Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my 7200 Today.

Thanks to the members of this forum for helping me make my decision.

I will be running a bravo d1 (also coming in this week.) I have heard of "neutral lenses" that can be used with the 7200 to help with the blacks and contrast.

Is there any other Tweak that I should know about???

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The only other tweak would be to make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the PJ. Anybody else?

·
Registered
957 Posts
well depending on the size of your screen you may not need a neutral dens filter at all. I have 110" firehawk and do not want picture any darker. I have used the latest Digital Video Essentials to help with contrast and brightness. So far I have not gotten my DVI sat 520 to sync otherwise you will be very happy. Watching HDTV football last pm was a gas.

Paul

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Get Digital Video Essentials ($20-$25 from www.widescreenreview.com ) or Avia ($40) so that you can accurately set basic settings.

Get good quality DVI cable if you are going 10 meters or there abouts.

Settings on SP7200 for Bravo D-1:

Contrast, Brightness, Color - leave at 50

In Advanced Color Menu:

Red, Blue, Green gains - 66

Red, Blue, Green offsets - 39

Happy Viewing

Glenn

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
"Originally posted by Bob Williams

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Bravo D1 looks very good through DVI into the ScreenPlay 7200 test unit I have in my lab. It produces the best looking DVD playback I have seen to date.

The Bravo D1 seems to output CCIR 601 standard video which only contains brightness values from 16 to 240 out of 255, and this is consistent with the mastering of the DVD so this is fine. However, to take advantage of the full contrast ratio of the projector both brightness and contrast need to be adjusted. You can do this by setting brightness to 44 and contrast to 55.

If you are comfortable with the advanced menus, then I suggest instead of using the brightness and contrast control that you use the color offsets and gains. The brightness and contrast controls for the DVI input operate in 8 bits, while the color controls operate in 10 bits. So for the ultimate performance, leave brightness and contrast at 50, 50, and set the color offsets to 39 and the color gains to 66. This should eliminate any contouring due to loss of bit depth. "

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guitarman,

I was wondering about the setup issues on the Bravo player and am glad to see that Bob has had some experience with this. I would trust his opinion.

I got the cable from Infocus. I will be hooking it up this weekend. VERY EXCITED>

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Glenn had the right info, just thought you'd like to see the originator of that info.

It's good these projectors are digital, it seems these copied numbers work out well for all.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Actually, I take back what I said about the 5m DVI cable. I don't see anything coming up from the IF7200 (I was still connected on VGA).

I just bought my IF7200 and I don't know if it's the cable or the unit that's at fault.

Did you guys have to do anything to get DVI running from an HTPC? Are there any compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance.

-eric

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do any of you have a Bravo d1 player hooked up DVI???

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
"Actually, I take back what I said about the 5m DVI cable. I don't see anything coming up from the IF7200 (I was still connected on VGA)"

Eric, I'd bet you have the Samsung 931. I couldn't get any signal out of the Sammy with my 30' DVI cable. But I could get all signals with the Bravo D1 and the same cable.

What are you using PC/Bravo/Samsung?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Any tweaking advice for the Samsung?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Tom -> I'm actually just trying to connect my DVI output from my PC... I've had it working with my Sharp M20X (in 1024X768 mode) without any problems, but the IF7200 shows nothing. :/

Maybe I'll just use my VGA output.

Anybody having any luck with HTPC and IF7200 using DVI?

-eric

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Eric, is anything coming up on the screen during the boot process?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been trying to calibrate the red, green and blue with DV essentials. It is pretty neat that the red and blue are dead on out of the box.

The problem is trying to get the green right. I have tried for quite some time and can't quite get it right. Anybody else have any luck??

The 30 foot DVI cable from Infocus works just great with the Samsung player. So far I have really been impressed. Does anybody know the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2?

What gamma setting is everyone using? Computer with the DVI input or film 1/2. They seem almost the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.