AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting a ps3 for my bedroom but the bedroom set is a dlp that goes only up to 1080i.

gaming mostly call of duty fps games, just wondering if i should set the ps3 to 720p or 1080i for best experience?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 720p or 1080i anyway.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool /forum/post/20866233

I think the rule of thumb is to feed the TV its native resolution so there is the least conversion possible.

On the flipside, most games are only 720p at best (so resizing has to occur somewhere) and making the system interlace the signal, just to be de-interlaced in the TV may be counter-productive.

I go with the theory of trying both and picking the one that looks better to you. When in doubt, this is always the correct answer.

-Suntan

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool /forum/post/20866233

I think the rule of thumb is to feed the TV its native resolution so there is the least conversion possible.

Well there will have to be a conversion either way. A TV that says it is 1080i just means that it cannot display a 1080p60 signal because it is too much data for the TV to handle; but it can receive 1080p24 and 1080p30. However, the native resolution of the TV is still 1080. If the TV receives 1080i signal from the PS3, it will have to deinterlace it, which is a fair bit amount of processing. If it is fed 720p signal, it will not have to deinterlace it since it is receiving 60 full frames in this case. BUT it WILL have to scale it. So in either case, about the same amount of processing will occur. However, if you set it up as 720p, the picture will be a little smoother. But if you set it up as 1080i, the picture will be a little sharper. I would choose 720p if you play a lot of sports or racing games. Otherwise, I would choose 1080i.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 /forum/post/20864040

getting a ps3 for my bedroom but the bedroom set is a dlp that goes only up to 1080i.

Gaming mostly call of duty fps games, just wondering if i should set the ps3 to 720p or 1080i for best experience?

The DLP is a fixed-pixel display, that means it is incapable of displaying an interlaced signal. Everything you see on that display is progressive because the technology inside the set doesn't produce an image using Scan Lines.

Having said that, set the ps3 to both 720p and 1080i, your TV will scale 720p signals to its display and convert 1080i to 1080p automatically. Most games will throw out a 720p signal, and blu ray movies will output at 1080i which your tv will convert to a progressive signal. No Worries.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, the dlp is like 5 or 6 years old. i think ill do what headrusch recommends and set it to 720p and 1080i. the only question is do i hook it up to the tv using component or hdmi?

the tv has 2 hdmi and 2 component. both hdmi are taken (direct tv hd dvr and toshiba hd dvd player), but i was planning to do ps3 hdmi and switch hd dvd player to component since it goes only up to 1080i.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I just realized something...you said your display was 720p and not 1080, correct? If your DLP is a 1280x720 native display then just set the PS3 to output 720p.

For some reason I had it in my head that your DLP was 1080p.......and on the PS3, which has no internal scalar, setting it to 1080i can actually screw up some games.....which will try to run at 1080i over 720p, with negative consequences (again, because the 1080i scaling on the PS3 has had to be done in software specific to the game, if its even supported at all, usually with fugly results).

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Actually it depends on the quality of the scaler in the output device or the display device. I've fed 720p signals to a 720p device and been happy, and I've fed 1080p to a 720p device and the scaler does a good job making it appear that I'm getting more sharpness out of my picture.

This applied more when I was sending data to a 480 projector however, less so at 720p to 1080p.

PS: Try the Watchmen Blu Ray test.....see if the picture looks sharper when fed at 1080i versus 720p...curious to see what your scaler in your TV is like....let us know how it all works out.

PPSS: Connect the HDDVD Player via Component, not HDMI.......let the PS3 have the HDMI connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.