AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are plans for HDMI 1.4 compliant 720p DLP projectors?

I have an Acer H5360 and have been enjoying it for 3D games on the PC. But I would really like to have something compatible with the Xbox360 for COD Black Ops and the PS3 for Gran Turismo.

At first I was kind of optimistic about the Optima XL-HD, but reading more about the final specs it sounds like what it really does is convert 4 of the HDMI 1.4 formats to DLP-link. I like the sequential performance I get now with the nVidia 3D vision kit and am not that happy with what I've seen from DLP-link.

The high profile 1.4 projectors being hyped are 1080p and either SXRD or D-ILA which doesn't seem ideal for crosstalk free 3D or games on the current consoles.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
3D vison outputs in frame sequential for3D capable DLP dispalys. You can use either the Nvidia3D player IR emitter and the Nvidia 3D glasses or you can get DLP-Link glases which get their sync signal from the 3D DLP screen itself. If you use DLP-Link glases you still have to connect the Nvidai 3D player emitter to your PC even though you are not using it.

It appeas that the 3D-XL converts HDMI 1.4a 3D formats to 720p frame sequential for the 720p DLP projectors, see:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ideo_playback/

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering about what projectors might be available soon to replace my H5360. Ideally a 720p DLP that is HDMI 1.4 compatible on its own without a converter box that costs almost as much as the projector (more actually with the recent newegg deals).

3d for movies at 1080p may be all fine. But for games on the current platforms 720p is where it's going to be for now. DLP has a big update time advantage over LCD, SXRD and D-ILA.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Find the cheapest brightest Optoma 3D DLP you can that offers native widescreen 720p and get the converter. I am still banking under a grand is possible here for both of them. Of course then you need more glasses. I still think we will see sub $50 DLP-Link soon.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You've all seen that the originally estimated price of the 3d-xl went from the already high $399 to the crazy high $499.

I've recently discovered that this appears to only apply to US customers.

Amazon.co.uk and a slew of other UK sites are all selling the device for 250, which at current exchange rates is just a touch under the originally estimated $399. The price hike seems to originate from Optoma, since it's still selling at MSRP on Amazon's UK site.

I've sent an email to Optoma US sales expressing my displeasure for this unreasonable price hike for US customers, but one customer complaint isn't going to make a difference - however, I urge anyone else interested in this product to do the same - one customer taking note of this price gouging isn't going to fix anything, but an oucry could convince them to fix this issue before the device fully launches.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiler81 /forum/post/19803268

I visited a site not too long ago where someone outlined how they purchased the LG BX327 and it can connect directly to the PS3 displaying 3d without a convertor. Check it out:

maplefrog.com/croak/?p=59

You will have to insert the HTTP and www. I would have linked, but I do not have 3 posts.

Interesting... It is what I was looking for.

The thing is do you want to buy from Korea to get early access for it. Or just wait until it hits our region. At lest we know that they are coming out sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: I recently purchased the LG BX327 and listed below is my current setup.

PS3 - with latest update - $299

Onkyo Reciever - with HDMI 1.4 passthrough - $200

Comcast Digital DVR / Reciever - rental (by the way Comcast has a lot of 3d content on their ON DEMAND service

50 ft HDMI 1.4 high speed cable from Amazon - $30

LG BX327 Projector (awesome picture with 3200 ansi) - $775

2 Pair Optoma DLP Link shutter glasses - $160

So for around $1500 dollars you can get a 720P 3d setup.

Just to confirm, the projector does only display 3d in 4:3. It does not allow the screen to project a 16:9 picture with letterbox. I have contacted LG about releasing an update and although they don't have anything yet, it did sound promising that they would release and upgrade to allow 16:9 in 3d mode.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiler81 /forum/post/19919600

By the way I am looking for a copy of Avatar in 3d. If anyone is willing to part with theirs, or has an extra please PM me.

I'm attempting to avoid having to shell out 150$ on ebay.

Panasonic is now offering the Avatar Blu-ray 3D disc when you purchase one of their entry level Blu-ray 3D players, which sell for around $160. So the days of getting $150 for just the disc should be over very soon on eBay. Here is the Amazon link.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wrote up a review of what I saw at CES this year wit respect to stereoscopic 3D, projectors, and games. It has been picked up by Meant To Be Seen 3D which is one of the longest standing sites for 3D gaming stuff:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opti...2177&Itemid=77

I did get a Moome EXT V3 adapter and a Gen2 emitter which let's me use my Acer H5360 with the PS3 and the NVidia glasses I already have. It's satisfactory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The BX327 is posted on LG's commercial website. The owner's manual is located at the link below:

http://www.lgsolutions.com/products/...eady-projector

I'm also trying my hardest to get some sort of response from LG as to whether they will release a firmware update to allow 3D to display in 16:9. I can only assume that if more people call, the better our chances will be of having them develop an enhancement.

LG Commercial Support Line: Call them and let them know we need 16:9!

(888) 865-3026

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far Acer H5360BD and Optoma GT750 are HDMI 1.4 capable. Both are 720P.

My throw distance is 3 meters most, so 720P is enough to me. But still, i cannot find the best solution.

Do i need to choose a 720P 3D ready LED pj as Vititek Qumi, LG HW300T, ViewSonic PLED-W200 and Optoma ML300.

Or is it a better idea to have Acer 5360BD or Optoma GT750?

I have a pitch black room, 10 feet distance most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.