AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching on the net for nearly two months now and just received my Infocus 7200 on Friday. I spent three hours trying to get my Bravo d1 hooked up via DVI last night. I guess I received a bad unit as it would not play most of the DVD's I stuck in. Some sound at times and no picture. I would get to the menu and it would lock up. This has been noted on other posts.

I decided to go to Best Buy today to get Component cables to hook up my Denon 2900. I was not happy about this, but I thought this would get me by for a while. Low and behold they actually had the Samsung DVI player in stock. After looking for 30 ft cables and seeing how much they would cost, I decided I would try this unit out. THE PICTURE LOOKS FANTASTIC! My previous TV was a High Def Mitsubishi 46WS. I think the picture is as crisp and clear as it is. If I had known that the Samsung had DcDi by Faroudja I probably would have purchased this DVD player first.

The picture on the 7200 is crisp and accurate. The color looks great and contrast is not as bad as most people have said. Yes it does look a little Gray, but to me it doesn't bother me. It really does take on a film quality that I really didn't expect. It also has a 3 dimensional look and feel.

To me the combination worked out very well. I used the Infocus 30ft DVI cable. If anyone else is using this setup I would be interested in hearing what there settings are.

Patrick

·
Registered
936 Posts
Congrats on your 7200 (I have one too and love it). I tried the Samsung myself, but couldn't get the 1080i resolved on the 7200. All I got was snow. 720p resolved fine.

Is it better to feed the 7200 native resolution and not even worry about 1080i?

Did you get 1080i resolved on your 7200? My 7200 is one of the first production units bought a year ago.

What are your settings for brightness and contrast (what screen size also)?

I am curious because I might try this DVD player again.

Thx.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could get a picture with 1080i but I was told to use 720. It did work though. If you use the progressive button on the front it will turn off the DVI output. This is good because I have read that the 7200 doesn't like to sync to progressive. I have the dvd player set to dvi 720 and the progressive off. I have the projector set to native resolution. The person I purchased the projector from recommended that. I also have the Film 2 mode on the projector and the DVI set to mode 2.

I was upset to not be able to use the Bravo player, but the picture on the 931 looks Great. The player just wouldn't play most DVD's. That is not something I would like to mess with. I would love to purchase the new Denon 5900 because it has DVI out but MSRP is $2000 and I am way over budget.

I tried to set the projector up with DVE and had troubles with the color config. I am not familiar with red gain? red offset? I really do not know what these things mean.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Regarding the Samsung unit: Just be aware that it most likely will not play any of your DVDr's , if you have any, or plan to ever burn some. I have lots of them that I've burned from video shot through a digital camcorder and the Samsung would not recognize them. The Bravo plays them just fine.

FWIW, Rick

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Glad you got everything running and are happy with the pic, phansson!

Yes, you should not mess with 1080 output when feeding to the 7200 or any other HD2 machine. Here's why - the DVD player scales the native 480p DVD resolution up to 1080 and then outputs it to the projector. The projector then has to RE-scale it back to 720, its native resolution. At this point you've scaled the image twice - never a good idea. It's always best to match your output to the native resolution of the display device.

The other option would be to set the DVD player to output native DVD res (480) and let the projector do the scaling to 720p.

Try both and see which method provides the best picture!

JOHN

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Bob from Infocus reads this I think there are some people that would like to have information on how he thinks we should set it up. I have seen your post on recommendations for the Bravo D1 and would enjoy hearing input from him.

As far as the burned dvd's that isn't really a problem for me. I would much rather have no problems with regular DVD's than home made ones.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am pretty sure that if you are sending 720 over DVI, you are sending 720P, regardless of pressing the "Progressive" button on the Sammy. It is my understanding that the Standards for DVI don't include 720i. You can check this by selecting "About" from the main menu of the SP7200 while sending 720 from the Sammy to the SP7200. It will tell you what the SP7200 is receiving.

Don't worry about the Bravo. The DVI output from both of them is very similar and equally good, IMHO. There are some differences, but they are minor. Read Greg Rogers reviews in the last two issues of WSR if you want all the details. The things about the Sammy that I didn't like:

1. it is not compatible with the calibration screens in Avia, so I had to calibrate it by eye, which likely means that it is not exaclty right.

2. lack of separate FF/REW buttons drives me crazy; I had a phillips DVD player like that, and I never stopped making occassional mistakes with it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TCB
Congrats on your 7200 (I have one too and love it). I tried the Samsung myself, but couldn't get the 1080i resolved on the 7200. All I got was snow. 720p resolved fine.
Samsung now has a new firmware available that fixes 1080i issues with a number of displays, including the 7200 and 5700. If you want this fix, let Samsung support know that you are having trouble with 1080i and they will send you a DVD with the updated firmware.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams
Samsung now has a new firmware available that fixes 1080i issues with a number of displays, including the 7200 and 5700. If you want this fix, let Samsung support know that you are having trouble with 1080i and they will send you a DVD with the updated firmware.
Wow, a response from THE MAN himself. Thanks Bob! It looks like I'm off to get another Samsung and the firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
103 Posts
angilasaurus,

I'm quite new. My pj is infocus 7200.The DVD player output is 480p.Do u mean to say that the image projected is 720p and not 480p?

If that is so ,then there's no need for external scaler,correct? Thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickE
Regarding the Samsung unit: Just be aware that it most likely will not play any of your DVDr's
I've had no problem with Reitek DVD-R's. Those are the only ones I've tried.

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nktan
angilasaurus,

I'm quite new. My pj is infocus 7200.The DVD player output is 480p.Do u mean to say that the image projected is 720p and not 480p?

If that is so ,then there's no need for external scaler,correct? Thanks
Your SP7200 has a Faroudja scaler/deinterlacer built into it. There is no requirement for an external scaler regardless of what your source is outputing. Video on a DVD is 480i. The D1 and 931 can be set to output 480 in which case the SP7200 does the scaling to 720P, or they can be set to output 720P in which case the scalers built into the DVD players do the scaling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Glenned, My pioneer DVD player output 480p via component and it

comforting to know that i am watching at 720p via the 7200. All the while I thought I was watching at 480p and was looking for an external scaler to up the ante!!!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I tried this DVD player on the 7200 but got only snow regardless of what resolution was used. According to the Samsung Manual troubleshooting section, this is indicative of the DVI not being HDCP compliant. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I had a very early production run 7200 which also got snow with the 931. I sent it to IF (one day turnaround!) which repaired some HDCP compliance issue and it works great now.

If you are getting snow on all resolutions, the 931 software upgrade will not solve the problem. With a working 7200 the 931 outputs 480p and 720p on DVI pre-upgrade. After upgrade you also get 1080i, which is horrible compared to 720p.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Thanks Robert, this is one of the first models that we purchased for store demo. I guess we'll have to take it down and get it serviced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.