·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is all I can find...

Why should I get the 705 over the 805?

-More affordable

-Much small compact body size and weight:

705 = Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 6 7/8" x 14 13/16" | Weight 28.4 lbs. (12.9 kg)

805 = Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 7 5/8" x 18 1/16" | Weight 50.9 lbs. (23.1 kg)

-More power efficient (6.2 amps vs 9.5 amps) Normal household circuit breaker is 20 amps. Combined with TV, sub, players, game consoles, lights, etc. Its not a major deterrent as you can relocate devices around the room onto other circuit breaker outlets but its important to stay aware of the power loud. 9.5 amp is also at max volume only.. expect that to be around 80% of that number at normal volume levels.

-Cooler running and doesn't pose a fire risk. (Search official 805 thread for evidence of this; several users have said their 805's burnt out and caught fire after a few weeks of use. Its not common but the risk exists. These users also had plenty of space around their receiver so it wasn't that those users didn't allow for breathing room. For me, risk of fire was the number one deterrent.)

-The video section of the 805 is basically the same as the 705. You need to step up to the 875/905 to get improvements in video.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also found this...

the main difference between the 705 and 805 is the 805 has extra THX certified equipment unlike the 705 which is why it supposedly weighs so much.

What "extra THX certified equipment" are we talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
If you ever get into SACD DSD via HDMI (oh the bliss) know that the 805 is the lowest end Onker capable of doing direct one step conversion to analog. It also does pure direct.

An Oppo 980 will set you back another $160, a subscription for one week to www.yourmusic.com will get you 28 SACDs for roughly $7 a piece, a nice way to start a lossless and scratchless music collection.

Advice, make sure you buy where you live and test extensively once you get it. Some return 3-4 before getting the right one, dealers know it too and don't fuss much about it. But then cryogenic processor cooling should not be hard to adapt, newegg may have a sale going on

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
$60?

It's like: "Would you like the Ferrari 430, or the Enzo?"

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are missing the point of this thread.

I am asking if the 705 is actually better than the 805. Based on those first 2 comments I posted it seems that people think so.

Really the only difference I can find is that the 805 has more power and a different THX Cert.

This receiver will only be used for HDTV (Sports) and Movies. I don't listen to music on it ever.

It is not about the money....it is about getting the BEST ONE. Heat issues and power efficiency are important in HT.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/12933138

You are missing the point of this thread.

I am asking if the 705 is actually better than the 805. Based on those first 2 comments I posted it seems that people think so.

Really the only difference I can find is that the 805 has more power and a different THX Cert.

This receiver will only be used for HDTV (Sports) and Movies. I don't listen to music on it ever.

It is not about the money....it is about getting the BEST ONE. Heat issues and power efficiency are important in HT.

The 805 will sound better than the 705. It has more power and headroom and has more features. I'm not sure what you're asking here. The 805 is clearly superior to the 705 in every way.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has more features....can you help me out by telling me some.

What about the heat problems it has, but the 705 doesn't.

What about the 6.2 amps vs 9.5 amps current...9.5amps is ALOT for a receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
705 gets hot too....put a fan on top, run it till she cooks and buy a new one with hdmi 1.9

I have an Onkyo tx 6000 from 1981...still sounds amazing but that is simple technology. There are no problem free receivers. read the review in recent Home Theater Mag. on 805...they love it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/12935176

It has more features....can you help me out by telling me some.

What about the heat problems it has, but the 705 doesn't.

What about the 6.2 amps vs 9.5 amps current...9.5amps is ALOT for a receiver.

705 and 805 are within a few degrees of each other. both get WAYYY hot.

Power consumption is maximum. With higher rated watts per channel it is physically impossible for the current drwa to not be higher. It is relative to how much power you use. You will not be drwaing 9.5 amps ever I am thinking.

805 has better DACs, and more power, which means that even at lower volume you'll drive your speakers with less distortion. Also, 805 is a true push pull design (dual amps 180 degrees out of phase). The overall frequency response of such amps is considerably better. There will be an openess to the sound that you just can't get from the 605 or 705 (although they are good amps too).

