Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the resources here and so after some reading I just decided to jump in and create "yet another thread." I almost bought a Samsung hd931 until I happened to read it doesn't send the dark blacks 0-6 and some other issues, and I barely understand these things. I admit that. So here is my request:

I have a Samsung HLN617W. I just got it. I'm looking for a progressive scan 720p DVD player, preferably one that has a DVI output. I want the DVI output to look good and I guess I want it to pass PLUGE even though I only barely understand what that is. I also have heard of the chroma bug and I want to avoid that. I want to spend $400 or less.

Can someone recommend a few players that would meet my criteria? Right now I'm using an old dvd player and I'm sure anything would look better ... it doesnt even support progressive scan. I just want someone with knowledge to give me a few "Strong" choices that will be good purchases, whether I fully understand why or not.

I know you guys must get this all the time. It would be nice if there were a database where you could put in criteria like "Passes PLUGE" or "Chroma Bug" and a price range or other options and keep the database updated. That way newbies could jump on and search for DVD players meeting their needs.

Oh well.

Any help? Again, sorry about the newbie thing.

Lewis

·
Registered
638 Posts
for the sammy dlp set you should look for a dvi player which limits you to the Bravo D1 and the Sammy 931 in your price range. most owners of these set will tell you the PQ advantages of DVI outstrip any concerns over the issues mentioned.

the Bravo D2 should be out soon and there may or may not be a sammy 935 on the way supposedly supporting DVD Audio.

If you'd prefer to wait until the issues with these DVI players are worked out, you should keep your current player and run it in interlaced mode, or look for a better quality interlace player. You do not need a progressive scan player as your TV can do an excellent job of deinterlacing - better than most progressive players.

So really, just simplify your search by looking for a DVI player you can affoard. Wait it out if the problems with the available boxes are to disconcerting at the moment.

jb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jb33,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not even sure how to force my current player to do interlaced mode. For all I know it is already. :) I should read the manual, thats what it is for. :)

If anyone else has advice, please give it. In the mean time I'll look into the Bravo D1 and the Sammy 931.

Again, thanks!

Lewis

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have both the D1 and the HD931. The HD931 would not output DVI to my projector so I bought the D1. Got that yesterday and it produced a very nice picture on the PJ. Granted I have about 3 hrs of time on it, it looks great. The HD931 I hooked up to my HLN567W and it looks fantastic set to 720P. Don't know much about the pass pluge, blacks and what not and don't really care, the PQ is all that matters and IMO think it produces a good picture on DVI-HDCP compliant devices. Never knew I had all these things to worry about until I started reading all the posts. Really PQ is very subjective, if it looks good to you and the family, thats all that really matters IMO.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RockTV,

Thanks. Maybe I will just go ahead and get the HD931. I don't mind buying a new player in 6 months, maybe when more DVI models come out.

So, what kind of DVI cable do I need? Isn't there a PC DVI and a "Real" DVI one? Or at least there was some issue with different kinds of DVI. Not sure. Any tips?

Thanks a million!

Lewis

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
AnimatedU:

You need a single link DVD-D. Pacific Cable has them at a reasonable price. I use one of their 2-meter cables between my DLP and my Bravo D1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.