AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be purchasing a new projector for my Family room and was seriousle considering the PLZ5 which is 720P. I currently run a 720P Panny PXU700 50" plasma and I am happy with the hi def in that format. I have been looking and for just about a grand more I could go with the 1080 PLV2000.

My main question goes out to those who have had the 720P projectors and went to 1080P projectors. Is there really that much difference?

My room is 15" wide and 22" long the projector will have a 21ft throw to where it will be mounted and the screen location. I will be getting a 85-90" wide screen but will be using the cheaper screen that will come with the PJ for the time being. I will have total light control or damn near total light control once I get my blinds in.

I have both 1080P and 720P sources at the momnent, any input would be greatly appericiated.

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipD /forum/post/12885957

I will soon be purchasing a new projector for my Family room and was seriousle considering the PLZ5 which is 720P.

Phil,

I was in a similar boat and just today decided on the Epson HC720. The difference in 720p to 1080p was not justifiable to me considering the difference in price at this time.

Here is a review for the HC720 http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso...tor_review.htm

they favor this unit over the Z5 as this quote points out

"The Sanyo PLV-Z5 has been one of our favorite 720p projectors for a long time. We have done extensive comparative testing of the Z5 with many other 720p projectors, and the Z5 usually comes out on top. However, in this case the Cinema 720 showed better black level, overall dynamic range, and lumen output in all image modes. Color saturation was richer as well.

The Sanyo Z5 maintains a clear advantage in connectivity with two HDMI ports and two component video ports compared to one each on the Cinema 720. You also get three years warranty compared to two years on the Cinema 720. Pixelation is comparable on both models. Overall, we feel that unless the connectivity is a key factor for you, the Cinema 720 produces the stronger image. It appears that the Z5 has finally met its match. "

The epson also has a $100 rebate going on and a free spare bulb. All this can be had for less than $1200. A total steal imo.

·
Registered
447 Posts
with such a small screen(verry funny when you think about it
) , at such a large seating distance you are not going to notice much of a difference imo.

BUT for those with 100'' + screens sitting equal to or less than x1.3 from the screen, this is when you need to step it up to 1080P

My room is rather small, And I cannot sit any further away than about 9' from my 99'' screen. there is a DEFINATE improvment to be made as far as pixels are concerned...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have included that my first row of seating will be between 120 and 132" (10 to 11 feet) the second row will be around 180" (15 feet). 130" is 1.5X's the 90 in wide which is what I thought was fair distance for the 720P. Any thoughts??

Thanks for those who have shared so far.

Later

Phil

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/12891049

Well if you are looking at the z5 you should at least think about the Mitsubishi HC4900 which is 1080p and $1400

Agreed. The Z5 IMO doesn't really offer you very good bang-for-the-buck these days now that several of the DLP units can be had for under $1K and give a better image. To each his own but if I had to go LCD and had a budget for the Z5, I would spend the few extra $'s and get the Mits.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The PLZ5 won't throw a picture as small as 90" wide from 21'.

I believe the only projectors that will do this are the Epson LCDs.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF /forum/post/12893836

That is true. The Epson HC720 would be a good choice. Forum sponsor visual apex sells them.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/12893444

now that several of the DLP units can be had for under $1K and give a better image.

This is definitely subjective. I have had DLP for 3 years and have switched to an LCD because I prefer that image.

·
Registered
447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle /forum/post/12894081

This is definitely subjective. I have had DLP for 3 years and have switched to an LCD because I prefer that image.

really? this is the first I have heard...

what about LCD do you like better ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF /forum/post/12893836

Acording to Projector Central and the pro calculator the Z5 should throw 90" wide from 20'9" at 12fl which is not enough. The HC4900 has a 17" throw for the same size and 11fl which I think would not be enough at that distance Thanks for all your input and advice I now have even tougher decisions to make after reading the HC4900 review.

It looks as if most information and input are leaning toward the 1080P, not suprizing as this is the way the trends are going....newer, better and getting cheaper.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza /forum/post/12894630

really? this is the first I have heard...

what about LCD do you like better ?

I found it a lot easier to watch if that makes any sense. Just something about the overall look of the picture appealed to me more. I was not sure why and am still not 100% sure. Up until a month ago I was convinced my next PJ would be a DLP again. After a buddy of mine got a Z5 my opinion changed. I am not sensitive to rainbows but really found the LCD easier to watch for long periods of time. I also liked the way it handled colors and the football games I watched were excellent. I still had some doubts, and possibly still do (hence my other thread on the subject). However I have decided to go LCD this time around and will see how it goes. I fully expect to be happy as a pig in you know what.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can add my own experience. A friend has a Pana Au2000 1080p LCD pj, and I have a infocus SP7210 720p DLP. I think the Panna has a better pq, but I would not spend $1.6 more on that pj...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle /forum/post/12894883

I found it a lot easier to watch if that makes any sense. Just something about the overall look of the picture appealed to me more. I was not sure why and am still not 100% sure. Up until a month ago I was convinced my next PJ would be a DLP again. After a buddy of mine got a Z5 my opinion changed. I am not sensitive to rainbows but really found the LCD easier to watch for long periods of time. I also liked the way it handled colors and the football games I watched were excellent. I still had some doubts, and possibly still do (hence my other thread on the subject). However I have decided to go LCD this time around and will see how it goes. I fully expect to be happy as a pig in you know what.

I agree with you on the color. LCD color IMO is superior to DLP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here is what I am down too looking at getting.

PLV-Z2000, extra bulb, cheap screen, mount and 30ft HDMI cable for $2497, or the PLV-Z5, no bulb, same cheap screen, same mount and 30ft HDMI cable for $1599. After taxes the difference to go 1080P vs 720P is $942.90.

Now what do you all have to say to that LOL. I could take that difference and put it toward the screen I want to get down the road and have it next month or I go go with the PLV-Z2000 and wait longer and then get the screen. I know that the screen is just as important as the PJ for making the PQ the best it can be. I never thought that this decision would be so tough. I looked at the HC4900 and the cheapest I can get it for is $500 more than the 2000 so that is out and from all the reading I have done I beileve the 2000 will fit my needs very well.

Thanks for all the advice and input.

Phil

·
Registered
735 Posts
are you going to connect any 10080P devcies? (HD-DVD or BR?) If yes than its totally worth IMHO. I went from Sanyo Z2 (720P) to Sanyo Z2000. If you are going to watch HDTV and SD DVD, may not be worth the extra grand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have HD DVD, thinking of BR when they come down a bit more, HDTV, Xbox360, will be watching SD DVD as well. I just do not want to make a mistake picking the wrong format. I know I could always sell it and up grade but we all know how well that goes with the "BOSS" of it all. It would be better to get it over with now the $$ part I mean then try to talk her into upgrading LOL. You know the saying "better to beg forgivenance than to ask permision" LOL it is true trust me.

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipD /forum/post/12913728

...PLV-Z2000, extra bulb, cheap screen, mount and 30ft HDMI cable for $2497.... I looked at the HC4900 and the cheapest I can get it for is $500 more than the 2000...

I think you can do better on the HC4900. Like, $1000 better. I could be confused and someone please correct me, but the HC4900 has been commonly available for $1400 after rebate. That's not $500 more than the $2497 (even with the goodies).

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/12916068

I think you can do better on the HC4900. Like, $1000 better. I could be confused and someone please correct me, but the HC4900 has been commonly available for $1400 after rebate. That's not $500 more than the $2497 (even with the goodies).

Am I wrong?

You are correct.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well acording to all the pricing I can find in Canada the HC4900 is ont cheaper at the moment and there is no rebate for Canada as far as I can see. The quote I received was for $500 more, sorry what mor can I say LOL.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26385

Later

Phil

1 - 20 of 46 Posts