AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which unit do you think is the best buy out of these 3 units? is the HD750 that much better than the epson and HD350 to justify the higher $$$? i watch mainly movies and sports in a light controlled room...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
What is the "best" $4000 projector right now anyways?

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is what Art had to say about the Epson 6500UB vs the JVC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorreviews.com /forum/post/0

Epson Home Cinema 6500UB vs. JVC DLA-RS1 and RS2, RS10 and RS20

The JVC DLA-RS10 and RS20 haven't arrived yet, but they are similar to the current RS1 and RS2 projectors to give you an idea. The RS1, and the new RS10 are significantly more expensive, with the RS10 expected to sell in the $4000 - $5000 range, so figure about half again as expensive as the Epson. That's a big price difference, and will figure in to many peoples' decisions.

As I frequently mention, I own a DLA-RS1 (current version is the RS1x - which is almost identical, except for some additional color controls). I have run the RS1 side by side with the Epson Home Cinema 6500UB. This is how I see the differences:

The JVC DLA-RS1 has better black levels - JVC is simply the best in this regard. The only projector I've seen that can beat the RS1, is the RS2. As good as the Epson Home Cinema 6500UB is, the JVC is visibly better.

The JVC is also more film like. The Epson isn't quite as bright in best mode, and handles a 110" screen about as well as the JVC handles a 128 inch screen. The lumen difference isn't as much as that size difference, so I'll attribute the remaining difference to those blacker blacks of the JVC. On the other hand, the JVC is only slightly brighter in brightest mode, thus no match for dealing with ambient light. I sure wish my RS1 had the roughly double the lumens of the Epson, when I'm watching sports with some ambient light. The JVC RS2 is only average in best mode brightness, a step down from the RS1 and well below the Epson. The difference between the RS2 and the Epson in brightest mode is even more significant.

All of these JVC projectors, and the Epson, have great placement flexibility. The JVC's have a little less lens shift range, however, that slight difference is not likely to matter for the vast majority of potential owners.

The JVC RS1 and RS2 (and we presume the newer models as well) is a natural - very film like, and their color accuracy, extremely good. Sharpness of the Epson 6500UB is a bit better than the JVC RS1 and RS2, both of which are "average" for 1080p projectors.

The images below are from side by side viewing. In all cases, the Epson is on the left, the JVC RS1 on the right In all cases, the RS1 is slightly brighter:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...ompetitors.php

I originally pre-ordered the 6500UB because I felt it was the best bang for the buck out of this generation of projectors and was a poor man's JVC. I re-looked at my finances and realized I could go for the JVC RS10 and screw the poor mans approche and just go for the real deal.

I have been living with the RS10 for about a week now and have almost 40 hours on it and I got to say the extra $$$$ over the Epson was well worth it. The JVC RS10 is awesome! There is nothing like true native 30,000:1 contrast, sure your giving up a little ANSI contrast for the native on/off but the trade off is well worth it IMO. If you can afford it go for a JVC its well worth the money. RS10 vs RS20 the RS10 is the better value but if you have the money and are willing to spend it the RS20 is the better projector.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had just the same question, and after discussing with Jason from AVS I ordered the RS10 (HD 350 equivalent) over the Epson and Sony HW10. From the reviews it is my understanding that RS10 has upgraded optics over RS1 (same as in RS20 / HD 750), and is significantly sharper. I had briefly a Mitsubishi 6500 which is supposed to be very sharp, but did not have horizontal shift for my setup (why they even called it horizontal shift I don't know, it's only +/- 4%). I'll report back about the RS10 when I get a functioning unit... Jason aldo mentioned that with the reflective technology, the image is brighter even if the quoted ANSI lumens are higher on the Epson.

Finally, I do not think there will be a significant price difference between the RS10 and Epson 7500. True, you get the extra lamp, but are you really going to use it? I have now a 2 year old Panasonic 720p, and I only put ~600 hours on it. Even if you use your projector daily for ~3 hours, the lamp should last you for approximately 2 years.

With an extra lamp, you will have another 2. If you think you can resist upgraditis that is running rampant among the members of this forum, the extra lamp is a good deal, but otherwise I don't think it is worth it. For my personal use, I am sure the 2000 hours will be more than enough for the time I am going to keep the projector....

Good luck with your choice, they are all very good projectors.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 /forum/post/15565941

If you import one. A few members have imported a VW80 from Australia for around 4K.

And has anyone got an answer out of Sony USA as to why the VW80 isn't available in the States and instead you get the motionflow less VW70 at twice the price?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire /forum/post/15565804

Sony VW80 hands down.

Seriously? The JVC RS-10 streets for under $4K and has 30K+ native contrast, 1000 D65 calibrated lumens and cleans up in all departments (except perfectly accurate color points), I wasn't aware that the VW80 was $4K street?

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb /forum/post/15566203

Seriously? The JVC RS-10 streets for under $4K and has 30K+ native contrast, 1000 D65 calibrated lumens and cleans up in all departments (except perfectly accurate color points), I wasn't aware that the VW80 was $4K street?

At D65, 30k:1 and 1000 lumens?

http://www.cine4home.de/news/JVCHD75...iew.htm#Update

Scroll down a bit for the HD350

·
Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/15566346

At D65, 30k:1 and 1000 lumens?

http://www.cine4home.de/news/JVCHD75...iew.htm#Update

Scroll down a bit for the HD350

Cine4Home's numbers are from a pre-production HD350. These number will give you an Idea of what the RS10/HD350 can do but you shouldn't quote them because numbers can change from a pre-production unit to a production model.

Jason at AVS measured 16,000:1 contrast with a little over 900 lumen's with the manual iris open. He got 33,000:1 contrast with just under 400 lumen's with the iris closed all the way down. These were measured on a production RS10 and will give you a more accurate representation of what the RS10/HD350 can do.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 /forum/post/15566543

Cine4Home's numbers are from a pre-production HD350. These number will give you an Idea of what the RS10/HD350 can do but you shouldn't quote them because numbers can change from a pre-production unit to a production model.

Jason at AVS measured 16,000:1 contrast with a little over 900 lumen's with the manual iris open. He got 33,000:1 contrast with just under 400 lumen's with the iris closed all the way down. These were measured on a production RS10 and will give you a more accurate representation of what the RS10/HD350 can do.

But he didn't get 33k:1 and over 900 lumens at the same time which is why I referenced the Cine4Home data to show how you get either high on/off or high lumens but not both at the same time as was indicated in the previous post.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/15566659

But he didn't get 33k:1 and over 900 lumens at the same time which is why I referenced the Cine4Home data to show how you get either high on/off or high lumens but not both at the same time as was indicated in the previous post.

No you don't, the RS10 is a hotroded RS1, and the RS20 a hotrodded RS2.

The RS1 does 15,000:1 and about 700 lumens.

The new RS10 is the 2nd Gen version of the RS1 and does 16,000:1 and over 900 lumens. So you get a tad more on/off on the RS10 with more lumens. If your willing to give up some of that brightness you can set the manual iris on the RS10 to the 2nd position and cut the lumens down to around 600 but get 22,000:1 on/off in return. Set the iris to the 3rd postion and get 33,000:1 on/off but at the expense of only 400 lumens. So if your willing to close the iris on the RS10 on/off wise is competitive with the RS2 for less money.

The RS20 is the same you can get around 33,000:1 on/off with around 700+ lumens (depending on throw) but close the manual iris (the RS20 has 15 points to set the iris at, unlike the RS10's 3 point) and you can achieve as much as 50,000:1.

EDIT:

I'll say this, I replaced a Sony HS51a 720p LCD front projector rated at 1200 lumens with the JVC RS10. Even with the iris all the way closed down (400ish lumens) the RS10 is still a hell of a lot brighter then the Sony ever was, the RS10 compared to the Sony is flipping BRIGHT!
With the iris open the JVC in my room is like a light cannon!

You can't always compare spec's on paper, it's always best to see them for yourself. And with the JVC's if you see one at a dealer ask where the iris is set at because if you find it not bright enough for you, your dealer may have the iris all the way closed down and you should ask them to open it before you wright it off. The RS10 & RS20 are very flexible projectors.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 /forum/post/15566962

No you don't,...

So we're in agreement then that to say "has 30K+ native contrast, 1000 D65 calibrated lumens" is in fact misleading at best.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/15567688

So we're in agreement then that to say "has 30K+ native contrast, 1000 D65 calibrated lumens" is in fact misleading at best.

It's only misleading because that's what all the other manufactures do and JVC felt they had to compete.

Do you really think the Epson 6500UB/7500UB can do 75,000:1 on/off contrast @ D65 with 1600 lumans?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have compared the JVC HD750 / RS20 against an Epson 5000 (should be equivalent to american 6500/7500) in germany.

Even with the price difference of MSRP 3300 euro against 6000 euro I took the RS20.

In lamp high mode the Epson is louder compared to JVC in lamp high.

In best contrast mode the Epson was not as bright as the JVC RS20.

Even with fully opened iris on the JVC the black level was better although the Epson is not bad at all.

Sadly I could spot the iris working and dimming down the bright elements of dark scenes :-(

Also the iris makes a grumbling noise that could be heard in silent scenes.

If you sacrifice color temperature accuracy you can use one of the high output modes of the Epson, then it is brighter. This is good for watching sports etc.

I did not like the motion interpolation.

- It ruins the movie look too much

- 2 out of 4 test movies showed artifacts that were pretty annoying (stuttering, tearing in objects etc.)

I guess it comes down to what your preferences are and how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks all for the replies. sounds like the premium that you pay for the JVC units are justified, although the epson is a very fine machine as well.

thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts