AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our HD box installed from Comcast for our Sammy 5065w, but I can't get a 720p signal from the box. I can get 1080i, no problem. I'm not sure on the differences on the resolutions, but I assume 1080i is better? Should I keep it at this resolution or try to swap it out for a box that does 720p?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loraan
If you're asking this question, then you probably won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080i. Sit back and enjoy your TV and don't worry about it.
By the way, that was not meant to be insulting, although in retrospect, I realize that it could be read that way. What I meant to say was that the "average viewer" probably wouldn't notice the difference between these two formats unless he/she were told what to look for, and even then, the HD picture would still look so good that he/she might not care. Since you're asking this question, you confirm that you don't know the deficiencies to look for in each format. I'm suggesting that, instead of worrying about it, exchanging your box, pissing off your wife (maybe), etc... you just enjoy your fabulous HD picture :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
And finally: given that your Samsung displays 720p natively, it doesn't matter what your box outputs: you're going to get 720p.

If you're watching 720p programming, then the best option is to output 720p from the box so that no conversion of the signal has to occur.

If you're watching 1080i programming, then you should decide whether you want to set the box to 720p and let it convert 1080i->720p or set the box to 1080i and let the Samsung do the conversion. Not sure? Try both and see which looks better (BTW, I bet you can't tell the difference).

If you're watching 720p programming, you may not want to set the box to 1080i, since then the box will convert to 720p->1080i and the TV will have to convert 1080i->720p. This is two unnecessary conversions. Having the box output 720p will pass 720p signals through unchanged and subject 1080i signals to only one conversion (in the box).

Most over-the-air HD is 1080i, I believe, except for ABC. Don't know about cable/satellite channels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
720p vs 1080i has been covered extensively in the AVS HD forums, do a search there for an answer:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...p?s=&forumid=6

Also check out:
http://www.dtv720p.com/

Which has some good articles explaining the technical differences.

One thing to note: If your watching a program that is originally 720P (ABC for example) you cable box is converting it to 1080i to send to your TV which, if it's a fixed 720p set, is converting it AGAIN back to 720p. More conversion equals more degradation in picture.. not that most "viewers" would notice.. nor would they want to switch the settings in the service menus every time they changed channels...

-Jon

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by loraan
If you're asking this question, then you probably won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080i. Sit back and enjoy your TV and don't worry about it.
Actually, I can't get a 720p to come from the cable box so I'm not able to compare any differences. I'm not a videophile by any means and I don't have electron microscopes for eyes like some people, so I'm sure I won't be able to notice any difference between 720p and 1080i anyway. I guess it was more a matter of having the ability to choose. Heh. BTW, I didn't take any offense to the remark. :)

The picture from 1080i looks amazing, and so yes, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the picture. I'm just disappointed that there aren't any more HD channels. :(

Now I'm just waiting for my Samsung 931 to arrive....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.