The 805 is the better of the two...even if you never plan on turning it up more than halfway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think the OP was off base with this post. The 705 FAQ (in the 705 owners thread) says there are reports of the 805 starting fires! Dunno if thats true but its not the kind of info you just toss aside.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Features aside because it seems both have what the op is looking for. If you want better amps and better dacs which = better sound at all volume levels then it's worth $60 more. For me it's a no brainer the 805, but that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

As far as the heat issues, I've seen just as many or more post that say they have no problems. Both will need good airflow around them they both get hot, given proper airflow you should have no issues with either.

I've had budget Onkyo HTIB receivers-they get hot. I've had the Pioneer 516, 816, 1016-they got hot, Onkyo 604-it got hot, Yamaha 461, 659-they got hot, Panasonic XR-55-it didn't. I've had no issues relating to heat with any of them.

Analog receivers get hot, that's a fact, some hotter than others, given proper airflow and use the way they were intended you shouldn't have any issues and if you do, you'll know it during the return period, get another one.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Aside from THX Select 2 vs. Ultra 2 the 705 and 805 are completely different designs. The 805 is built on a seperate amp and preamp block for better noise seperation, has Burr Brown Dacs and a larger power supply. It's really hard to beat the 805 under $1000.00.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But what about the LIP SYNC..

A new HT with a HC4900 would be worthless with a horrible lip sync problem that everyone can see!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the 705 because of the weight difference (on my glass shelves) and price difference (the 705 was good enough for me) and the amperage difference (figuring the 805 will always be about 3 amps higher than the 705 regardless of volume, which is about 350 watts higher, or the equivalent of about 5-6 lightbulbs). Both players are excellent choices, and the 805 is arguably the superior choice (that extra weight and heat and wattage is caused by it doing what it does best--driving your speakers). That said, the 705 isn't a slacker by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger445 /forum/post/12943733

I bought the 705 because of the weight difference (on my glass shelves) and price difference (the 705 was good enough for me) and the amperage difference (figuring the 805 will always be about 3 amps higher than the 705 regardless of volume, which is about 350 watts higher, or the equivalent of about 5-6 lightbulbs). Both players are excellent choices, and the 805 is arguably the superior choice (that extra weight and heat and wattage is caused by it doing what it does best--driving your speakers). That said, the 705 isn't a slacker by any stretch of the imagination.

According to one of the most recent posts in the 805 owners thread, a user clocked the power usage and it maxed out around 150 watts. Even if that's a low ball, it's nowhere near where you are talking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 /forum/post/12936325

Also, 805 is a true push pull design (dual amps 180 degrees out of phase). The overall frequency response of such amps is considerably better. There will be an openess to the sound that you just can't get from the 605 or 705 (although they are good amps too).

All current solid-state amplifiers are true push-pull designs, usually with complementary (NPN and PNP) output device pairs (quasi-complementary output stages are usually considered obsolete.) Onkyo markets the 805 as "dual push-pull", which is a fancy way of saying they used two output device pairs per channel rather than one. This allows the output stage to pass more current while not pushing each transistor pair as hard, keeping the transistors well within their safe operating area. It is a more robust output stage than is usually seen in a receiver, Audioholics has a good review of the unit with good photos of the insides of the machine.

As for the frequency response of one being better than the other, they're all flat from below 20Hz to 20K, and usually out farther than that (Onkyo's output stages on even their 505 are rated at 5Hz-100KHz +1/-3dB. The 605, 705, 805, and up carry the same FR spec.) The 805 is better at driving low-impedance loads than the 705, but at matched levels with no clipping allowed the power amp sections by themselves would not be distinguishable in a double-blind test. The 805 will play cleanly at higher volumes than the 705 due to its greater power-delivery abilities.

The 805 is pretty much a great choice for only $60 more, though.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The Perfect Vision Magazine named the 705 its 2007 receiver of the year -- if this sort of things matter to you. I think the silver 805 looks more high end. Me, I am waiting for the 805 to drop to $600 and the 705 to $500 before I buy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts