AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between the 73" and 65" Mitsubishi's and the 64" Pioneer. I have not seen the 73" Mits (and can not find one to preview) so I will have to decide based on seeing the 65" alone. I recently saw the Pioneer 720 without the protective screen (I had never seen ANY RPTV without it's screen cover) and was pretty impressed. Looked better to me than the 65" Mits but I saw that one with the screen cover on. My question is this...how does the 73" with it's 9" lenses compare with the 65" (and 64") with their 7" lenses? Is it comparable to front projectors where the 9" lenses are significantly better in terms of brightness and resolution, or is it not as important with RPTV?? Since I cannot see the 73" for myself, this is a big (and pricey) decision I am making, so any help would be appreciated. For a variety of reasons I have stepped back from choosing a front projector system, so I am looking for a large image. By the way, is a seating distance of 13' ok for the 73"??

Thank you for any input.

Robert

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I sit 15' from my WS-73907 and it is just about right for 480p. If I sit a little closer, I can make out scan lines so take that into consideration if you might be sensitive to that. For HDTV 13' is no problem at all.

The 9" CRTs do give you more resolution (only significant for HDTV) but do not expect more brightness. It is a bigger screen that that has to be lit up after all.

The protective screen is extremely easy to remove on the the Mitsubishi and the newer models actually have an anti-reflective coating that some people seem to consider acceptable (I would still remove it).

One of my customers said it pretty well yesterday. When you see a big TV in a store, it looks pretty small (due to the size of the showroom, etc.) but when you get it home it seems huge. Then after a couple of days you get used to it and it looks small again.

If your budget allows, I would go for the 73" Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Two notes to consider(from the guys who move/deliver em')

Just to take what Cheezmo said about the Mits protective screen a touch further, not only does it come off easily, it also is shipped from the factory off the TV, so if you dont want it on, dont have the guys who deliver it put it on to begin with.

The second note deals with where in your house any of these big TV's might be going and how its going to get there... Both the Mits 65's and the 73 can come apart in two sections( top/and bottom) so will fit down stairwells etc. We have put both of these models of TV's in places we couldnt fit a 55" due to corners! The Pioneer, on the other hand, is a single piece cabinet and is very wide. All three are heavy(350lbs+ on the 64/65" and in excess of 400lbs on the 73".

If you are placing these units on the main floor or have a walk out basement, none of this matters. If however, you plan on placing the unit upstairs, downstairs or around a tight corner, consider how you can get it there before buying it. We have taken "Dream" TV's back to the store because they didnt fit more times than I wish to tell!

All three are fine tv's with subtle differences in features, and all will please you in the end. Personally that 73" with HDTV(and properly calibrated) is hard to match for picture quality, plus is quite a conversation piece, when showing it to friends and family. Your wife, however, will think youve lost your mind.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your help....

Cheezmo, I will be 16' from the wall, therefore about 13' from the screen. It is so tough deciding about the 73" without seeing it and standing 13' away and viewing different sources.

Tvguys, I know that moving it down to my room will be a problem. Downstairs and make a corner. The local dealer who came out on-site said I needed to go with the mitsubishi because it came apart, although a onepiece (Pioneer) might be an option with piano movers hoisting it up to the deck and bringing it through the double deckdoors...as I describe this, it starts to sound more ludicrous, so perhaps I should just think about the 675" vs 73 " Mitsubishi.

By the way, today the architect and the designer told me that a box sticking out into the room 34-36" (depth plus a few inches behind) was not going to work in the room, aesthetically or in terms of traffic flow, that is unless I borrow from my adjacent wine cellar!!They want me to get a plasma, wall-mounted. I might spring for a 50", but the 61" at 25K is ridiculous. And after reducing my scope from 100" front projector to 65-73" RPTV, and now down to 50" (viewed at 15-16') plasma, my Home Theater is becoming a TV room!

Robert

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
How about the 65" Mitsubishi? Easier to get into the home and still huge.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You probably won't be able to notice the scan line issue at 13' in a showroom. Unless contrast is turned down to a reasonable level, it has been properly mechanically and ectrostatically focused, and has been well converged. Until all that is done they will probably blur together just fine ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just remember, if you hoist it in you must hoist it out. So any repairs requiring the unit go to the shop, require professional movers(both ways). We move back and forth pretty regularly here, and for my money I'd go with the Mits just based on down stairs and around the corner. The light boxes are removable for servicing on both the 65" and 73", so at least that option also exists. Also consider an extended waranty if you go with the RPTV's. Most pay for moving costs incurred.

I present a pretty bleak picture here regarding your TV going in for service, but the fact is, no matter how well manufactured your TV is, some small percentage may have to go in for repairs, so never think it wont be you.

By the way, you dont have to place the TV serveral inches from the wall. Your depth (including the mirror) on the 65' is 28 3/8 and 22 1/16" just in the cabinet. The 73" is 29 7/8 (including mirror) and 22 1/16" (cabinet). Have your contractor recess the mirror into the wall and you are only talking about 22-23 inches, or less than most RPTV's. You'll want to leave a cutout below the mirror for hookup and ventilation. Seen this work in several installs.

Kevin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi -- I have a 73 for 2 years and love it. One thing I like is with the large wide screen it allows good viewing on split screen. I often watch 2 shows at once. I also have the cover screen off. It does make a difference!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with cheezmo on this one, you'd be hard pressed to find a better performer at the mits price range (no matter which size you pick) I love them and wish i had the space for a 73!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I saw one of these sets demoed with OTA broadcast. The HD looks great - They even showed me the D-VHS with a recorded PBS program. I saw pixelation and errors when played from the recorder, but the guy showed me that it was actually in the broadcast feed too since the same program was on the PBS demo loop at the same time.

The point I'm getting to is the SD picture. He switched to one of the other PBS (sub)channels and there was some documentary playing. The picture was TERRIBLE. Continuous blocking was severe. This is what video looks like on a PC when you blow up a small window to full screen with no interpolation. Does all digital SD programming look this bad on Mits. integrated sets? Even my Tivo on Basic Quality looks better than that on my 36XBR.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Continuous blocking sounds like an encoding bitrate problem from the PBS network. If they have an HD channel and more than one other SD sub-channel then the bitrate is probably pretty low. Much like watching a lower quality recording from ReplayTV or TIVO.

The digital SD programming here in Dallas is a mixed bag. Some channels have excellent encoders and others have poor ones. Sometimes they experiment with different bitrates and quality varies from day to day. I don't think you can blame the TV for that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.