AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any TVs, RP or direct view that display natively 720p? I'd like it to be less than 3000, but I dont really care about the price. I havent seen one....

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Not TVs - only big multisync computer monitors like the Monovision units. Regular HDTV sets with internal tuners are 1080i native and if they support 720p they upconvert to 1080i.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yes, DonBerg is correct. However, Monivision & Princeton Graphics monitors come with VisionBox modules that allow for component inputs and internal TV tuners. So you can convert the Monivision into a TV if you wish and still get native 720p and 1080i without any upconverting.

You can also get aftermarket boxes for $99-$399 depending on their capabilities.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
isnt converting 720p to 1080i downconverting, since there are less lines per field on the screen? 540 vs 720?

My basic decision is about either the sony 34xbr910 or A Panasonic 42" plasma. The panasonic is an EDTV, so its 480p, and since there are no "TV"s that are 720p, which would you all choose?

which do you think will have a better picture? 480p or 540i?

it seems that everyone here really likes Sony, and I do as well, If you had to spend money on either two, which would you pick? thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
If the basic decision is between the Sony 34xbr910 and a Panny 42" ED plasma, then (for me) the big decision would be what size do you want? This may depend on where you sit.

My Sony 34xbr800 34" widescreen looks great from 7'. If you get much beyond 8 to 10', you may really want the 42" and some would say go with the 42" at 8' or more. There are also the other significant differences in just the way they look, space they take up, the Sony is more of a TV (more connectors & good stereo sound), while the Panny is more of a display per se, etc.

This is just my opinion but if you are under 8' and watch mostly HDTV, then the 34xbr910 sounds attractive but if you are over 8' and watch mostly DVDs then there sure are a lot of happy 42" Panny EDTV owners. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Y
My sampo 34" does 720P, has VGA and component input. But I don't think it is available anymore.
Yep, the Sampo 34" monitor was an excellent choice. It's really too bad none of the mainstream TV companies make monitors anymore.

We are smack right in the middle of the period between the age of large screen monitors (pre-2000) and the age of cheap plasma HDTVs. As soon as Plasma HDTVs (> 1280x720 resolutions) become affordable (

·
Registered
452 Posts
The native resolution of the Samsung DLP RPTVs is 1280 x 720. Not quite under $3k though.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, let me be more specific. the room is roughly 20' by 20'. Its a family room that opens into a kitchen, which is also 20' by 20'. Space isnt an issue, either TV will work. I am gonna get separate speakers regardless, for stereo sound, I dont think any TV speaker could be heard well from 40' away. Basically, if i'm spending arond 3,000, and from what i've read in the direct view board, SonyXBR is the best, and since there are no 720p TVs, except monitors, which isnt something I want, I guess I'll go with the Panasonic, because 1. i've seen screen shots from a member and it looks amazing, even for EDTV. 2. its natively progressive and a little bigger than the 34, which might be good for viewing at distances. Also there may be a pool table in the family room, and usually direct view TVs are placed on Low stands, which would be then obstructed by the pool table. So a wall mounted Plasma may just be the most equitable solution. Again, i'm basically concerned with quality and after what I read on the Secrets for Home theater and Hifi about Interlaced and progressive, i think i'm gonna lean towards progressive, even if it is 480p, vs 540i.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ou8thisSN,

Have you considered getting a $3000 wall projector? There are a lot of them that are 720p native. And they will give you > 60' screen, depending on the size of your wall.

Also, don't discount monitors. What is wrong with a 38" monitor (36" viewable)? A monitor can display TV signals like a normal TV if you have a TV tuner box hooked up to the VGA input of the monitor or a HTPC with a good TV tuner. Check out the link in my signature below and decide if that's what you want or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.