AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mits WS that projects 1080i input. I have a DISH 6000 receiver that outputs either 720p or 1080i for HDTV. Obviously, I have chosen the 1080i output as that is what the MITS accepts for input on HDTV.

I have a problem, however, with viewing 720p broadcasts (i.e. ABC). No picture is shown whether I choose 720p or 1080i output on the DISH 6000. Has anyone else had any problems viewing the 720p broadcasts on a 1080i HDTV set? Should the DISH 6000 automatically convert 720p reception into 1080i output to my TV. If not, are there any fixes for the DISH 6000 or the MITS WS to allow for watching 720p broadcasts? Maybe I am just missing something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sarahlea:

I too have Dish 6000 and Mits HDTV, the 6000 converts 480p & 720p to 1080i, so you are correct.

Are you using components cable for the image signal from the 6000, and are they going into the DTV input in the back of the TV?

Are you able to view other 1080i channels, like HBO, SHO & Demo?

You should be able to watch ABC in HD, the 720p image is not as good as 1080i(in larger good quality sets), but still a heck of a lot better than 480i.

Good luck

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. As I understand it then, the DISH 6000 does output 1080i to the TV no matter if it is receiving it in 720p or 1080i.

I am using three component cables to connect the DISH 6000 to the back of the MITS WS. Nothing else (is there a better connection?). I am able to receive 1080i broadcasts on CBS and NBC and the Fox broadcasts in 480p (I don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime).

I will check again the next time I am home when ABC does a 720p broadcast and see if the problem persists. Maybe it was the OTA transmission from our local ABC affiliate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarahlea:

I am able to receive 1080i broadcasts on CBS and NBC and the Fox broadcasts in 480p (I don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime).
Sarahlea,

If you can get other stations in HD, then I think you may be right that the problem is the ABC station, have you ever receive ABC in HD or digital before?

It could also be the direction and/or type of antenna, but if you got ABC in HD before, then perhaps it was just that time.

Good luck.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tuned into NYPD Blue last night and I got a picture. However, although it was definitely a 16x9 broadcast and appeared to want to be HDTV, there were thin but significant visible horizontal scan lines. The standard definition mode worked fine (except of course it had less resolution).

I tried restarting the 6000 several times, thinking maybe it just needed some motivation to convert the 720p image fully but to no avail. Has anyone else had these problems?

This happened before on a FOX 480p broadcast (with larger visible horizontal scan lines), but the next week, it looked fine. Any suggestions? I have never had these problems with the CBS, NBC or PBS HDTV broadcasts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with an engineer at the local ABC affiliate and he says that they are passing through without modification any HDTV programming they get from network. They also upconvert any non-HD broadcasts.

My signal strength is strong on the ABC affiliate (85-92) from my unamplified medium distance traditional Winegard in the attic, but is it possible there are frequency or modulation issues with the progressive scan signal that cause variations in reception?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sarahlea,

It sounds like the specific problem is the ABC station or your antenna.

You may want to start a new topic and make specific to Houston and ABC reception.

I'm not an antenna person.

Good luck.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.