AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an Infocus 7200, but because of my room restrictions, I have to go with a small 16:9 screen. It can't be more than 65" wide (with a Stewart Luxus Deluxe wall screen that's about 71 1/2" to the outside frame...my maximum available wall width)).

According to a version of the Infocus screen calculator modified by someone else on this forum, the screen brightness will be between 67 and 78 lamperts. Would I be better off with a Greyhawk material rather than a Firehawk?? The Firehawk usually is the screen of choice here, I've noticed.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

TA

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I would definitely go with the GrayHawk over the FireHawk in your situation. The choice of GrayHawk or FireHawk really depends on foot-lamberts, ambient light (FireHawk is better at rejecting ambient light), and viewing angle (the GrayHawk is better if a very wide seating arrangement is planned).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott-

Thanks for the advice. I've seen on this forum and overwhelming preferrence for the Firehawk, but in my situation I was afraid hot-spotting...however, the Stewart website says that if your throw distance is at least 1.6 X the screen width and the projector is ceiling mounted, you should be OK. Both of these parameters will be met with my setup. Do you still think the Greyhawk would be better for me? I've also read some disparaging comments concerning the Greyhawk and muted whites; do you have any comments on this issue?

TA

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The FireHawk actually seems to be a darker gray than the GrayHawk. The higher gain of the FireHawk is the result of the optical coating which would probably result in a gain of around 2 on a white screen. The optical coating of the GrayHawk would result in a gain of around 1.35 on a white screen. Muddy blacks with either the GrayHawk or FireHawk are only noticeable on a split screen where part of the screen is white. Without this reference whites look white. Now, if the projector has insufficient light to result in sufficient foot-lamberts, then the whites may not have enough snap. This would not be the case with the InFocus 7200/65" wide GrayHawk combination. I would still stick to the GrayHawk, however, your best bet is to contact Stewart and obtain samples of both the FireHawk and GrayHawk for testing purposes.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I concur that the Grayhawk is a better bet. For a 36.5"x65" screen, you would have about 79 foot lamberts with a Firehawk. You would need sunglasses! Seriously, the eye strain after about 20 minutes would not be good at all. On a Grayhawk, you would have about 58 footlamberts, which is still bright, but a lot more reasonable. I would suggest some bias lighting behind the screen for either of these in order to reduce eye strain.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.