AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a concrete answer in the forums and the video manual only states what the signal is but not what to expect.

When I run the patter on Section G, the bar stutters along, whereas the bar from Section H moves rather fluidly.

Is this how it is supposed to look or should they move smoothly in both cases?

I'm basically trying to determine which combination of BR player and TV are best for handling film motion, since the player can provide 24p and the TV can handle it but has options on how to do so, as well.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
H will move faster than G, because of the higher frame rate. The general look of H may be affected by how the electronics deinterlace, and the look of G may be affected by judder. By judder I mean that the bar on G would not advance at a constant number of pixels per frame if displayed at 60 frames per second. Any electronics that try to make up frames might also affect the look of either pattern. Personally I find judder far more difficult to notice than electronics that try to make up frames. Generally I would say that, unless you're sensitive to judder, there's probably a better chance of noticing differences in video processing by watching video clips. Electronics that try to make up frames will tend to have issues with fast-motion scenes. For example the processing on my TV to create false frames was a mess with some of the fast sequences from the first Bourne Identity movie. Some of the Cnet TV reviews list scenes that they use for evaluation, such as the heli flyover looking down at the Intrepid aircraft carrier from I Am Legend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer. I'm still not 100% sure what to look for. I do find images hard to discern when moving fast through the screen, but my problem is that I don't have another point of comparison, so I can't tell if it's normal or not. My TV does not have smoothing.

The amount of stutter on the 24p signal seems consistent as it moves across. It just doesn't move smoothly like the H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.