Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other... (Confusion Ensues!!! ;) )

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some input on a couple TVs I am looking at. I've read through a fair (lots and lots) of threads on the forum but was looking for any additional insight. I've also researched the two TVs in question and for the price they really can't be beat (or can they?).

Basically I am looking at the Samsung 720p Plasma (PN42B450) and the LG 1080p LCD (37LH30).

I guess I want to know if the 1080 is really all that worth it for an HTPC or is 720p "good enough". The plasma would be better for watching sports but the 1080p would probably be better for HTPC and movies. Both are about the same price so....

Thanks!!

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Go for the 42" 720p. Unless your closer than 3-5feet you can't tell the difference.

· Registered
8,203 Posts
The plasma all day. I went through what you are doing last year. Went with the 720p plasma and have been happy ever since. Dont hesitate. 1080p isnt a big deal at 37".

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with the 720p plasma b/9 it has a vga port and I can run the htpc at its native resolution. The lack of motion blur for sports is a big factor too. Also I think I can manage with the text resolution at 720p (768p).

· Registered
1,180 Posts
As someone who has HTPC attached to 1080p and a media extender attached to a 720p set there is no way I would pick 720p. Granted for DVD video you will not see any difference, however for 1080i content and most definately for the HTPC UI you will see a clear difference.

· Registered
469 Posts
720p. Others have mentioned the size. Combine that with the better blacks you're going to get with the plasma and it's a no-brainer. 1080p is wasted on anything less than 50" anyway.

· Registered
520 Posts
I typically tend to agree with majority that are voting for the 720p Plasma unless you are using the screen ALL day as an HTPC. I used to day trade and the LCD is better for LONG EXTENDED HOURS of computer work. If you are on the screen less than an hour or two a day for actual static computer imaging I vote for the plasma.

· Registered
936 Posts
I voted for the smaller LCD only because I hate 720p plasmas. The 3-segment pixels are large and obvious and the resolution is probable 1024x768 rather than 1280x720. When I helped my step-dad shop for a plasma at Xmas all the 720p plasmas had obvious artifact'ing and blockingness. He had started out thinking that "high definition" was overblown and unnecessary but eventually he decided to pay the premium for 1080p plasma.

· Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero /forum/post/18133436

I voted for the smaller LCD only because I hate 720p plasmas. The 3-segment pixels are large and obvious and the resolution is probable 1024x768 rather than 1280x720. When I helped my step-dad shop for a plasma at Xmas all the 720p plasmas had obvious artifact'ing and blockingness. He had started out thinking that "high definition" was overblown and unnecessary but eventually he decided to pay the premium for 1080p plasma.

I did vote for the plasma, because of the better picture a plasma gives over an LCD. But, sdsalsero makes a good point about the resolution. If this TV has 1024x768 instead of 1280x720, then I would find a different Plasma that has the 1280x720. With an HTPC, your going to have troubles with 1024x768.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. I've had quite a screwy twist and turn. So I got the Sammy plasma because it is one of the best entry-level plasmas (or so I've read). Unfortunately the person shipping it was not too intelligent and upon opening my beautiful TV it was smashed. I mean it looks like it was dropped from at least 10ft. Anyways the e-tailer I ordered from (at a great price btw) is out of stock now and all I got back was my refund.

The problem is that now I am half tempted to upgrade to a 1080p entry-level plasma like the TC-P42S1. Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks? Or should I just be satisfied re-ordering the Sammy from another location?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

· Registered
148 Posts
I vote for 1080p with a htpc just to avoid scaling, fill issues etc. Especially if the htpc is used for OTA broadcasts, a 720p screen is not recommended.

· Registered
501 Posts
As someone that runs PCs at both 720p and 1080p, go with the 1080p.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have a 1024x768 resolution plasma with htpc and it's basically fine from 10 feet.

You can set media center to 1 to 1 pixel map on the plasma without distorting the image which looks good.

You may have a problem though with running 23.976 refresh rate on any resolution except 1080p over hdmi.

Although, I've just worked out how to run 1920x1080 at 23.976 over vga which works great for smooth hd video playback. Might not work on all 768 res plasmas though.

· Registered
8,254 Posts
I've got both plasma and LCD sets. Personally, I'd still rather watch a show on my 6 year old 480p plasma than watch it on an LCD flat panel. YMMV.

And yes, HTPCs can work just fine at lower resolutions. Just make sure whichever TV you get accepts its native res as an input and you are 95% there already.

As for the question of 720p vs 1080p, It depends on the size of the screen and distance you sit to it. That said, for most livingrooms (and the normal sized TVs that get put into them) 720p is more than enough, imo.

-Suntan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.