AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


I've been looking at getting either the HC4000 or 8350, but I am wondering if a 720p projector might be an option as well.


Are there there 720p projectors that are cheaper than the entry level 1080pjs. but have just as good or better contrast and just as good or better color quality?


I watch a lot of 720p and lower res content, only really get 1080i from NBC, WCCO and TPT.


I've tested 720p vs. 1080p on my 21.5" 1080p LCD monitor. (I use the same content and flip back and forth between the different resolutions.) Oddly, the 720p is not only a little fuzzier, but the colors don't seem as vibrant, like everything is shrouded in a shade of gray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam /forum/post/20780926


Hi,

I've tested 720p vs. 1080p on my 21.5" 1080p LCD monitor. (I use the same content and flip back and forth between the different resolutions.) Oddly, the 720p is not only a little fuzzier, but the colors don't seem as vibrant, like everything is shrouded in a shade of gray.

That doesn't sound like a resolution issue. Using the same source, colors will look identical in either resolution.


Since you say you only use 1080 for some limited tv viewing, I would say you'd be fine with a 720p projector and you will save a lot of money. For most of your content it will look as good as any 1080p projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam /forum/post/0


Hi,


I've been looking at getting either the HC4000 or 8350, but I am wondering if a 720p projector might be an option as well.


Are there there 720p projectors that are cheaper than the entry level 1080pjs. but have just as good or better contrast and just as good or better color quality?


I watch a lot of 720p and lower res content, only really get 1080i from NBC, WCCO and TPT.


I've tested 720p vs. 1080p on my 21.5" 1080p LCD monitor. (I use the same content and flip back and forth between the different resolutions.) Oddly, the 720p is not only a little fuzzier, but the colors don't seem as vibrant, like everything is shrouded in a shade of gray.

On your monitor, the lower resolution is suffering from scaling artifacts. Every display looks best in native resolution. 720p projectors look fine as long as your HT seating is far enough away so pixelation is not visible. Their brightness and contrast is better than 1080p. Color is comparable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any recommendations on 720p projectors?


I'm finding it much harder to find home theater shootouts for 720p projectors than 1080p projectors.


And a lot of the 720p projectors seem to have worse cr (2000:1) . Could you point me to a comparison review of 720p projectors with high cr?



Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,764 Posts
You can't just go off specs when it comes to contrast. Based on what you are looking for I recommend looking into this PJ:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso...or_reviews.htm


You can find it for under $700.


That said, you can find some solid 1080p projectors in the $900 range as well. If you are thinking about Blu-Ray I would spend a little more now and get something so you don't have upgradeitus soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blu rays seem to be coming down in price, seeing some for 10$, maybe its time to get a player : )


I am a little worried that if I can see some blurriness on my 21.5 inch screen in 720p that it will be even more visible on a 100" plus screen. (Maybe it has to do with screen size to viewing distance ratio but maybe there are other dynamics as well, like eye focus difference at diff distances)


I am wondering how much of a difference the benq w700 would have with 10,000:1 stated contrast over the mits 4000:1 (its a dlp, and I've read the stated contrast on those is a bit more accurate to rl than lcd stated contrast).


Would you rather watch a 1080p blu ray on the mits or the w700?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam /forum/post/20787788


blu rays seem to be coming down in price, seeing some for 10$, maybe its time to get a player : )


I am a little worried that if I can see some blurriness on my 21.5 inch screen in 720p that it will be even more visible on a 100" plus screen. (Maybe it has to do with screen size to viewing distance ratio but maybe there are other dynamics as well, like eye focus difference at diff distances)


I am wondering how much of a difference the benq w700 would have with 10,000:1 stated contrast over the mits 4000:1 (its a dlp, and I've read the stated contrast on those is a bit more accurate to rl than lcd stated contrast).


Would you rather watch a 1080p blu ray on the mits or the w700?

I would go with the Mits. Contrast is often overstated.


Can you talk to us more about your room? How large a screen are you looking for? How far back will you be sitting? Your room is a big part of picking a projector. Budget DLP projectors are not going to have the placement flexibility that LCD based projectors will. If you like sports, DLP might be preferable. Not sure if you have visited projectorcentral but there is a wealth of info there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
I agree with Ack. Contrast numbers can be muddied quite a bit with the introduction of secondary factors like automatic irises on some models where the actual native contrast of the display may not be accurately represented in the specs.


