AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hard drive in my Showstopper (30 gig) has begun showing signs of aging, ie the sound and video dropout and comeback constantly. I am looking to replace the drive with a 80 gigabyte drive. I found a 80 gb Maxtor 7200 rpm drive with 8mb cache for a decent price but am concerned about a 7200 rpm drive in the Showstopper. I know others have used 7200rpm drives successsfully, but am I still better off trying to find a 5400 rpm drive. Current the Showstopper is mounted on top of an entertainment stand so it has decent ventilation, but that could change with time.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
If the area the showstopper is kept is cooler than 80 to 85 degrees heat isn't a problem regardless of drive speed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I put an 80 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor in my Showstopper many months ago. I use this unit a lot, and it does get warm when it's working. For the first few months, I had a bolt-on drive fan, which I'm sure did some good. It's seemed like the fat guy who wears a suit with vertical strips to look thinner, it helps, but not very much. After a few hours of solid recording, the case was quite warm to the touch.

A few months ago, I bought a low-noise ( and low-air flow ) 4" 120VAC fan that I just placed on top of the case to suck the warm air out. It really cooled the thing down.

That said, it did run for months getting quite warm and never twitched once. In fact, with the original 30 GB drive, it was flawless too. I still have the original drive in the closet. It's too slow and too small for a PC.

What's kind of funny is that this 80 GB 7200 RPM drive came from Maxtor as a warranty replacement for the original drive in my then 3-week-old 5080. That original drive bit the big one, and they sent me a 7200 RPM drive to replace the 5400 RPM drive I sent them. I fooled them by putting a 200 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor in my 5080, and put the 80 GB drive in my Showstopper. :D

Of the five ReplayTV units in our house, only my wife's newer 5040 is original. In a few weeks, we'll be putting the original 80 GB drive from her older 5080 ( now a 5200 ) into that 5040 as a dual with the original 40 GB.

Dang . . . . now I'm getting confused :confused:

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I've had bad luck with 7200 drives in the 3k units. My units were in the open and usually with the covers off to keep them cool, still had the problems.

If you do go 7200 I'd suggest a fan, despite mikeyboy's stamp of approval.

I never thought of taking the 5040's drives and putting those in the 3k boxes I have. That's a great idea! Instant upgrade all around! -)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I've had bad luck with 7200 drives in the 3k units. My units were in the open and usually with the covers off to keep them cool, still had the problems.

If you do go 7200 I'd suggest a fan, despite mikeyboy's stamp of approval.

I never thought of taking the 5040's drives and putting those in the 3k boxes I have. That's a great idea! Instant upgrade all around! -)
I have no idea how a 3000 can overheat with the cover off. The drive isn't even close to the motherboards heat sensitive parts, located to the right side of the IDE connector. I admit ambient temperatures above 85 may be problematic for a fully assembled 3000 series, regardless of hard drive speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.