AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the limits of the picture size control with a video input on the 75u - i.e., how much smaller (%) can the picture be made.

I imaging making it larger sends aspects of the image outsize the viewable resolution of the projector.

My question more specifically pertains to making the image smaller and using the picture size control for this.

Specifically, I need to reduce the picture size a small amount. I anticipate hitting the limit of the zoom and yielding a picture size I need to reduce by about 10% through scaling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm.... where's 'picture size' control? There is a position control, but no sizing control (other than "don't resize") that I know of.

Are you thinking of digital zoom? That can make an image up to 3x bigger (via RGB, 2x via video). Unfortunately, you can't use digital zoom if you turn off resizing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a 75u manual, I was looking at a 'picture size' setting from a 711U - this seems to have very similar menus to the 75u, but there could be some different functions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want to use one screen for both 4:3 and 16:9 you are out of luck. You'll need a 1.3 zoom lens for that. The 75u only has a 1.2, the 711 however does have a 1.3 lens. You can use a 16:9 screen to watch 4:3 if you don't mind some of the picture spilling off the screen. The other option is to place you PJ on a coffee table so you can move it forward and backwards when you switch between widescreen and standard view.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the proj. last night. (love it - very pleased - matt white screen willl be fine with our lighting conditions).

92" wide is a must for 2.35:1; BUT - for casual 4:3 viewing it's toooo big;

Thus; two options:

1: get a 16:9 format screen and watch 4:3 with overspill or in S4:3 (looks fine)

2. get 92" wide 4:3 screen and use full field for 4:3 and if frustrated with the size for some viewing zoom down and live with some overspill or build some custom masking. This gives me poor masking for 4:3; but preserve GIANT 4:3 for DVD music; IMAX DVDs; computer input. The only poorly masked 4:3 would be the occasional show on satellite.

I will probably go with #2. In a dark room you don't see the masking anyway.

3. Two manual pulldowns; a 92"W 16:9 and an 80"W 4:3; use zoom between them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.