AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hdtv (non-DVI/HDMI) that does not accept a 720p signal. What is a recommended processor that can convert an incoming signal to 1080i? I have checked out the ADS upconverter but there are some very bad reviews of this throughout the net. Are there any others that can achieve what I need with better responses?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Most standard HDTV Tuners can do this onboard. Check there first. Since you are looking to interlace a progressive signal, the hardest to do portion of most outboard scalers are not going to be used.

Otherwise, there is a good chance that your HDTV can accept 540p (which to the set will look like 1080i). In which case, a good outboard scaler can do it for you. HD-Leeza from Key Digital is one, but there are quite a few others.

DM

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Getting a good 720p to 1080i scaler is still a touchy topic.

Too many of them go from 720p to 540p in terms of subject matter, which is a loss of quality. (The analog output might still be perfect 1080i which is 1125 total scan lines for a complete frame)

There are no easy to find and use test patterns that will verify that you are really getting a 720p to 1080i conversion.

As far as a standalone unit such as what you might need to connect a video game to an HDTV set with, I don't know where to purchase one let alone a good one.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is why Joe Kane said the minimum resolution required for HDTV is 720P therefore all those 1080i only sets = 540P are not true HDTV's time to upgrade IMHO .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.