AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 7200 last week and have been excited about watching movies at home again.

I am very impressed with the clarity.

I have however noticed a grainy look on darker scenes. Especially in Band of Brothers. Is this movie just a grainy transfer? Is this a thing that DLP owners just have to live with? Is this caused by the DVD player? I am running a Samsung w/ DVI output.

The picture on scenes with decent light are incredible. I have a 106" Firehawk screen and wish I would have gone Larger!

I have also noticed that I am susceptible to rainbows. No headaches, but I do see some color on dark scenes with movement. It isn't all the time, just occasionally.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Band of Brothers, like Saving Private Ryan, was heavily processed in post to give it that grainy, documentary look.

BTW, Film 2 is designed to "go to black" faster, much like a CRT projector. Film 1 is designed to replicate a properly calibrated studio monitor, and should give you the look that was in the studio when the film was mastered to DVD.

Video Gamma has the least amount of processing, but it will tend to reveal the most MPEG noise in dark scenes.

If the graininess in dark scenes bothers you, try Film 1 or 2. I also tend to leave the brightness setting on 48, rather than 50 on grainier transfers.

As Dan the Marantz guy said, DVI gives a better picture but will also reveal more of the flaws in the actual DVD transfer. MPEG noise is one of them.

JOHN

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well glad you are enjuoying your IF 7200. I have about 1000hrs now on mine (they swapped me a new one so my bulb is new again) I am using a 110" firehawk and also wish I had gone to 122" but I guess conservative was better. All in all a great show. I have continued to have problems getting my dvi to work from my sat 520 so for now I stay with component ins switched by my pre/pro. Maybe next iteration i will get a DVI switching pre/pro and go all digital. Enjoy your setup. Next time you are at the cinema notice the quality or lack of quality of the image there. Once I did tha I ceased to be concerned about my home image and worked on just being immersed in the experience. I spent time tweaking the audio and went to 7.1. Now I just surrender to the experience. Its not "perfect" but beats the pants of the local multiplex and I serve beer in my theater. Enjoy.

Paul

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I too notice some graininess occasionally, but nothing to distracting its mostly in hbohd and show time hd, I have cable and espn hd sunday night football is absolutely stunning at almost 140" diag I think the picture looks better bigger or at least the pic does not degrade and I think the black levels have improved, of course I thought they were fine before:D

This pj has the ability to go as large as you want it to, like I said Im running 140" diag my first row is 15' from the screen and second is 20'. from 15' the picture looks great and I don't notice any screen door.

Bob

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The grain/noise is in the video. It is not caused by the PJ.

Many DVDs have alot of video noise. Often noise is confused with dithering. Pause the DVD player. If what you see is video noise, it will freeze; if it is dithering (caused by the PJ) it will continue to move. Since I learned this from a couple other AVS'rs, I have come to realise that all of what I used to think is dithering, is really video noise.

A lot of , though not all of , video noise is in shadowed areas. A darker gamma, like Film 1 or 2, darken the shadows, and hide the noise, the color and the details that reside there. I use "video" gamma. I would rather see the image that is there, even in the instances where it is noisy, rather than artificially darken it.

IMHO, the SP7200 using "video" gamma shows more shadow color/detail than the other HD2's using their default gamma tables, with the exception of the S2 (which I found to equal the SP7200 when using its "standard" gamma). This isn't to say that the SP7200 is better, only that I prefer its "video" gamma tables over the default gamma tables of most other HD2s I have seen. The additional brightness of the SP7200 might be partially responsible for lighting up that part of the image also, when compared to the other HD2s (who are all dimmer).

Neither the S2 nor SP7200 are equal to a plain old SD TV in their ability to show the color and detail in shadows. So there is still considerable room for improvement in PJs. Compare the dark alley and night web swinging scenes in Spiderman to see what I mean.

I use a 123" D firehawk, which was the largest screen I could reasonably fit in my HT. I love it. Blacks in dim scenes are pretty dark, even in my white walled family room. I have seen my SP7200 on a 133 D Firehawk, and blacks were even a little bit darker. I still had to run the SP7200 in low power mode even on that size screen.

When using DVI from the Bravo D-1, the picture is very close in terms of detail and sharpness to my cable HD over component. The biggest difference seems to be that true HD (as opposed to up-rezed SD) is largley free from the video noise that plagues many DVDs. I would expect that HD over DVI would make a noticeable improvement compared to HD over component.

When the cable guy installed my HD, he raved about the picture and said that I had the Best PQ he had seen to date. He has installed HD in a number of multi-million dollar homes with dedicated HTs. This was in the afternoon. My Ht has less than perfect light control. It has bright white walls. I had not yet calibrated the PJ for the HD cable source. This is a testament to how well a large Firehawk and the SP7200 work together.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 7200 as projected onto a 110" Stewart Firehawk. I agree with Paulgas, go to the multiplex, look at the picture and think about what your 7200 looks like at home. You'll find yourself staying home and waiting for the DVDs to be released. I have a killer 7.1 surround system (Pioneer 49tx, Klipsch RP7 series, and Sunfire True Signature Subwoofer with a Buttkicker 2 bass shaker). The sound is pristine, the picture mesmerizing and I can pause the movie to use the bathroom or finish it another night if I'm tired.

Home theater is the bomb.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I also upgraded my sound to 7.1 before I took the pj plunge. I am using the samsung unit right now. Vinc is sending out a replacement for the D1 that I received that didn't work. I just keep hearing too many good things about picture quality to not try it again.

Has anyone had any luck on configuring the greens? My Pj looks dead on the button on the red and blue. I can't get the green right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TCB
I couldn't be happier with my 7200 as projected onto a 110" Stewart Firehawk. I agree with Paulgas, go to the multiplex, look at the picture and think about what your 7200 looks like at home. You'll find yourself staying home and waiting for the DVDs to be released. I have a killer 7.1 surround system (Pioneer 49tx, Klipsch RP7 series, and Sunfire True Signature Subwoofer with a Buttkicker 2 bass shaker). The sound is pristine, the picture mesmerizing and I can pause the movie to use the bathroom or finish it another night if I'm tired.

Home theater is the bomb.
TCB, I couldn't have said it better. I was a movie fanatic and went to about 2 movies a week. A good week was 3. When I built my dedicated home theater, I always thought it would be a great addition to my movie addiction. But after only six months, I was hooked. The last movie I saw in the theater was Finding Nemo. No other summer blockbuster was seen on the "big screen". But I plan to see everyone of them on my personal "big screen" 110" Firehawk. I love my 7200 and coupled with my 7.1 system (Anthem AVM20, Paradigm Reference all around, with Klipsch RSW-15 on the low end), I agree - sit back and simply enjoy. My favorite popcorn (Homestyle - Pop Secret), my favorite soda (Coca-Cola), and any damn thing I want. :D ...... and now I hear about a 7205. Somebody save me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.