For example: My Samsung SP-H710ae projector has a rated contrast of 2800:1 and yet out of the box it produces a much better overall black level than my Epson Home cinema 1080 and its (exaggerated by the use of an iris) 11,000:1 ratio.


Also keep in mind that some common HD sources are actually broadcast in 720p (Fox, ABC, ESPN) so content from such a source would simply be upscaled on a 1080p display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't decided yet on a room, I have several options.


Here are some rough sizes:


Living room: 10' high x 14' wide' 30' long

-"dull" green walls, white ceiling, wood floor covered by blue oriental rug


Foyer: 10' high x 9' wide x 20' long

-walls: 1/2 dark brown wood paneling, 1/2 off-white (yellowish), same off white ceiling, wood floor covered by two black coffee tables


Landing: 10' high x 13' wide x 20' long

-light gray walls, white ceiling,

-floor: 1/2 wood floor at 10' height, 1/2 empty space (stairwell) with variable 20' height.


There are some smaller rooms, but figured I'd have less of a problem with ambient light in the larger rooms.



Not sure about screen size, I was thinking about maybe 120" 16:9 at 14' viewing distance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam /forum/post/0



...Not sure about screen size, I was thinking about maybe 120" 16:9 at 14' viewing distance?

At that viewing angle you are totally in 1080p territory. You don't want 720p. The picture will be pixelated, and you will be very unhappy.
 

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR | 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
Joined
·
5,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailimexam /forum/post/0


I haven't decided yet on a room, I have several options.


Here are some rough sizes:


Living room: 10' high x 14' wide' 30' long

-"dull" green walls, white ceiling, wood floor covered by blue oriental rug


Foyer: 10' high x 9' wide x 20' long

-walls: 1/2 dark brown wood paneling, 1/2 off-white (yellowish), same off white ceiling, wood floor covered by two black coffee tables


Landing: 10' high x 13' wide x 20' long

-light gray walls, white ceiling,

-floor: 1/2 wood floor at 10' height, 1/2 empty space (stairwell) with variable 20' height.


There are some smaller rooms, but figured I'd have less of a problem with ambient light in the larger rooms.


Not sure about screen size, I was thinking about maybe 120" 16:9 at 14' viewing distance?

You can go larger with 720p projectors because they are brighter, but less than 100in will look far better. I bought my father a Benq 600+ and I tested everything on my 120in first at my place, then I got him a 80in screen. It looks much better on his much smaller screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
720 p projectors are brighter when they are properly calibrated for noise level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I bought a Mits HC1600 about two years ago. It was only about $600 from Amazon. I would recommend you do the same. Alas you will need a time machine. I has been a great machine but the days of 720 HD are ending.


Like you I found that most of the HD that I watched was 720p not 1080i. At that time Netflix was just coming out with HD streaming. It seemed a good match and cost about one third of the Panny 3000 I was also considering.


But Mitsubishi has discontinued the HC1600 and has not replaced it with a comparable 720 model. Amazon streaming is now available at 1080 and Netflix is now moving also to 1080 streaming. Look at the wall. See the writing?


Pixelation cannot be seen by me on my 110" screen 12 feet away. Maybe some eagle eyed viewer could see some but I doubt it. Pixelization was a problem with transmissive LCD machines. Reflective technologies (LCoS or DLP) have better fill factors so this isn't much of a problem.


However a good Blu-ray disk (1080p) does looks noticeably better than any other source even on a 720 machine. It's not just resolution that makes Blu-ray better.


So on balance 720 is all almost anyone will ever need. But even so, I'm moving to a 1080 machine because that's where the market is dragging me. My cranky old father in law used to have a BetaMax VCR. He would bore everyone to death with his rants about how Beta was better than VHS. You don't want to be that guy. The market has moved away from 720.


Unless there is something better announced at Cedia next month, I'll be getting an HC4000. Can't fight the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,563 Posts
Spring for the extra coin and go 1080p .. I don't know how many times over the last 40+ years I've convinced myself to go with old tech and save some cash .. regretting it in 6 months or less ..
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top