AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an HDTV newbie (I have been wanting it so bad for a long time), and I found a deal, which I thought was good (I am on a very limited budget).

It is an Apex 55" widescreen HDTV that I just got for $999.99 @ CompUSA.

Model: GB-55HD09W 55-inch Projection HDTV

In reading the manual it states that it is capable of recieving 1080i, 720p, 480i, and 480p signals, but that it cannot display 720p signals, they will be down converted. Can someone explain what this means? I have placed an order for Dish Network with HD pack and most channels I will recieve seem to broadcast 1080i anyway, did I make a mistake?

Also being that dish isnt hooked up yet (I will be using a model 811 reciever), I have hooked up my standard cable and it seems to look different (worse) than on my old tv (Hitachi 50" ultravision circa 2001, nonHD). I know the hitachi is a better tv, but shouldnt the HDTV look better? I have heard that HD sets dont do justice to cheap cable signals, could that be it?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the Dish model 811 do so?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pbiancardi

I am an HDTV newbie (I have been wanting it so bad for a long time), and I found a deal, which I thought was good (I am on a very limited budget).

It is an Apex 55" widescreen HDTV that I just got for $999.99 @ CompUSA.

Model: GB-55HD09W 55-inch Projection HDTV

In reading the manual it states that it is capable of recieving 1080i, 720p, 480i, and 480p signals, but that it cannot display 720p signals, they will be down converted. Can someone explain what this means? I have placed an order for Dish Network with HD pack and most channels I will recieve seem to broadcast 1080i anyway, did I make a mistake?
Down conversion means that the set will internally scale the 720p signal to 480p. This is the behavior of most RPTVs. Many HD boxes allow you to specify the output format for all signals (either using menus or via a switch on the back), if the 811 supports that, set it to 1080i and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Also being that dish isnt hooked up yet (I will be using a model 811 reciever), I have hooked up my standard cable and it seems to look different (worse) than on my old tv (Hitachi 50" ultravision circa 2001, nonHD). I know the hitachi is a better tv, but shouldnt the HDTV look better? I have heard that HD sets dont do justice to cheap cable signals, could that be it?
It's true that standard cable broadcasts (SDTV) do tend to look pretty bad on many HDTV sets simply because cable doesn't have enough information to fill the screen resolution adequately. The TV scales it (magnifies the picture) which results in a fuzzy or blurry image. On top of that, it will also make any weaknesses in your cable feed far more apparent. Make sure you have a strong signal and your standard definition material will look quite tolerable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
^^yes my digital SD looks ok, but the analog section of my cable package (1-100) looks pretty bad...with the exception of MTV for some reason.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Most CRT-based RPTVs 'sideconvert' 720p to 1080i, although some do downconvert to 480p. CRTs require more-robust and costlier components for 720p's higher sweep frequency--the reason set makers have stopped making such CRT RPTVs. My year-2000 CRT-based RPTV only displays 1080i or 480p (unless I tinker with computer inputs). Find my cable-delivered 480i signals appear best displayed at 480p. Viewing them upconverted to 1080i from my cable STB's component outputs makes them too fuzzy and washed out. -- John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.