AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my viewing distance, I could use a 80" diagnonal screen. I'd like to avoid front-projection. Anybody aware of rear-projection DLPs larger than 73" planning to be released in the future?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I haven't heard anything about that and I agree it doesn't seem likely with the way the market is going, RPTVs in general are becoming more of a "niche" item and the manufacturers are obsessed with this whole slim/light trend which does not lend itself well to bigger screen sizes.

Mits sold an (expensive!) 82" a few years ago and sometimes people will trot out big sets at CES (Like JVC's 110", 700+ pound monster), but I haven't heard anything lately. I went back and forth for months between a 72-73" set (hoping to hear about something bigger at CES but it didn't happen) and a FP at 90-100" and ended up buying a 72" Samsung.

The LED projectors are intriguing - if that allows them to eliminate the cost of bulbs, crank out more brightness, and get rid of the fan noise it will be very compelling... Though mounting the thing and running wires is still a pain...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose the next question (though wrong forum) is whether there is going to be a consumer-targeted 80" flat panel. I'm aware of the expensive, nearly prototype models by LG & Runco.

I originally had all intentions on front-projection, but that was when I had a couch 13' from the screen wall and I needed a 100-109" screen. Now that I have tiered home theater seating, and the front row is 8-9' away, the ideal screen size is 80-85", thus more in the range of rear-projection or flat panel.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis-r /forum/post/14220563

I suppose the next question (though wrong forum) is whether there is going to be a consumer-targeted 80" flat panel. I'm aware of the expensive, nearly prototype models by LG & Runco.

I originally had all intentions on front-projection, but that was when I had a couch 13' from the screen wall and I needed a 100-109" screen. Now that I have tiered home theater seating, and the front row is 8-9' away, the ideal screen size is 80-85", thus more in the range of rear-projection or flat panel.

well a flat panel would be anywhere from $40k-100k

I would love to see mits debut an 82 inch or so laservue if the price is right ($5,000) id totally buy it

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis-r /forum/post/14213924

Based on my viewing distance, I could use a 80" diagnonal screen. I'd like to avoid front-projection. Anybody aware of rear-projection DLPs larger than 73" planning to be released in the future?

check out optoma 'bigvizion'; i think they offer up to 100" dlp rear pros; pricey.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/14221392

check out optoma 'bigvizion'; i think they offer up to 100" dlp rear pros; pricey.

Yeah, I thought I was onto something until I found they were nearly $40k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts