AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Story: (to skip to the good stuff scroll down)

Yesterday mid morning, while in the middle of cleaning up and readying the future HT room for my new baby, the brown truck arrived. I did a quick, so-so light control of the room. (I know I've had 6 months to get ready but reading this forum eats up a lot of time!) I set up my rummage sale Da-lite glass bead portable screen, with my DIY HD pull down shade screen layered on top of that. Plugged in the SVideo from my

Tosh SD9200 DVD player and popped in the nearest DVD I had at hand, Johnny Mnemonic. The screens in this quick and dirty set up where set up only about 7' away.

First impression out of the box . . good, more or less what I expected, not spectacular.

Contrasty scenes , there’s a 'cyber world internet neuron thing' that opens it up and it looked pretty impressive. No motion artifacts, no jaggies, no dead pixels that I can notice. Blacks where dark gray and the screendoor was def. noticeable to me. I threw a dark gray sheet over one side of my DIY screen and some lt.. gray strechy fabric from Joann's over the other. The Joan's stuff showed promise. Blacks got much closer to black overall brightness and color stayed good. Dark gray sheet was just too darkening overall. Tried component via breakout briefly and didn't see a lot of major improvement.

I shut down thinking "It should get better with proper set up. I knew I was making compromise re. screendoor with LCD. Not a bad start. No DLP headache and less than $2300 delivered. I've got a little bulb time and 5 days to return or 30 days to trade up. We'll see how it goes. . ."

The Good Stuff:

After dark I reset the room. I drape and tape Joann's gray strechy fabric over a 10' length of 1/2" electric conduit and balance it on top of the tri pod screen holder near the back wall of the room. Cable is adjusted to move the PJ further out into the room to meet the screen placement. Screen in 100" wide, 108'diag? Sitting 12-15' away from screen. The room is painted white by the way and I'm using no masking. I pop on the same DVD and focus. HMMM now we're getting somewhere ! I go into the menus and start tweaking to taste. Low power mode- just as nice or nicer, standard picture changed to dynamic, contrast boosted a tad. Uh uh uh I can feel it, I think I'm gonna, it's happening, ..... WOW !

I pop in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And start tweaking some more. Some tweaks on the DVD player, some more on the PJ. Color temp. set to low warms up everything to my liking for now. A few more player and PJ contrast color and brightness tweaks (I didn't note exact settings yet sorry) and I start getting absorbed in the image. I forgot to turn the subtitles on and I've never watched this flick before. I can't move to get up and turn them on. This image is KILLING ME!

Desert scenes; gorgeous desert colors and skin tones, no action/ motion

artifacts or jaggies that I can see ... Mesmerizing !

Town square scene; procession on horseback in red uniforms . .beautiful!

Nighttime scenes; Still engrossing a wonderful to watch. Not gray and

washed out at all. Perhaps some detail is missing at the contrast / bright

levels I've set but for now I don't care.

I briefly demo Fantasia 2000, Hoosiers, The Great Escape and Grateful Dawg. Everything shows really nicely to excellent except the poorly shot Grateful Dawg handycam stuff which is not the PJ's fault in the least.

In Short:

I'm ordering the ceiling mount, this thing is a keeper! I had demoed the Sharp 9000 (twice), the 11HT , the Sanyo xp20(?) the Panny 711XU and the Yamaha DLP and a (poorly set up?) Runco CRT. I assumed I would be accepting a compromise with a noticeably more 'digital' picture going the cheap LCD route but since the DLP's all gave me headaches and where very pricey. I figured go with cheap for now, upgrade to new technology in a few years and 'Dig the Big' in the meanwhile. I was wrong, while not perfect , (zero screen door would be better), even on a $12. DIY greyscreen this PJ produces a beautiful picture. I don't believe I will not be sitting there wishing I had spent more or gotten one of those other PJ's. With masking, and darker room paint this experience will only get better. A real screen (the HCCV perhaps, I'm not sure I need one) ,, and an HTPC if I decide to build one, could only be icing on what's already a very sweet cake indeed.

Hopefully to come;

My buddy is a studio photographer with two high end digital cameras. I like to do professional screen shots with him that display on the monitor, as close to reality as we can get them to display. Chuck McDevvit is in town and generously let me preview his 711XU. Perhaps we can get these two PJ's side by side for a shootout??

A better organized FAQ or newsletter ?? I'll contribute what I can.

One Question;

The picture mode on the Panny showed as '525i' even when fed progressive component from the tosh sd9200 via breakout cable. It was not a changeable setting on the PJ. I'm not sure what's up with that..anyone know?

