AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39 inch 720P LCD and have the option of setting it up to accept 1080i signal. So what resolution would give you the best overall picture 720p or 1080i. I Just recently got this thing and also a new Bluray player so I thought I would just ask first I can always experiment latter. Thanks

Tom j.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are no recent 720p LCD sets. They all have 768px1366 or 1080px1920 screens. 39 inch sets are rare I don't know of a single one. Anyway, back to your question. The answer to this question IS ALWAYS THE SAME. Try each setting and decide which one you believe looks the best. Enjoy HD as much as you can.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
^ +1 I am also not aware of any 39" LCD or plasma TVs. Some things will look a little better in 1080i and others will look better in 720p. The average viewer can't tell the difference. To me, sports and fast-motion events tend to look better in 720p but that may just be in my head. It can also be source dependent. My cable box is clearly better outputting 720p over 1080i.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Display depends on resolution. And resolution depends upon pixels, so more the pixels- more resolution, more the resolution - better the picture - equation simplified, when there is improvement in resolution i.e. 1080p resolution, you will get the best picture quality. 1080p resolution complies with next generation video games, Blu- ray and HD DVD movies.

There are very few TV stations that are delivering 1080p contents. Though, you can enjoy full it on Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and the next generation game consoles (Starting with Playstation 3). There shouldn't be any doubt about the picture quality delivered by 1080p contents. So, go for a TV or projector with 1080p because we suppose that very soon all the Broadcast station will deliver contents based on 1080p.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Imo a TV that size isnt going to show much difference at 1080i/p at normal viewing distances. You'd have to be treating it like a computer monitor (or just like sitting right up to your TV) to really benefit from 1080.

To put it in perspective, you technically need a 67" TV to see a 1080 benefit at 8-10 ft. or so. Contrarily, bigger TVs absolutely rely on increased resolution or else they become grainy or pixelated... whereas smaller TVs dont have this issue.

FYI: there's a big problem in these forums reviewing sets of smaller sizes and thinking that a bigger one of the same model will perform the same. That's just completely false. Shoot, many times the same model can have a completely different screen design (especially pixel density) at a bigger size.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/17018030

Display depends on resolution. And resolution depends upon pixels, so more the pixels- more resolution, more the resolution - better the picture - equation simplified, when there is improvement in resolution i.e. 1080p resolution, you will get the best picture quality. 1080p resolution complies with next generation video games, Blu- ray and HD DVD movies.

There are very few TV stations that are delivering 1080p contents. Though, you can enjoy full it on Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and the next generation game consoles (Starting with Playstation 3). There shouldn't be any doubt about the picture quality delivered by 1080p contents. So, go for a TV or projector with 1080p because we suppose that very soon all the Broadcast station will deliver contents based on 1080p.

The OP was asking about 1080i, not 1080p.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt31 /forum/post/17017337

I have a 39 inch 720P LCD and have the option of setting it up to accept 1080i signal. So what resolution would give you the best overall picture 720p or 1080i. I Just recently got this thing and also a new Bluray player so I thought I would just ask first I can always experiment latter. Thanks

Tom j.

Oops!! sorry I meant 37 inch didn't realise it would create such a fuss.

Tom j.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/17018067

The OP was asking about 1080i, not 1080p.

Yes that correct I was referring to 1080i, I think I read somewhere that at 1080i you might get more pixelation from a 720p TV possibly becaue it's being upconverted?? Still somewhat new to this and just trying to catch up. Especially before I buy my new 52 inch plasma or LCD. Thanks

Tom j.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
A couple of points:

1) Regardless of the signal, an LCD panel will display everything at the native resolution of the panel. In other words, you cannot "see" a 1080i/p program on a 720p panel until the signal has been converted to 720p.

2) Which resolution will look "better" in this case will often depend upon many factors, including the quality of the signal processing hardware/software in the display itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts