AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm a little confused on the recent forum spit as to which forum to post a 711xu question. I guess with an msrp over $5k its in the "rich man's" forum, but with street price under $3k it may be in the "cheap seats".

Anyway, my question is around Panny's "Digital Cinema Reality" circuit for the 711xu (75 has it, too). This is the progressive scan/ 3:2 pull down. The question is two fold. First, how do you activate/deactivate it? I've looked through all manuals, this forum(s), the on screen menus, etc and no mention of this. I'm assuming that means it's automatic and can't be control.

That brings me to my second question, if its automatic, then what happens if I feed it a prog scan signal from a prog scan DVD player or HPTC?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Java,

Your confusion is understandable. The MSRP vs. street does indeed put it in both forums. Statements by Alan about why he split the forums indicate to me that this projector belongs in the other forum, joining the 711XU's cheaper siblings, including the infamous AE-100.

The projector automatically detects a progressive signal. When the projector's de-interlacer is being used, you will see NTSC signal on the menu. When fed a progressive signal, you will see 480P. (I do not recall what the display says when hooked up to an HTPC, but rest assured if fed a progressive signal, the projector will detect this.

The other function that goes along with this is the projector's scaler, which you can toggle on and off for a component input. For VGA input (HTPC) the scaler automatically is bypassed: It show 'OFF" and cannot be turned 'ON'.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryan and Zak,

Thanks much for input.

On a related note, have you seen a marked improvement in pq when you get external (HTPC, Prog Scan DVD) vs the internal deinterlacer? The root of my question was really trying to disable the internal deinterlacer so I can see the diff when kicked in. Before I invest in a new dvd player, etc, I was curious on the level of improvement. I've read conflicting stories. Some say the interal on the 711 is fine. Other's feel the only way to go is external.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am using a Panasonic RP-56 (progressive). I was about 2 hours into viewing my new projector before noticing I hadn't enabled the RP-56 de-interlacing. So in that respect, the projector's de-interlacer is not sub-standard. After doing some blind A-B comparisons with the beginning of Toy Story 2, I preferred the RP-56's to the projector's. It seemed a little sharper, without being overly "digital" sharp. For all other aspects of the picture, the projector seemed as good as the RP-56. Was it a $200 improvement? Not sure... I would recommend borrowing a progressive scan DVD to try it out for yourself.

To answer your question directly, the Panasonic RP-56 player has a button to turn the de-interlacing on or off. The Panasonic 711XU projector automatically responded to the signal being fed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.