AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have enough Panasonic 75u/711xu owners now, I'd like to take a sample. What size is your screen (please list as width and height), what size is the wall it sits on (width and height), and what is your seating distance?

Projector

- Panasonic LC75U

- Ceiling mounted (Future, currently Desk Mounted)

- No Incline (I hope)

Screen

- Screen Type: Undetermined but leaning towards Da-Lite HCCV

- Ratio: 16x9

- Width: 108"

- Wall Width: 174" (14' 6")

- Wall Height: 104" (8' 8") - With possible 12 to 16" soffit

- Seating Distance: 168" (14')

- Projector Disance: Don't know yet

I'm wrestling with screen size. My 1st course seating is about 14' back from the wall. Right now I've got an 8'w sheet hanging on the wall and the picture looks great. I'm wrestling with going with a 9'w 1.85 screen. That gives me about 3' on either side of the screen for speaker placement, and puts me right at 1.5x seating distance.

Thoughts, and please post your setup.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Great- I finally get a projector, and now I have room envy! Your setup sounds awesome!

EDIT: I changed the seating distances as I have a couch and chair in an L. The chair is farther from the screen than the couch.

Projector

- Panasonic LC75U

- Ceiling mounted

- Slight downward incline (keystone -1)

Screen

- Screen Type: Parkland Plastic homemade ( Order info )

- Width: 72"

- Wall Width: 120" (10')

- Wall Height: 88" (7'4")

- Seating Distance: 120" and 144" (10' and 12')

- Projector Distance: 124" (10'2")

Looks great from this distance with zero calibration. I am projecting onto a bedsheet for now, but will be assembling my screen tonight and then monkeying around with the PJ settings.

-Zak

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zmash,

superb post. The formatting and information presented is both logical and well flowing with a nice summary at the end. Your format should be the template for future posts to this thread. In fact, I'm going to edit mine :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also would like to know distance from screen to PJ. Is there anything in your manual which shows the video resolution in lines....usually a number like 400, 500, 550 etc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
robertmee-

Thanks, this is a great thread! I am very interested in hearing how other people are using this PJ!

Chris Otto-

The Panny is 122" from the screen. I modified my original post, and also corrected the seating distance(s).

Wonderment-

Progressive video registers as 525p. Does that answer your question?

-Zak

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Would you mind also putting in what kind of screen you're using? I.e. Da-Lite high contrast .85 gain, etc etc..?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HT - Good Idea...I modified my post

·
Registered
485 Posts
HTCrazy-

I am going the DIY route with the Parkland Plastic that Ron Geyer discovered. I have updated my post as well and added links.

-Zak

·
Registered
457 Posts
Projector

- Panasonic L711XU

- Ceiling mounted

- 3" Downward Incline :(

Screen

- Screen Type: Da-Lite HCCV stretched over 1/2" Gatorfoam

- Width: 107"

- Wall Width: ~17'

- Wall Height: 7' 9"

- Seating Distance: 15'

- Projector Distance: ~16'8"

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TWilly,

Your setup seems close to what I want...With the 107" wide screen how is:

1) screen door at your 15'

2) the spacing from your screen to the side walls...Plenty, Tight...You have 16', I have a 18" less than that. How do you think that size screen would fit into my space, width wise?

·
Registered
133 Posts
TWilly,

That sounds like the exact setup I am planning. One question: Is the projector zoomed in or out with that setup? I was afraid if I placed the projector that far back I'd need to zoom in to the max which wouldn't allow me to further zoom 4:3 material if I wanted in to fit in the 16:9 screen. I know there is s4:3 but I'd like to take full advantage of all the pixels if I hook up a PC to play games.

Edit: When I say "zoom in" I mean zoom so the image is as small as possible.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
With the 107" wide screen how is:

1) screen door at your 15'

2) the spacing from your screen to the side walls...Plenty, Tight...You have 16', I have a 18" less than that. How do you think that size screen would fit into my space, width wise?
1) Screen door is there but not very noticable. I tried the "slight de-focus" trick, and decided that I like the slight screen door better than the slight de-focus.

