AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to upgrade my tv. To sum things up I am either looking at either a 720P Plasma with 600HZ or a 1080P LCD with 60HZ.

My viewing area will be roughly 8-10 feet. I will be using this tv for HD cable (watch a lot of sports), xbox 360 gaming, and bluray movies.

I am leaning towards the plasma simply for the fact that I can get a bigger set at a more afforadable price. 42" plasma vs a 32" lcd. Also looking to spend $600-700.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Go with the plasma. Sitting that far back your not going to notice a difference in picture quality between the two with that screen size.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 /forum/post/18261111

Go with the plasma. Sitting that far back your not going to notice a difference in picture quality between the two with that screen size.

Agree completely. The Plasma will be a better all around choice. At 10' the OP could go with a 50" and be fine with a 720p. If he looks hard enough he could probably get a 50" in his price range. I have seen the Panasonic 720p for $699 at multiple stores in the past. Especially with the 2010 models coming shortly.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18261373

Agree completely. The Plasma will be a better all around choice. At 10' the OP could go with a 50" and be fine with a 720p. If he looks hard enough he could probably get a 50" in his price range. I have seen the Panasonic 720p for $699 at multiple stores in the past. Especially with the 2010 models coming shortly.

i agree and we actually bought the Panny 50X1 720p plasma for exactly that price at a B & M store locally just 3 weeks ago

10 feet away from it, it looks amazing and we had a 40" 120hz LCD before it for less than a week it got returned in favor for the plasma because it was too small

it was a Toshiba 40xv645u and cost the same as the Panny 50X1

Panny has better contrast, colors, motion resolution big time better and much better viewing angles

the Toshiba has a better image if your within 6 feet and watching a blu-ray and no chance of IR thats about it for pluses vs the plasma in our eyes

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
At 12 feet we are so much happier with our 55" 1080p model then were with our 46" 720p model, we would never go back. Do we see all of the 1080p detail from 1080i progaming perfectly at 11 feet but we certainly see a lot more detail from 720p programing on the same TV.

Dont be confused by the marketing hype that the plasms has 600Hz sub field refresh rate. All that means is that e 60FPS plasma refresh each frame 10 times to to reduce pixel fade.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a 720P plasma since 2005, and it still never ceases to amaze me with the detail. Especially from greater than 6-7 feet away. If I get too close, closer than 2-5 feet, I can see the pixels of course, but I don't watch that closely usually. My cat will get that close, and closer, to the TV thinking it is real, and it fools her completely. Even at 6 inches away. A regular CRT, 4:3 TV doesn't fool her at any distance, unless there is rapid action.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18262482

At 12 feet we are so much happier with our 55" 1080p model then were with our 46" 720p model, we would never go back. Do we see all of the 1080p detail from 1080i progaming perfectly at 11 feet but we certainly see a lot more detail from 720p programing on the same TV.

Dont be confused by the marketing hype that the plasms has 600Hz sub field refresh rate. All that means is that e 60FPS plasma refresh each frame 10 times to to reduce pixel fade.

of course you see more detail its 9" bigger, that has more to do with it from 12 feet away than 720p vs 1080p.

i'm not saying 1080p even at that distance doesn't add detail i'm sure it does it just becomes very hard to see that detail unless you move closer to the TV, the size increase is the majority of what your seeing not the resolution increase

·
Registered
626 Posts
you will not be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at 8-10 feet on a 42" tv. It is very hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42", only reason it becomes easy is screen door effect or if you are using it as a computer monitor. If you are getting a plasma just stay away from lg, its not really worth the discount over panasonic or samsung.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What I was trying to point out was that if I have my STB tuned to a 1080i channel I see more detail if the content of that channel is sent to my HDTV in 1080i or in 720p.

I credit this to the fact that when content is downscaled from 1080i or 1080p to 720p by just deleating 1/2 of the pixels or by merging the content of the deleatd pixels with adjacent pixels that the image presented is not as as sharp. If you are comparing program content origionaly "filmed" with a 720p camera instead of a 1080i or 1080p camera then I agree that at the longer distances the content on the screen will look the same.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Resolution is the least important aspect of picture quality.

what matters more is how much compression is used in the video

a great example of this is watching a high quality DVD like a Superbit DVD or THX cert DVD vs watching broadcast HDTV at 720p or 1080i it does not really matter

the DVD's will look better regardless of TV size or native resolution because that DVD your watching is recorded with near blu-ray level bitrates (20mbs) and broadcast HDTV as per wikipedia

Quote:
Each commercial terrestrial DTV channel in North America is permitted to be broadcast at a data rate up to 19 megabits per second, or 2.375 megabytes per second. However, the broadcaster does not need to use this entire bandwidth for just one broadcast channel. Instead the broadcast can be subdivided across several video subchannels (aka feeds) of varying quality and compression rates, including non-video datacasting services that allow one-way high-bandwidth streaming of data to computers.

