AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a budget of $900 and I'm trying to decide between an Infocus In72 projector or a 32" vizio lcd. I would be watching about 40% movies on dvd, 40% tv, and 20% gaming(ps2, xbox, gamecube). Is the large 480p picture good enough to justify not buying an hdtv?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe you can get a 720p DLP projector the Optoma HD70 for your price range. However you will still need a screen (you can use a white wall or homemade screen), tv tuner (set top box) and sound system. Ambient light control is a must. Cabling will be more complex. Your room dimensions must be suitable for the projector including allowance for offset as placement is critical. The projector bulb will require regular (figure 1,000 - 2000 hours though it can vary significantly) replacement at a cost of 200-400 dollars depending on the exact model. If you can manage all this I can assure you that the image and the immersive experience are well beyond what you will get on a small LCD screen especially for XBOX, HDTV and DVD playback. SD TV signals that are digital will be acceptable. But note that analog SD signals from my cable carrier are extremely poor when projected 92 inches wide. Oh, and the projector may not be wife friendly, or at least is not for my wife. Which is why I have a pull up screen in front of a 50" plasma. She can work that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you guys think it's worth it to buy the in72 now and in a year upgrade to 720p? the reason i ask is because I found the in72 for under $500 (after rebate). By next year 720p projectors would be a lot cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.