AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bunch of research and it seems that 720p rear projection tvs might actually have a better picture for watching tv sports and maybe even blu ray?

CNET says that contrast ratio is more important than resolution. I think I want a 56in. DLP or LCOS tv with the highest contrast ratio. The problem seems that companies are putting the better hardware in the 1080p and the 720p contrast ratios suffer (example Samsung xx87 has 10,000 contrast ratio and xx86 has 2500). Am I right, and what is the best high contrast 56in 720p tv for less than $1800?

I love this place and thank you for helping me find my tv.

Gabe

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
In the first 4 seconds of observation, CNET would be right. Otherwise they are quite far off the mark. There are many factors that go into making a "better" pix. The importance of those factors will vary with the user's preferences and priorities, but in gerneral, contrast is so high on most RPTVs that it is irrelevant. Often, the artificailly high contrast is achieved at the expense of detail in the dark and white areas.

So, the answer to your question is, no, you are not right. There is much more to the matter than such a simplification can address.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabej /forum/post/0

CNET says that contrast ratio is more important than resolution.

But the 1080p displays have better contrast and better black levels than their 720p counterparts. If you want the best PQ, sorry, but it's 1080p (either LCOS or DLP, flip a coin).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

So if black levels are most important and I'm hunting a 56 incher for about 1700 the JVC is the way to go? Or should I go Samsung DLP? I think Sony's too much and I'm afraid of the blob!

Is there another quality tv that's 1080p with good blacks in my price range?

Thanks,

Gabe

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

But the 1080p displays have better contrast and better black levels than their 720p counterparts. If you want the best PQ, sorry, but it's 1080p (either LCOS or DLP, flip a coin).

What does 1080p have to do with contrast and black levels? How can you make such a generalization?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:

Bill,

So if black levels are most important and I'm hunting a 56 incher for about 1700 the JVC is the way to go? Or should I go Samsung DLP? I think Sony's too much and I'm afraid of the blob!

Is there another quality tv that's 1080p with good blacks in my price range?

Thanks,

Gabe

You are asking for generalizations that will lead to getting a lot of unqualified opinions. I suggest that you look at a few sets on several different sources, learn how to adjust black levels on them, then view them again with a known disc that you are very familiar with, after adjusting each one for that disc. You will likely find that calibration makes more difference than the sets, up to a point. That point is where you make your decision. There are other factors beyond black performance that you may find are important to you. View, then view some more. Learn what YOU like.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:

Bill,

It depends. The 720p JVC's have terrible blacks. IMO, DLPs have better blacks than LCD or even LCOS.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/0

What does 1080p have to do with contrast and black levels? How can you make such a generalization?

I generalize because it's true: the 1080p sets do have better blacks than their 720p counterparts. Check out the specs and go look at them in stores. For example, the 1080p Samsung DLPs have better blacks than the 720p Samsung DLPs (that is what I mean by "their counterparts"). (I am not saying that every 1080p display has better blacks than every 720p display, only better than their counterparts.)

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:

I have been doing a bunch of research and it seems that 720p rear projection tvs might actually have a better picture for watching tv sports and maybe even blu ray?

1080i/p has twice the format resolution of 720p. The enhanced crispness of 1080i programming, even though its effective resolution (resolvable detail) is less than full format, is easy to see on adequate displays whether motion is involved or not.

1080 DVDs, fully exploited, can deliver more resolution than 720p displays can present. Newer 1080/24p master recordings of movies, including ~4k X 2k oversamplings/downconversions, will help boost the effective resolutions delivered by 1080 DVDs.

Quote:
CNET says that contrast ratio is more important than resolution.

Nonsensical. Resolution IS contrast, and adequate contrast is especially important to display the highest frequencies/resolutions while providing darker blacks for 3D-like images ('depth'). Best bet these days, IMO, is buying the largest 1080p display one can afford, hopefully one that passes the tests listed by Merson . -- John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.