AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these 738 version DLP TV's look bad because of the screen material used.

I am returning mine for this reason.

do all Mits DLP's use such a bad screen material?

I can see little dark dots(grain) that can be seen the best with a white background. it looks really bad!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh great...I'm waiting for my 60738 to be delivered.Where did you buy?Was it new or open box?

I'm starting to think these are cheap for a reason.

Still...for $599 I suppose it's worth the hassle to get it fixed if there's a problem.

(fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you turn down the brightness/contrast? With as eye bleedingly bright as these come they tend to exhibit bad silk screen effect. In order to allow for a wide enough viewing angle to be useful the screen material has to be "textured" and that texture shimmers or looks like dirt on high contrast/high brightness material, but at a reasonable brightness it's not really noticible.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheezy /forum/post/19651955

Did you turn down the brightness/contrast? With as eye bleedingly bright as these come they tend to exhibit bad silk screen effect. In order to allow for a wide enough viewing angle to be useful the screen material has to be "textured" and that texture shimmers or looks like dirt on high contrast/high brightness material, but at a reasonable brightness it's not really noticible.

I notice it more with the brightness turned down.

so it's called the silk screen effect.... what a joke!

·
Registered
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV /forum/post/19655959

I notice it more with the brightness turned down.

so it's called the silk screen effect.... what a joke!

You act like you never heard of this before...or that you were unaware of it when purchasing a DLP??? Did you not do your homework before purchasing??? I have two DLP's and the picture with high def and bluray is fantastic. I can understand from someone who is a noob to high def technology but you have over 800 posts and did not know this? Wow!

Get it calibrated and don't look AT the screen but THROUGH the screen and you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman /forum/post/19659220

You act like you never heard of this before...or that you were unaware of it when purchasing a DLP??? I can understand from someone who is a noob to high def technology but you have over 800 posts and did not know this? Wow!

Get it calibrated and don't look AT the screen but THROUGH the screen and you should be OK.

i hear you.... I should have known before I made the purchase. well this is what I should had read first:

Silk Screen Effect (SSE) is a visual phenomenon seen in rear-projection televisions. SSE is described by viewers as seeing the texture of the television screen in front of the image. SSE may be found on all rear-projection televisions including DLP and Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS). The effect is most visible when viewing bright white or very light colored images. Viewers also report seeing "sparkles" when viewing very bright colored images.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Silk Screen Effect might be what you're seeing. It could also be that the mirror in the back of the set has a few speckles of dust. Either way if you are really sensitive to SSE turn down the contrast on the set. See if that helps.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorfsalad
silk screen effect is an inherent "flaw" with rear projection tvs. After a while though you don't notice it and forget its even there.
+1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.