AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I exit the menu, the tv displays "lamp high bright, natural, 720p". I suspect it is outputting 720p but can't find an option to change it. I'm using directv so the input is 1080i, shouldn't it be upconverting to 1980p automatically?

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrober  /t/1416907/720p-output#post_22155961

When I exit the menu, the tv displays "lamp high bright, natural, 720p". I suspect it is outputting 720p but can't find an option to change it. I'm using directv so the input is 1080i, shouldn't it be upconverting to 1980p automatically?

thanks

If you're using HDMI or Component Video Cables, The TV knows to output 1080(assuming it's capable) when it sees that signal. It would be the device hooked up to TV, that you would need to adjust.

I have Cox Cable myself, and right in the box menu, you can choose between 480i, 480p, 720, 1080 etc.

Have you tried a different device such as Blu ray player to see if that outputs at 1080?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes, the on-screen display is showing you what is comming in to the TV, not what the TV changes it to. The TV upconverts EVERYTHING to 1080p so there is no reason to display that.

The TV displays only one resolution - 1080p - and upconverts everything to 1080p. This includes 480i and 480p. The only signal that is not up

Your source device is sending 720p if that is what is on the display. Satelite receivers, like cable boxes, can be set to output one resolution, and if needed, convert to that one resolution.

However, boxes often can be set to output "native" which is the origianl resoultion the broadcaster sent to the satellite or cable company and woul mean the output changes as you change channels.

ABC, FOX, ESPN are all channels that are 720p. CBS and NBC are normally 1080i originally.

Other HD channels can be either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hooked up an anntena and it says it's displaying 1080i, so I guess it's a directv issue. I'll try talking to them. Thanks for your input gentlemen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts