AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung SIR T151. On the back is a resolution select switch. I can select between 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. I have a Sony 57WV700 RP TV. It's capable of all of those resolutions. Where do I set the switch? Does it have anything to do with the resolution being broadcast by the TV station? When I switch between the different modes, nothing seems to happen.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You want to choose the highest that you RPTV supports NATIVELY. Most RPTVs 'support' all of those resolutions, but only support 480 i/p and 1080i natively. Check your manual. I would guess that you will want to use 1080i.

·
Registered
934 Posts
one more note, 720p is supposed to look better than 1080i. However, most local stations are broadcasting in 1080i. ABC is the only one doing 720p.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Beefcake. If a station broadcasts in 720p and I have it set at 1080i, what happens, if anything? ( I hope these questions are not too dumb! Thanks for taking the time to answer!)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If a station broadcasts in 720p and you set the switch to 1080i, it

converts the signal to 1080i.

If a station transmits the native resolution of your TV set the switch

to that.

Otherwise, experiment with letting the set convert (if it can ....

many cannot accept a 720p input at all) or the STB convert.

I have a true 720p set. I can't tell any difference on the ABC

sitcoms transmitted at 720p between setting the switch at 720p or 1080i.

At 480p it clearly becomes much fuzzier ... but still better than a DVD.

At 480i it is fuzzier still .... but even at 480i the artifacts are minor, because these sitcoms are all actually from 24 Hz film and the set has a firat rate

deinterlacer. The only 1080i I have seen was from HDNet and the

STB used only allowed 1080i output ... it was the best, sharpest,

clearest picture at a huge CC store .... better than any 1080i TV in the

place.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
All STB receive all 18 ATSC digital formats on input from the antenna. The switch only tells the STB what format to output in. All input formats are converted to the format selected by the switch for output.

On my system, the Dish 6000, the output format is selected in a menu instead of a switch. I set it to 1080i when I first receiverd the STB and have never changed it. Most local channels broadcast in 1080i and there is actually no conversion required for these channels.

Some local channels broadcast in 720p (ABC) and some broadcast in 480p (UPN). These are both converted by the STB to 1080i to send to the TV. My TV only displays 1080i, 480i, or 480p.

I hope this helps.

Rick R

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
one more note, 720p is supposed to look better than 1080i.
This is an inaccurate statement. It depends on the type of programming and the source. Please don't spread such misinformation. 720p shines in certain cases as does 1080i. The are both great. There is no way anyone could make a broad statement like the one you stated.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I have a T151 also. If I were you, I would keep the switch at 1080i generally. However, you may want to experiment with switching it to 720p (if your TV supports that) when viewing ABC HDTV broadcasts.

FOX broadcasts in 480p. I changed the switch from 1080i to 480p for FOX, but didn't really notice much of a difference. So I just keep the switch at 1080i all the time. (My TV does not support 720p).

The manual simply says to put the switch at the highest resolution your TV supports.

Since the switch is not on the remote (you must physically move the switch in the back of the T151), laziness is another reason for simply keeping it at 1080i. :D

Eric

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My TV supports 720p but converts it to 1080i. Now that I understand what it's for, I'll try switching it for the various broadcasts. Laziness is definitely a factor in the benefit of switching it back and forth. I'm curious to see if it makes a noticable difference now that I know what it's for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.