Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Toshiba 36HFX71 tv (4:3 HDTV ready) which I bought 3 years ago. I have been very happy with it. I bought it mainly for viewing DVDs with the thought of someday going to HDTV. HDTV was not available in my area (besides Direct TV) and it still not. The cable company keeps telling me six more months ...

Progressive DVDs look great on this TV. Recently I bought an xbox and the games look great on the tv. Most of the games are 480p and many of them are anamorphic. I recently bought a 720p game and to my dismay it does not play in 720p mode on my tv. When I set the xbox to 720p I can hear sound but there is no picture. When I play the game at 480p it runs fine. After looking at the tv's manual I discovered that the tv only supports 480i/p and 1080i.

I thought that my tv would up convert a 720p signal to 1080i. Is this usually the case? When I do move over to HDTV is the fact that my tv does not support 720p going to be a problem?

Thanks!

Flip

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 36"XBR400 (which is what, at least 3 years old now). It was just a bit premature to buy at that point. Most new sets will do the upconversion if they don't support 720p natively.

With the notable exception of 720p xbox games (I'm in the same boat there so I play em on my computer monitor if I want to), it's not a big deal. HDTV you get through 1080i. Just make sure that the HD tuner/STB can do the conversion for you (just about all of them can these days). Make sure you ask before you commit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.