AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace the old TV in my motor home with a new HD LCD. The largest I can install is about 32". I don't see many with 1080 resolution. With a display this size, is there really much difference in viewable picture quality between a 720 and 1080 unit? I don't do gaming, just HD broadcast TV and standard definition DVD.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
For you, I would say no.

Unless of course you are sitting 4-5ft away from it, then you could tell the difference, but even then 1080p at 32in is quite a premium and probably not worth it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i would only go with 1080p if i were using it as a computer monitor

two models to look at are:

the sony 32s3000

and the samsung 3253

good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfSparta /forum/post/12977880

At what size does 1080p become noticeable ?

depends on how far you sit from your set, type in viewing distance calculator on google................

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to make this decision a short while ago.

The truth is, unless you are sitting very close (as one would with a computer monitor), the difference in resolution at 32" is negligable.

You would be better off buying a tier 1 (Sony/Sharp/Samsung) model with good contrast and color definition.

I was between the Sammy 3253 and the Sony 32S3000. I ended up with the Sony and have been very happy.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairajays /forum/post/12971455

With a display this size, is there really much difference in viewable picture quality between a 720 and 1080 unit?

If you're sitting 4-6 feet away, you will be able to resolve the extra detail of 1080p and you should consider a 1080p set (e.g., Sharp's).

If you're sitting more than 6 feet away (not advisable for a set that small), you won't be able to resolve more than 720p so there's no point in buying 1080p.

Follow the chart: http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/13080304

If you're sitting 4-6 feet away, you will be able to resolve the extra detail of 1080p and you should consider a 1080p set (e.g., Sharp's).

If you're sitting more than 6 feet away (not advisable for a set that small), you won't be able to resolve more than 720p so there's no point in buying 1080p.

Follow the chart: http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

I agree. I have both and I can tell a difference.. I'm sure a lot of the general public cannot. Only way is for your own eyes to tell you. Had a few people over and a friend said you cannot tell the difference. Well......... got the 32 xbr out of the bedroom and put it side by side w/the 52 xbr. All but one were in agreement. Both tvs were fed the same signal along w/motion control and cinema motion activated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts