AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on the purchase of a 7200 from Infocus. Thanks for the help. I just recently installed my 106" Firehawk screen and can't wait to get the projector. I have a Denon 2900 DVD player and it doesn't have DVI out. Is this a problem as far as picture quality?

Most of the forum members seem to like the Bravo D1 player. It was not rated highly at the hometheaterhifi site. That is why I puchased the Denon.

Is the bravo d1 player what most of you are using?

Have they fixed some of the problems with firmware updates?

Is DVI that much better than component?

Do you run the DVI output to a DVDO type product and then to the projector?

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You should be fine. DVI is better but alot depends on your perception. Some think it makes a great difference while some only see subtle differences. Since you already have the player use it and see if you're satisfied.

To answer your other question, I am using a HTPC with VGA right now(I had dvi and it was sharper with text but with video I do not see a difference).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Congrats on your selection, Be sure to show off some pics.

I use both an RP82 (component), and a Bravo D1 (Dvi). I have DVI switch box as I have an HDTV cable box that uses DVI connector, the Bravo D1, and an HTPC.

I do find that the D1 provides an exceptional picture. And have had a blast testing DVD's and calibrating with Avia. Not to mention gaming with The HTPC. Try playing Half-life or Battlefield 1942 on the big Screen. Awesome!

Strange about your graphics on your HTPC Paul. Do you use ATI, and Powerstrip. I would have thought it might be the opposite text would look funky and graphics awesome. Try playing with it a bit, you shouldn't be running into any isses there;s a great guide in the HTPC area!

Cheers,

Requis

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you would recommend getting the bravo D1 DVD player?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I am taking your advice. I just ordered the Bravo DVD player. For $179.99 I think I can take a chance.

I know we are only supposed to talk MSRP. Is there anyway someone can tell me the street prices of the 7200 on my private message so I can tell if I am getting a good deal on the Infocus PJ>

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phansson
So you would recommend getting the bravo D1 DVD player?
Myself and many more!

The only issue that you will run into is The M1DA to DVI adapter that is required to be able to connect a standard DVI cable. They are available through digital connections. But I found that once I used the adapter and the cable connector I could no longer put on the Infocus Cable cover. If I were you I would bite the bullet and buy the 30 foot or 10 Meter cable M1Da to DVI male cable from Infocus even if you have two much length at least you will be able to get yopur cable cover on!!

And I think you will find that there is a huge number of people that will tell you the D1 is quarky in an abstract kind of way. You need to ginger the device and the media you play. In other words make sure your media is clean, and that when you sit down to watch a movie you don't do too much fast forward or rewind through scenes, it may freeze up. Allthough I took out the loader on the unit and put in a PC based sony loader, and I have lost the freezing issue!

There are many threads on this player in the DVD section, and like everything else here the opinions are varied. Which is how it should be if we all agreed on everything what a drag this forum would be.

In terms of Dollars, I'm in Canada and you definitely don't want to know how much we paid, note the exchange rate is at 1.50. So whatever your paying its asteal compared to the dollars we invested in pure entertainment!!

Have fun!!

Cheers

Requis

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
As an alternative, you can get a 4" pigtail DVI to M1DA adapter from:

www.lindy.com

It allows you to use your cable cover, the same as the Infocus cable. If you Use a DVI cable and an adapter, you have the DVI cable in place for your next PJ, if it requires a standard DVI cable.

Do a search on DVI Cables. You need a good one to go a long distance. Not all of them will.

The best DVD video is currently delivered by the DVI equiped DVD players. How much of an improvement you see depends on how good the video was from your old DVD player. Some see a huge improvement, others see a minimal one. Most posters have reported seeing an improvement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.