"I want to thank the Academy" ;

Thank You AVS member and AVS Forum The process of reading others exploits and expertise has been encouraging as well as entertaining. Special thanks to the Panny owners who came before and encouraged with reviews, screen pic.s etc.

honcho who's shootout started it all,DM, picturestory, Dave Bugg,Chuck McDevvit, visualnic,rcweiss, HackzWebamaster,DMerrill,pfennig,visualnic,Skip Hunt, DisTress,Expat007,Jogafu,AngryofMayfair,charlies,Latecome,da vyo,prefect,Chrisreeves

(even though your skipped for the Sharp) and HTcrazy.. still on the fence. .your day will come. Sorry if I forgot anyone. .

-bonedog

ps. I'll post in the screen forum re. my Joann's grey screen later this week.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
As I understand it 480p and 525p are one in the same...Something about all progressive signals are 525p but only 480 lines are shown? If we get the definitive answer, somebody please add it to the 75u FAQ thread.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
As I understand it 480p and 525p are one in the same...
I believe they are the same. I only am concerned with actual ACTIVE lines of video signal, the rest contain no picture data, it is just part of the carrier signal.

I don't know why the 525 business either, I think it's just fruity and only adds to confusion. I know that displays (computer and TV) often need inactive lines, but I don't count them in part of the picture resolution.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This 525I thing will take some further looking into. I have progressive selected on the Tosh menu unless I'm screwing something up there. There's nothing to set on the projector in this regard, is there?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put up a bid request at projectorcentrral.com if you have'nt already. When i get a chance I will email you guys with the detail. Some seem to be getting quotes of $2200.

I don't know who they're dealing with. -Noam

re. 525I, I can't seem to get the Tosh to switch to progressive even though I click through the proper menus. Perhaps it 'looking for something' from the display?? Or it's a glitch with my player. I'll post on the DVD hardware forum with the questin I guess. -sbd

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I started the deal of $2200 along with Safaa for the 75u. If anyone is interested PM me, and I'll give you the details.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Got my projector today :)

All I can say is....WOWWWWWW

I stapled an 8' bedsheet on my framed HT wall, hooked up my RP56 with the Canare cables, set the PJ and DVD to 16:9 and plugged in SHREK. No adjustments yet, no tweaking, no nothing. Sure, SHREK is an easy play for a PJ, but still. My wife and son were like, that picture is better than the at the movies. Look how Green Shrek is. Look how red the flowers are. I could see screen door at less than 3' away, but after that, it was non-existent.

I'll look more closely tomorrow for screen door, dead pixels, etc, but first impressions are this projector is great!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad to hear you are very happy with your purchase. I am getting ready to take the plunge. The theater is almost complete. I finished the ceiling and the carpet is coming tomorrow. All I have to do is find the $2500 under a rug somewhere to buy it :) Have to finish paying off all the other bills from the whole basement finish project.

Let us know some more details when you have time.

Rob

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Okay, so the wife called from work today...

Normally, Wednesday is our eat out night....She's begging to stay home so we can work on the theater. Promised to make dinner and everything. I should have bought one of these projectors a long time ago ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats Robert. My 15 year old son has become my videophile buddy, My wife thinks it's pretty cool but overagll generously indulges my hobby for now . I'm sure will enjoy it more once the room is really set up. Robert are you getting the pj to recognize progressive signal from the rp56? Go into the menu under picture and you should see the mode near the bottom of the menu list.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Bonedog,

Yes, my Picture says 525p....Originally, it said 525i, but theres a small button and indicator on the front of the RP56 that's labeled "progressive out". Press this, the indicator light comes on, and voila, progressive signal to the 75u.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
While checking out the 525i vs 525p for bonedog, I took a little more critical look at the picture, now past the initial WOW factor. Displaying the blue screen, I can see screen door on an 8' Wide screen at about 8' back, with sharp focus. If I soften the focus, it disappears. If I move back to my viewing distance of about 13', with sharp focus it disappears. I pretty much get the same experience on a screen image. Freezing Shrek's shirt (light on dark), I can't see it at 13'. I'm very well pleased.

Of course, this was done a few minutes ago, and I have quite a bit of ambient light in my basement right now. Does a darkened room help or hinder screen door effect. Based on last night vs this afternoon, I notice more screendoor in the afternoon. I was so wow'd last night, I didn't notice any unless I was 3 or 4' away. Of course this was in a pitch black room except for moonlight through the window.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got my progressive mode to work. There was an obscure button under the flap of the remote labled colorstream output. That did it yeah . . though I can't see a whole lot of PQ improvement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.