AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Plasma. Which models should I be looking at in my budget of 7500.00...Don't hesitate to mention models that may be less than my budget & also if there is a model a little over my budget but worth it pls list that as well. I will be watching mostly DirectTV & some DVD's.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
as far as price range, availability and brand notwithstanding:

new, last year's models: 50" around $7,000, 42" around $3,000;

used last year"s models: 50" around $5,500, 42" round $3,000?

New, this year's models: 50" $11,500, 42" $4,500.

the problem seems to be availabilty if you are trying for the best deql on new units. (Dell has low prices, but is pushing the delivery farther away, now into december?) Internet dealers are in limited supply, although that is changing daily. The fujitsu 50" seems to be available and popular, the pioneer 50" has just appeared and is also much sought after (though no one has reported on it's PQ yet) everyone likes the panasonics and they seem to be available. pioneer is going to come out with a 43" set which shows promise, etc.

my guess is that today the Fujitsu 50" would be the best known quantity if you want to spend 11,500, the panasonic 42" if you want to spend 4,500, both of these being new (emphasis on today, since the pioneer is shipping this week). If you want to get the most performancel for 7,500, look at the used or last year's new pioneers.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
None of this years 42" models are $4500 unless you get something like Dell's 20% discount. They are about $5500 and up from reputable dealers.

Panasonic's is the generally considered leader, although the new NEC 42MP3 is garnering consideration. I imagine a new Fujitsu would also be worth looking at for a similar price.

Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
jlm, could you please show me where I can get a brand new 42" model from last year for around $3000?

Also isnt Pioneer the generally considered leader, they are releasing their 4th generation PDPs are they not?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
check out the classified section here, i think the 42" NEC is available in limited supply.

pioneer is definitely a leading developer of plas, but if you follow this forum, you will find many fuji, panny, nec advocates as well.

to say which is the best is dicey, at best.

for example, while many have raved about the panny because of its deepest blacks, a few have remarked that while deep, those blacks didn't resolve detail as well as the...

or that the 42" panny has a chronic hum problem on many units, or that the panny processor delays the video enough to cause 60 ms lip-sync delays.

on the other hand, the only criticism i have ever seen of the pioneer was that it was not a panny, blacks not as deep, etc.

personally, there are probably a few plasma dogs out there, the 42" fuji and the sony come to mind, but all the rest are pretty good; if you can't see them side by side, you would never be aware of any PQ shortcomings, (defective humming units notwithstanding). If you ever have the opportunity to see several side by side, make sure each one is optimized (good luck with that one).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
None of this years 42" models are $4500 unless you get something like Dell's 20% discount. They are about $5500 and up from reputable dealers.

Panasonic's is the generally considered leader, although the new NEC 42MP3 is garnering consideration. I imagine a new Fujitsu would also be worth looking at for a similar price.

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
For under 7500 you really should just look at two manufacturers. The 42-inch Panasonic (just released) and their is a new one that I saw from Fujitsu at CEDIA called the PDS4233. Those are the leaders in PQ and price. NEC is also competively priced but I do not belive the picture quality is there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.