AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HL-P6163 Samsung DLP TV and I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC to play Blu-Ray DVDs.

I am currently using a DVI cable to connect to the TV, and since the TV is 1080i it should be able to display 1920x1080 resolution using that connection. However when I set the output on the video card (radeon 3600 HD) to that screen resolution, the edges of the screen on all 4 sides are slightly cut off. Maybe 2-3% of the screen on each side. No setting on the graphics card or the TV that I can find to shrink it down slightly.

My first question is, does anyone have experience with this TV they can share in successfully displaying 1920x1080 resolution on the screen?

My second question is, am i wasting my time worrying about this? The TV works perfectly fine in displaying the computer screen 1280x720. Will Blu-Ray disks look just as good in that resolution or will the performance somehow suffer?

I don't have the player yet, otherwise I could obviously just do an A/B test. I'm just dying to solve this problem.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your Samsung HL-Pis overscaning its iinputs over HDMI/DVI to emulate a standard CRT TV.

You need to use the lateest ATI drivers and set the undersscan comnpensation slider to a vaalue that gives you the appearance of 1:1 Pixel mapping.

However, overscanning of video or movies is not an issue since all video and movies are "filmed" assuming that the display will be overscanned so they make sure they have not meaningfull content at the edges and this overscanning will make all of the meaningfull content larger then it will be if you compensate for it.

Since your fixed pixel HL-P6163 has a native resolution of 720p it can never display a 1080p BRd with more than half of it's detail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, it worked.

Had to create a custom resolution by clicking 'Add', which wasn't really labled as underscan compensation, but it definitely worked to shrink in the sides so I can see the edges of the screen.

Got my blu-ray in today, just spent several hours upgrading to vista first though. Looking forward to seeing how it looks and sounds.

Still waiting on my Creative Digital I/O Module so I can upgrade to optical sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts