AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my TV is 720p capable, but my converter box is 1080i capable, should I set the resolution of the box to 720p?? Or will it not make much difference if I leave it at 1080i.

I guess this question would apply to my Xbox, as well. Should I bring it down from 1080i to 720p to match my TV?

Thanks for you time!!

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Set both boxes to the native resolution of your TV. This will give you the best picture. What kind of set is it (make and model)?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ninthdragon
Set both boxes to the native resolution of your TV. This will give you the best picture. What kind of set is it (make and model)?
I don't think this is necessarily true, if the scaler in the tv can do a better job of converting the picture than the STB it will produce a better picture. If for example you have a Samy DLP, native 720p, & you have a STB with a poor scaler doing the conversion from 1080i to 720p, your picture will not be as good as if you let the box pass the 1080i signal to the TV & let it do the scaling.

The bottom line is try it both ways and see which produces the better picture.

Jordan

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
I don't think this is necessarily true, if the scaler in the tv can do a better job of converting the picture than the STB it will produce a better picture. If for example you have a Samy DLP, native 720p, & you have a STB with a poor scaler doing the conversion from 1080i to 720p, your picture will not be as good as if you let the box pass the 1080i signal to the TV & let it do the scaling.

The bottom line is try it both ways and see which produces the better picture.

Jordan
I was a bit premature in trying to answer the question without the additional information I asked for. Trying it both ways is the way to go. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.