I'm not sure about your local channels but every single one here in the SF bay runs 2 or more channels on their frequency thereby damaging image quality and Cable companies are even worse about it

Sat and FiOS are the only one's delivering high quality HDTV right now because they are using a much better more efficient codec h.264, blu-ray's often use this codec. if you look at a blu-ray and they say AVC 30Mps etc. they are using h.264

h.264 fixes MPEG-2's macro blocking problem and rather than turning blocky as compression gets too low they just loose fine detail in the image making it look smoother and to your eyes sitting on a couch 8-10 feet away it does not matter what your TV's resolution is, it looks good

h.264 is so good of a codec that the pirating scene uses it to compress Blu-Ray rips of movies down from their original size of 30+ Gigs for 1 movie down to 10-12 Gigs and it still looks excellent, i would say it looks almost as good if not just as good when I'm sitting in front of a 1080p 37" LCD TV watching it from just a couple feet away

so yeah my point is much of the HDTV out there today is too low of quality to matter whether its being watched on a 720p or 1080p TV at 8-10 feet away unless you got a massive screen (projector or maybe a 65" plasma/LCD) and when it comes to blu-ray's they will look amazing at that distance regardless of your TV's resolution as long as its got good video hardware inside it and a good picture to go with it.

i've stopped watching movies on my 37" 1080p LCD from 2-3 feet away even blu-ray in favor of watching it on our 50" 720p plasma at 10 feet away because the loss of detail between the two is not enough to matter and the superior contrast, overall picture quality and motion resolution make the experience for me not 1080p

now if i get up and stand 3 feet away from that plasma it looks terrible compared to my LCD but that is how it goes and why the LCD TV is my PC's monitor (well that and burn in risks haha)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18275859

Resolution is the least important aspect of picture quality.

what matters more is how much compression is used in the video

a great example of this is watching a high quality DVD like a Superbit DVD or THX cert DVD vs watching broadcast HDTV at 720p or 1080i it does not really matter

the DVD's will look better regardless of TV size or native resolution because that DVD your watching is recorded with near blu-ray level bitrates (20mbs) and broadcast HDTV as per wikipedia

I just can't let this go without commenting.

There certainly is a HUGE difference between 480p and 720p/1080i. Maybe you don't notice it on your setup, but I can on mine. I do have a large LCD (65"), and a theatre room with a 9' screen, but it can be noticed on much smaller sets as well.

I will agree that if your cable/satelite company sends out an overcompressed signal, that there can be blocking and artifacts that can be annoying, making the DVD version more watchable in those situations. That would be rare, in my case. I watch plenty of HD cable in my theatre room, and although isn't as good as Bluray, it is quite superior to DVD - at any bitrate.

Art

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/18277749

I just can't let this go without commenting.

There certainly is a HUGE difference between 480p and 720p/1080i. Maybe you don't notice it on your setup, but I can on mine. I do have a large LCD (65"), and a theatre room with a 9' screen, but it can be noticed on much smaller sets as well.

I will agree that if your cable/satelite company sends out an overcompressed signal, that there can be blocking and artifacts that can be annoying, making the DVD version more watchable in those situations. That would be rare, in my case. I watch plenty of HD cable in my theatre room, and although isn't as good as Bluray, it is quite superior to DVD - at any bitrate.

Art

+1

The real excitement is in the 55 inch and larger sets, both LCD and Plasma. There are a lot of people lining up for the Vizio 72 inch LCD and the 1080P Panasonic 65 S 1 plasma is at a very good price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up buying a PN50C450. Had it side by side a PN50C550 and there was barely a difference from my viewing distance. Plus, it was less than $600. =)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good choice. The 450 is the 1st plasma that really caught my eye and made me investigate plasma alot closer.

I almost did the 450, and thought it had a better PQ than the 550 but in the end the 550 had some other features I wanted and went with it but as far as using it's 1080p capability, I dont own a bluray so it gets wasted for the time being.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts