AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any PQ advantages in having a native 720p TV like the Samsung DLPs or Panny LCD instead of a 1366 x 768 set like the Hitachi or GWII (considering 720p source material only)?

I would think that the conversion from 720p to 768p would be undesirable but I've never read about any issues with this.

I'm also wondering if the conversion is even necessary. Would it be possible for a manufacturer to give you the option to to display a direct 720p picture with a black border consisting of the unused pixels?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am speculating that it will scale to the 768 display, thus giving an inferior picture. Given that 720p is one of the main HD standards, I think that's your better bet, but I cannot give you any scientific foundation for my opinion to back it up.

Ross

Proud new owner of a Sammy DLP HLN467W

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Okay, it would have to be worse, but is it enough worse for you to notice it? The Sony GWIIs put out a decent picture (independent of black level, etc.) that typically appears to have less technology/implementation-induced artifacting than the Sammy DLPs, and definitely do a better job on typical SD (480i). However, this may be the rendering technique overtaking the scaling as a factor in quality.

The Toshiba LCoS does an unbelieveable job on 1080i material, as an example, since it is just line-doubling to 1080p, but its internal scaler sucks a great deal when going from 720p to 1080p. Oddly enough, it does very well with 480i or 480p.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
The Sony goes through an analog stage that the Hitachi doesn't seem to need. The Hitachi is supposed to stay digital which may be better. I like the look of the Hitachi PQ and never got excited about the Sony. I have no idea if the scaling had anything to do with that reaction.

If the Hitachi wasn't so PC unfriendly I would probably have one already.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
The Sony goes through an analog stage that the Hitachi doesn't seem to need. The Hitachi is supposed to stay digital which may be better. I like the look of the Hitachi PQ and never got excited about the Sony. I have no idea if the scaling had anything to do with that reaction.

If the Hitachi wasn't so PC unfriendly I would probably have one already.
Yeah, that's one of my beefs with the Hitachi too. Still, I keep waiting for someone to post their PC experiences with that set. Of all the LCD RPTVs I've seen the Hitachi seems to have the best PQ. I do like the Sammy's picture better though. And then I've got a friend that's really pushing me to get a nice Mitsubishi CRT RPTV, have it calibrated, and wait out the new technology wars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.