AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nine year old sony is about to die and I need to replace it. I want to go atleast 75 inches. I have a big living room and plenty of space. I am considering purchasing the older sharp 80 inch 844u online or going to local dealer and buying the 75 inch samsung 6400 or 7100. The 8000 model is out of my price range. Of the three which would you get? Does the 7100 have that much of a better picture to warrant a $1000 increase over the 6400?

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Sorry to hear your set is about to quit on you. That said, nothing like a situation where you have to get a new one!

In general I'm always a fan of bigger = better. That said, I'm just not a fan of the 80" Sharps or Vizios. I've not seen every 80" Sharp properly dialed in, but watching the 632 and 844 for some hours I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I do like the 90" but that's out of your price range if the Samsung F8000 is.

I did a comparison of the 6400 and 7100. I compared 46" sets with an eye toward purchasing a 75" (comparing the 75" sets directly was not possible). I used the same settings for both (Buzz' settings from the F8000 thread; perhaps not perfect for a given set but much much closer to accurate than the in store torch mode).

The only difference I noticed was with the Cinema Black feature on the 7100. That's the feature that dims the black bars on 2.35:1 material. It was easy to see the difference and a noticeable improvement. Otoh things like the clear motion rate and such are "non features" to me because I do everything possible to disable most motion smoothing stuff.

At the time, the price difference was $1000 at 75". It's now $1500. As nice as the CB feature was, I couldn't justify the incremental cost. Funny enough, I subsequently learned that Cinema Black is NOT present in the 75" 7100 even though it's available across the rest of the 7100 line. To get it you have to go up to the 8000 (which brings additional improvements as well of course).

Anyway, I got the 6400 and haven't had a single regret. I love the thing, and I paid $4k for it. At $3500 I think it's a steal. I sit 11' from it and it's wonderful.

That said I know the 80" sets are even less, more like $31xx-$3200. If you can get them dialed in to your liking then maybe that's the better bet for you.

I'll end with this: my next set will be (at least) 84" and 4K. The 75" has done nothing but shrink

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for feedback. I was at my local costco yesterday and they had a display model sharp 844u on the shelf. They were selling for $2900. I bought it. After taxes and extended warranty (5 years) because I used Amex, it came to $3125.

Set it up last night and picture is awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts