Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody...

For DVD viewing, what is mostly preferred amongst 720p and 1080i sets? I understand that genre may play a roll such as action and fast paced as opposed to more dialogue driven films. Yet, is there a dominating preference?

Some sets convert to 720p like the DLP technology. But Direct view convert to 1080i. Does anybody have any info on which type of technology to go with for somebody who is in the market for a New monitor? Are there any 34"+ does can deliver both?

thanks,

joey

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you are playing a DVD movie via a set-top box DVD player, the player will output only 480p and your display will most likely display it at 480p unless you can somehow configure your set to display all incoming signals at 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
720p would probably be ideal for DVD viewing, but different resolutions have their advantages. I personally use 1440x960i because I find the picture density and black levels to be much improved over 720x480p. It's also good that it's an even multiple of the original resolution. 1920x1080i is not as good because it is both interlaced and a rather uneven multiple of anamorphic DVDs, however many people still consider it better than regular 480p because of the greatly increased picture density.

There is an older Sampo 34" that is absolutely barebones on features but reproduces 720p. It's said to produce an astonishing picture. Unfortunately it has no DVI input so the few DVD players that will produce 720p images (Like the Bravo D1 and the newer Samsung model) are more or less useless for it.

Any Monivision monitor is going to be able to produce native 720p or 1080i, but again lacks a DVI port.

A good monitor with a DVI-HDCP port will accept signals from the handful of DVD players that are capable of upconverting DVD to 720p or 1080i. If you go with that option, make sure to set the DVD player to output the monitor's native scan rate (which will undoubtedly be 1080i for CRTs and 720p for DLPs).

A very good route to take right now would be a Sony XBR910 and a Bravo D1 DVD player. Set the D1 for 1080i output. Those two choices would really complement each other.

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question on resolutions

Ok, I am new to this whole Home Theater/Display thing. I am sure I have already made some bad mistakes, BUT I would like to do my best to fix them.

First I bought a Sony Home-Theater-In-A-Box with Progressive Scan DVD player (NOT integrated into Receiver). I know, it is probably one of the seven deadly sins around this forum. I bought it a year ago knowing I would be getting an HDTV.

I recently purchased a Sony 32HS510. I think this was a smarter choice than the HTIB system. Anyway, I currently have the DVD player set to Progressive. My understanding is that this send a 480p signal to the tv which displays it unchanged. Is this a fact? or does it convert it? I am connecting DVD to TV by component Video cables.

Would it be better to set the DVD player to Interlace and let the TV convert it to 1080i (I believe this is the TV's native format)? Would the TV do this convertion or just display 480p anyway? There was a thread on this forum that mentioned some DVD players do this converting better than TV's. It isn't any of the fancy DVD players listed there. As I mentioned it is a Sony DVD w/ Progressive Scan. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd model from their top of the line a year ago.

Sorry for the length of this message, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My apologies, I did consider that but the topic of Resolution seemed similar and often times forums wish to limit the number of "similar" Threads. I will start a new one though.

Again, I apologize.

Joel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"A very good route to take right now would be a Sony XBR910 and a Bravo D1 DVD player. Set the D1 for 1080i output. Those two choices would really complement each other."

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at your suggestion and see if it's the best thing for me right now. It's always good to talk to folks who use and study these things as opposed to reading reviews and/or talking to salesman. Some reviews are okay, but all salesman usually don't know what they're talking about...lol. Well, that is, Most of them at least.

joey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Azanon,

Thanks for clarifying that there aren't any 720p tube base sets. I thought there was, but never found a TV that was capable of doing it in my price range. So I searched in the DLP section and found 720p, but no 1080i....

the only thing that came to mind then was.............sheeeeeeesh. So was it possible that they just didn't make a DLP and/or a Tube based that is capable of doing both? and the answer is YUP, at least for now. Well at least I can stop searching for that. Thanks again...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I can maybe see how having both would be nice, but I really only want 720p. A progressive scan image is just beautiful because there's no subtle shimmering/flickering. IMHO, 480p is "almost" as pleasing as 1080i on my set simply because the image looks like a painting and you cant subtlely tell the image is actually being scanned. But because the detail is so much less on 480p, i still opt for 1080i.

But if i had a 720p option, i would never choose 1080i, even on shows that have 1080i as a native output resolution (like CBS).

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am currently using a Liteon 2001 via component output upscaled by the Liteon to 1080i on a Sony KV34XBR910.

720p is upscaled by the 910 to 1080i, just not as sharp as the 1080i from the Liteon.

my .02 worth

MB1010

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.