disagree with my findings, but because I found my findings very similar to several professional reviews and the opinions of some members here and I won't change my opinions just because owners of other brands discredit my opinions. You are welcome to express your preference on B&W speakers to the OP - I may disagree but I won't discredit them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What's the best place (online) to buy Dynaudio's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe /forum/post/20852962

Marantz/Pioneer/Onkyo all have their fans and for HT setup they are all great brands. Onkyo leans on the bright side, while Pioneer and Marantz are more neutral so it depends on your preference. Their room correction tools are different as well .

I heard Martin Logan is good but I didn't have too much experience on them to further comment. For B&W if you ask my opinion, I would say a big "NO" - I have auditioned many models in the best showrooms powered by different beefy amplifiers - all have their major faults and are laid back and lack of details in general. For the diamond series, the highs and mids are inconsistently sounding as well.

Firstly most people know I own Dynaudio as I always mention it in many different posts. And certainly I and my wife prefer Dynaudio after spending over a year auditioning tons of different speakers in depth, but just because we own Dynaudio doesn't mean our opinions are biased - those are our own findings and you may disagree with my findings, but because I found my findings very similar to several professional reviews and the opinions of some members here and I won't change my opinions just because owners of other brands discredit my opinions. You are welcome to express your preference on B&W speakers to the OP - I may disagree but I won't discredit them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am not very experienced in HT. However I just auditioned multiple speakers last week including dynaudio, dali, magnepan, martin logan, def tech, klipsch, and paradigm. The Dynaudio's were my favorite (nearly equal to the martin logan e-stats I listened to, and they were the $7,500 ones) by far. I was set on buying some paradigms going into the day, and my paradigm listening might have been somewhat bias since I heard them in a different treated store on a receiver (denon 3311) and everything else was heard on NAD amps. Of course NADs would power any speaker alot better. I would highly recommend listening to anything that you buy (like everyone is saying) because there are such subtle differences in each speaker. For example, I loved the dynaudio focus 220IIs and disliked their identical monitors.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80
What's the best place (online) to buy Dynaudio's?
Which country do you live in? If you are in the States, you may contact forum member dynlunatic (Mick) and he will refer you to a list of good resellers. If you are in Asia, Hong Kong is the best place for shopping Dynaudio.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe

I'll never tell someone "don't buy these speakers, they are forward etc etc". He asked if he should listen to ML or BW and my response was an obvious yes as the more he listens the more he will get a feel for the sound he prefers.

When you preface or predict what a person will hear with a given set a speakers you are basically planting seeds which that person won't be able to take their minds off of when auditioning which is basically what you have done. I did nothing of the sort nor did I recommend any speaker specifically.

·
Registered
231 Posts
not an expert here, just an enthusiast who's owned a few different things and put together a dedicated theater space at one point. if it were ME in your shoes, here's how i would proceed...

1) decide which TV you want. deduct this from your budget.

2) price and add curtains to cover the glass doors, and carpeting/area rugs for the wood floor (or better yet, just put carpeting in to begin with). from what i've read round these parts, the surfaces you decribe (TWO glass doors OPPOSITE each other, WITH a wood floor in between) are prolly not the best things for sound - WAY too reflective. deduct price of this from sound budget.

this leaves you with your ultimate sound budget.

NOW, rather that suggest this or that brand, look at the prices of the items in relation to one another (ratios of how money should be spent) to achieve the most balanced and highest performing system overall. an example - if you have $5K to spend and you put $3K of it into your AVR, i would think that would NOT be a good choice w/respect to maximizing performance.

the ratios i've seen posted around here are somthing to the effect of:

50% towards the speakers (or maybe a bit more if your running a 7.1)

25-30% towards subwoofer

20-25% towards receiver

once you have a budget towards each item, THEN start thinking about brands/models.

my personal experince may serve as an example. at one point, i had a ~$400 Onkyo AVR driving PSB Image B6's (retail 500, i paid ~300) and it sounded fine. i got a few bucks in my pocket and decided to upgrade. i bought some Paradigm Studio 40's on closeout (over 1500/pr retail) and a Denon AVR-2310 (900 retail, i got it for a bit over 6). the speakers arrived first. while not fully exploiting their ultimate capabilities, the onkyo sounded friggin' GREAT with them. there was a definite, dramatic improvement in my system's sound.

OTOH, when i got the Denon, yes it had more power and more features (which i wanted), but it didn't sound a WHOLE lot "better". definitely "more", but not a whole lot "better".

the moral? assuming everything else does what you need it to do, speakers are the most important part of your SOUND system. spend accordingly.

just my uneducated two cents.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism
I'll never tell someone "don't buy these speakers, they are forward etc etc". He asked if he should listen to ML or BW and my response was an obvious yes as the more he listens the more he will get a feel for the sound he prefers.

When you preface or predict what a person will hear with a given set a speakers you are basically planting seeds which that person won't be able to take their minds off of when auditioning which is basically what you have done. I did nothing of the sort nor did I recommend any speaker specifically.
They can't take their minds off? I guess you overestimated my opinions - if a pair of speakers in fact sound warm to most people but instead I "preface" and "predict" that they are bright here, only deaf people will take my advices and all the other will think I am saying rubbish.

Remember speakers are not some sort of mythology, it's just about our sense. If I tell you a house is haunted, you may indeed cannot take your mind off. But if I tell you an apple is spicy, once you eat an apple you know my opinions have no credibility. Doing a simple google search can prove that many people do find B&W speakers are warm and even laid back in general, and Dynaudio neutral and natural. I am just pointing out the facts and my findings so that a newbie can take reference from when they are auditioning, and I just make recommendations according to their requirements.

I don't think you should spend further time on me debating this topic since there are lots of reviews and magazines out there that are heavily biased and they are far more influential than you and I here. For example a famous British magazine always give B&W speakers 5 star ratings as B&W heavily advertises in this magazine in both online and print versions, and when you use keyword search on B&W in this review magazine site, it even goes further to turn to a special B&W product promoting section, while the same will not happen on any other brand. If you have time I guess you better refute this site ...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am very happy with my home theater products. I would call my setup a mid-range offering.

Sharp Aquos 52" LCD

Onkyo TX-NR 5007

Aperion Intimus 6T's

Aperion Intimus 6C

Aperion Intimus 4BP's

SVS PC-13 Ultra

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.