AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically we wanted to do a 5400 upgrade, but the drives are about 150 dollars for the most part. We just got the 120 7200 Maxtor from CC and if my hubby gets the 22 back from Circuit City, we will be down around 70 or so. That is quite a savings. We want to use this drive for a new drive for our Replay 2000 series unit. I know they run noisier and hotter (this sucker is already pretty hot). But if we do this and it gets too hot, then what? Just take it out and put in the original and all will be well? Or have some of you had your units become paperweights because of this? Has there been permenant damage? Have most that did the 7200 option put in an extra fan (not sure we want to try that)? I am sure many will appreciate some info on this as we get this Circuit City/Office Max Deal.

Thanks. Cari

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I still use 5400 RPM drives when ever possible, admittedly this may be overkill.

Installing one 7200 RPM drive is probably cooler than with the two drives some of the replay 2000's came with. The usual sign of overheating is the picture freezes, a reboot is needed to get it going again.

I have no doubt there are a bunch of 7200 RPM upgrades running right now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't forget that many current 7200rpm drives run much cooler, draw less power, and make less noise than older 5400rpm drives. Similarly, although unrelated here, newer 5400rpm drives are often much faster than older 7200rpm drives.

I'd say you should be fine...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I rolled the dice and moved to a WD-120 7200 this weekend. It was on the Circuit City deal and I was so sick of my 3040 skipping constantly.

RTVPatch worked like a charm. Thanks for the excellent program.

One note: I tried RTVPatch with the replay drive and the new drive connected via USB 2.0 on winxp. The hardware was successfully detected in winxp, but unfortunately, the program wouldn't work because the drives weren't detected by the bios. Oh well. Took me a little work to pull the HTPC out of the rack, but everything worked out great when all said and done.

--Les

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.