AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

75 WPC enough for B&W 703?

411 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Alimentall
I love these speakers, they were more detailed than any other speakers I auditioned, even if they were above my price range. Not wanting to regret what I could be missing later, I stretched my HT budget to fit these speakers.

Now I need a receiver to power them, and the Rotel RSX-1067 I originally wanted is now too expensive. I am looking at the RSX-1056, but it only has 75WPC (even if is compares to 100-110 WPC of other companies).

Is 75WPC enough to power these speakers? They sounded plenty loud at the dealer, and I always can add a RMB-1075 (120x5) and bridge the RSX-1056 to 100x2 when I am ready to go to 7.1 (the Rotel is nice because it is a 5.1 amp but can process for 7.1 for the future).

So...is the 75WPC put out by the Rotel appropriate for the B&W 703's?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Don't read too much into "watts". It only takes 1 watt to make the 703 produce 90db. I'm sure you will be very happy. Of course, in the future, there will always be opportunities for you to upgrade.

Regards,

PolkThug
having more watts will not hurt...it will increase the clarity in times of need during soundtracks (lamens terms)...once you get the speakers and receiver set up, sit back and enjoy...if you think there is something missing then come back here and tell us...otherwise enjoy what you have and do not let anyone else tell you otherwise
Quote:
So...is the 75WPC put out by the Rotel appropriate for the B&W 703's?
Those B&W usually require power to bring out the best of them.

Once you can afford it though, you sort of answered your own question.

Quote:
...and I always can add a RMB-1075 (120x5) and bridge the RSX-1056 to 100x2 when I am ready to go to 7.1
I would say that you should use the 1075 for your front 3 channels by bridging the l/r channels and using the 1056 to power your rears and surrounds.

Your 703's will then be singing. :)
See less See more
Rotel is honest about their specs. So is Arcam, NAD and H/K, but that is about it. 75W from any of those companies is PLENTY.

Also, there is a canard about B&W needing a lot of power. This is not true. Kevlar does resonate at high volume and this sounds like the amp getting strained, but it's the speaker, not the amp.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.