2) WAY more than enough room on each side. I don't think you'll have ANY issues, even with 18" less space.
Quote:
Is the projector zoomed in or out with that setup?
It is partially zoomed. At first, I was trying to calculate the zoom so it would JUST FIT the full 1024x768 when zoomed in (according to your definition - personally, I think this is zoomed out), and then have just a little overscan when zoomed out watching the 576 lines (either in 16:9 mode or in s4:3). But:

1) There are a lot of tweaks going on with:

. a) The screen (flat on the wall, then away from the wall)

. b) The projector, trying to get it level would make it so I don't need any Keystone, which I use right now. That will change the picture size

2) If I put it as far back as possible, it was going to be too close to the pool table, and I was afraid that cues might do some damage

3) I wasn't going to do any gaming, or if I did, it was going to be XBox or PS2, where the game could probably be shown in 16:9 mode

4) There were too many measurements that had to be JUST RIGHT to make that work, and those measurements couldn't change over time

So in the end, I decided to put the PJ halfway between zoomed in and zoomed out, and tweak as little as possible. Even with it like that, it turns out that many DVDs (esp. Disney), even if they call themselves 16:9, are not really 16:9, and I have to tweak the zoom in or out.

If the 711 had an auto-zoom that I could have set up with a remote macro, I probably would have tried a little harder to make this work. But I don't want to manually zoom very often.

·
Registered
133 Posts
TWilly you make a good case for a half way zoom. I think that will be my initial setup, at least until I get a new computer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll post my setup after I get the projector and screen setup (hopefully this weekend. I am shooting for around 104" diagonal 16:9, that should come out to about 50" high by 90" wide for the screen.

Projector is the Panny 75U (on it's way :) )

Not sure on projector location yet because of the short throw lense the 75U has, but it will be ceiling mounted with a slight down angle. I will probably have it so the has zoom play both ways from the 16:9 center mark.

The screen wall is 15'8" wide by 7'1" tall.

Screen to first row is 13'6".

Screen to second row is 18'.

Rob

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Rob-

The throw distance on the 75u is comparable to the 711xu. Panasonic has an online calculator you can use to get a rough idea of where the PJ needs to go. It's off by 5-10%, so definitely don't start drilling until you get the projector!

-Zak

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know there are lots more 75u/711 setups out there...Let's go people :D

Side Note:

Anybody tried the transcoder with the 75u, giving you access to RGB controls. Is it worth $180 over the component breakout?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Projector

- Panasonic L75U

- Ceiling mounted

- No incline

Screen

- Screen Type: 1/4" Hardboard painted Glidden Flat Veil Gray

- Ratio: 4:3

- Width: 64"

- Wall Width: 10' 1"

- Wall Height: 7' 3"

- Seating Distance: 10'

- Projector Distance: ~9'

·
Registered
280 Posts
My DIY screen is 108" wide. The 711Xu easily fills this screen with more than adequate brightness, even in the lower lumen mode, even if I paint the screen light gray. In fact, I zoomed as wide as I could for the heck of it, up to about 11 feet wide, and found the picture so immersive that even the screen door did not bother me. At 15' from the 108" screen, I found screen door a complete non-factor. If my room were deeper than it is, and my ceilings were higher, I would be watching a 12' wide screen from about 20 feet and would expect no screen-door problems and (with the 711, maybe not the 75u) plenty of brightness (with lights controlled).

The only reason I didn't keep my 711 is the lack of contrast, compared to other projectors I have seen in my home, like the Sanyo XP21 or the NEC LT-150 (and a slight lack of sharpness--I think due to the diffusiveness of the MLA--compared, for example, to the Sanyo PLV-60). Once you have seen projectors with higher contrast, it is hard to settle for anything less. Having said that, I would rate the 711---and I'm sure the 75u is in the same league--as a stellar performer in the class of projectors with rated contrast around 400:1.

Mike

P.S. Although you didn't ask, let me add that I found an HTPC with a Radeon 7500 a superlative partner for the 711, distinctly superior to the well-regarded Panny RP56 DVD player, which was nevertheless very good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.